Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Anyone know an online master's program in translation?
Thread poster: Rob Albon
Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2004

I am looking for an online U.S. graduate program in translation or in French which culminates in a terminal master's degree. A Ph.D. program would be even better.

The program should be from a U.S. university or at least a university accredited in the U.S. I have seen some programs in South Africa (UNISA) and other locations around the world, so any input from those who have gotten an MA from those universities and suceeded in landing a job in U.S. academe would also be greatly appre
... See more
I am looking for an online U.S. graduate program in translation or in French which culminates in a terminal master's degree. A Ph.D. program would be even better.

The program should be from a U.S. university or at least a university accredited in the U.S. I have seen some programs in South Africa (UNISA) and other locations around the world, so any input from those who have gotten an MA from those universities and suceeded in landing a job in U.S. academe would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected].
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
just a little internet-savvy advice Jun 27, 2004

Hi Rob, sorry I can't help you with finding the program but I do have one suggestion: Create an email address (e.g. [email protected]) for all internet activity relating to this. Otherwise, particularly due to this topic, you risk getting innundated with spam.
I apologize if I'm stating the obvious. Good luck with your search.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
replies would be welcome here Jun 27, 2004

Others would be interested in this topic, too.

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
try NYU Jun 27, 2004

Rob Albon wrote:

I am looking for an online U.S. graduate program in translation or in French which culminates in a terminal master\'s degree. A Ph.D. program would be even better.

The program should be from a U.S. university or at least a university accredited in the U.S. I have seen some programs in South Africa (UNISA) and other locations around the world, so any input from those who have gotten an MA from those universities and suceeded in landing a job in U.S. academe would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

I remember coming across a translation program (MA program)offered by NYU partly done online. This program requires the candidate be trilingual. While you can do part of the program online, you do need to be on campus for a certain amount of time. You can find more info on their website.

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU courses Jun 27, 2004

Tingting Huang wrote:
I remember coming across a translation program (MA program)offered by NYU...

Tingting,
Thank you for your reply. I am actually enrolled in the French certificate program at NYU. I originally enrolled in the hopes of entering their MA program (they advertised heavily in 2002) but theat program has now disappeared it seems.

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Schools that offer Masters degrees in Translation Jun 28, 2004

Hi Rob,

This link contains a list of schools which offer Masters degrees in translation:

http://www.lexicool.com/courses_usa.asp

Here's a few of them, the list is too long to paste it on here:

MA in Translation
University of Arkansas

Master's Degree in Translation
University of Milwauke

MA in Spanish:
... See more
Hi Rob,

This link contains a list of schools which offer Masters degrees in translation:

Here's a few of them, the list is too long to paste it on here:

MA in Translation
University of Arkansas

Master's Degree in Translation
University of Milwauke

MA in Spanish: Option in Translation
Rutgers University, New Jersey

Master of Arts in Translation Studies
Translation Center, University of Massachusetts Amherst

MA in Translation and Interpretation
Monterey Institute of International Studies

Good luck!

Belkis

[Edited at 2004-06-28 15:46]
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 19:09
English to German
Found one in England... Jun 28, 2004

Hey there,

http://info.uwe.ac.uk/courses/viewCourse.asp?URN=11474&stream=

is the only distance learning MA in Translation I could come up with.

Good Luck

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are these online or correspondence? Jun 28, 2004

Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet wrote:

Belkis,
Thanks for the input, but are these distance education (online or correspondence) programs or are they traditional onsite programs?
Best, Rob

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Has anyone taken classes here? Jun 28, 2004

Jalapeno wrote:

http://info.uwe.ac.uk/courses/viewCourse.asp?URN=11474&stream=

is the only distance learning MA in Translation I could come up with.

Jalapeno,
Thanks, this is what I am looking for, online, accredited programs--I had hoped for U.S. programs but they seem to be few and far between. Have you actually taken any courses here? anyone else? Best, Rob ALbon

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 19:09
English to German
No, I haven't Jul 1, 2004

Hey there,

no, I haven't taken that course. I just researched the subject a bit a few months back because I was originally planning to get an MA by distance learning. The University of the West of England is the only distance course I found. I have now decided to get my MA the traditional way by just going to university.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mark Edmundson
Mark Edmundson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
French to English
+ ...
I have Just Applied to UWE Jul 2, 2004

Hi there
I have just applied to UWE to do the Masters in Translation Studies (Distance Learning). I graduated from Kings College London with a degree in French in 1998, and immediately had to find gainful employment due to the fact that living in London had seriously sapped my resources! Therefore I took a PGCE course at Durham university (for which there were plenty of bursaries!) and went into teaching in a Comprehensive school in the North of England (11-16).
I had given up my tr
... See more
Hi there
I have just applied to UWE to do the Masters in Translation Studies (Distance Learning). I graduated from Kings College London with a degree in French in 1998, and immediately had to find gainful employment due to the fact that living in London had seriously sapped my resources! Therefore I took a PGCE course at Durham university (for which there were plenty of bursaries!) and went into teaching in a Comprehensive school in the North of England (11-16).
I had given up my true dream simply because of financial reasons. I feel restless teaching, and to be quite honest, underchallenged (academically, that is). I searched online for a masters course in Translation Studies and also came up with the course at UWE. I decided to ask some questions and so rang the course leader. She was extremely helpful and gave me lots of good advice. She actually said that the majority of people doing this masters course were current teachers, who had gone into teaching simply to earn a living after university. I have now applied for the course, which seems interesting. It is very flexible, in that it is up to you how many units you cover in any one academic year. The first 2 years (or 120 credits), qualify you for a postgraduate diploma in translation and the final year is a 15000 word thesis which gains you the masters.

I am now waiting to hear if I have been accepted, but will keep trying if not, as translation is my dream profession

I have started doing voluntary work for UN Online and also Traducteurs sans Frontières. I have picked up the odd piece of freelance work also, which I can juggle with marking books etc. The lady in charge of the course said that most people pick up little pieces of work whilst doing the course and this increases as you go.

Anyway, this is a long winded essay/reply, but I hope that this helps some!
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online linguistics master's degree in Australia at Univ. New England Jul 3, 2004

Mark Edmundson wrote: "...I have just applied to UWE to do the Masters in Translation Studies (Distance Learning)..."

Mark, hope to hear from you again on UWE!

On another note, I found this online program in Australia. I have emailed them asking for more information but so far no reply, which really does not encourage me, although otherwise the program looked very promising:
http://www.une.edu.au/arts/LCL/disciplines/linguistics/appl_ling.htm

[Edited at 2004-07-03 04:28]

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU Online Translation MA cancelled Jul 9, 2004

It's official, I received a letter from NYU confirming that they no longer offer an online master's in translation studies.

I also asked about their "online" master's in educational design, i.e., designing online language eductation courses and courseware. Apparently this course requires three appearances a semester in New York, so in my book that isn't really "online".

As for University of New England in Australia, I am still awaiting their reply to my qu
... See more
It's official, I received a letter from NYU confirming that they no longer offer an online master's in translation studies.

I also asked about their "online" master's in educational design, i.e., designing online language eductation courses and courseware. Apparently this course requires three appearances a semester in New York, so in my book that isn't really "online".

As for University of New England in Australia, I am still awaiting their reply to my queries. I sent a second round of emails to everyone in their online linguistics program.

[Edited at 2004-07-09 01:04]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
German to English
+ ...
Contact the ATA? Jul 9, 2004

Rob,
You might want to contact the ATA. I know they have a publication out about all of the available translation courses in the US. I know for sure that Monterey Institute (MIIS) only offers on-site courses.
Cheers,
Daina (MIIS grad)

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Would you consider translation studies too? Jul 11, 2004

Dear Rob,
if you'd consider a MA degree in translation studies and distance learning you might want to check

http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/prospectus/ODL/odlTransCours.htm

HTH

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know an online master's program in translation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »