How can I add subtitles to an MP4 file and return back an MP4 again?
Thread poster: Becks Trece
Becks Trece
Becks Trece
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2015

Hi

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this. I have always use srt. files for subtitles, but this new client is asking me to provide the translated videos back to them as MP4 files, and I´ve got no idea how to do it!

Can someone assist, please?

thanks!

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 14:28
English to Italian
+ ...
It's called permanent embedding Jun 30, 2015

You need to burn in the subs with professional tools e.g. Final Cut Pro. You can find cheap tools online but the result is far from attractive and professional.

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 17:58
Tamil to English
+ ...
How can I add subtitles to an MP4 file and return back an MP4 again? Jun 30, 2015

You need a video encoder/video editing tool to do this. If you don't want to spend money on this go for any opensource video editor like VidCode Beta and load your MP4 video and srt file then encode it as MP4 again .But this will compress your video quality to some extent. Decide on the compression bit rate you would need .

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Is this good enough? Jun 30, 2015

This is DVD resolution (720x480):

It is a screen capture from a DVD I subtitled for a client a while ago. I am using the same process for HD and FHD, they look great projected on a 6 ft. tall screen. Haven't tried it for UHD yet.

It was done with free VirtualDub, with the Subtitle
... See more
This is DVD resolution (720x480):

It is a screen capture from a DVD I subtitled for a client a while ago. I am using the same process for HD and FHD, they look great projected on a 6 ft. tall screen. Haven't tried it for UHD yet.

It was done with free VirtualDub, with the Subtitle plugin by Avery Lee, the original author - http://www.virtualdub.org .

For the record, among others, I do have Sony Vegas, the AVS4YOU suite, the full Any Video Converter, and did have Pinnacle Studio (stopped upgrading after I bought Vegas), which some are the PC programs to do Final Cut's work. Yet I always prefer to burn subtitles with the good ol' VirtualDub.

However freeware has its non-pecuniary costs, in the case of VirtualDub:
  • It only works with AVI files;
  • You'll need GOOD video format converters;
  • You must know the nuts & bolts inside a SSA subtitles file;
  • You must have an adequate assortment of codecs (VD won't sort them out for you);
  • Instructions for VirtualDub are rather skimpy, and there is no extensive 'help';
  • Troubleshooting is sometimes puzzling;
    in a nutshell...
  • You must REALLY know what you are doing in every detail!
Collapse

Becks Trece
Becks Trece
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Monica Jul 6, 2015

Monica Paolillo wrote:

You need to burn in the subs with professional tools e.g. Final Cut Pro. You can find cheap tools online but the result is far from attractive and professional.

Becks Trece
Becks Trece
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all who replied Jul 6, 2015

I managed to sort it out over the weekend!

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I add subtitles to an MP4 file and return back an MP4 again?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »