Thread poster: Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 16, 2015

I just got new MacBook Pro (yay!) but where are my Polish fonts???

i did choose the Polish keyboard in preferences, and switched to Polish flag on top, but thought I would be able to use option+letter to get letters with diacritics. Doesn't seem to work... I am new to Mac, coming off PC. I looked at keyboard preview, and think that is going to take a while now to get used to new location of the letters, and a with diacritic being ' key etc. Additionally I don't see letters S (as in
... See more
I just got new MacBook Pro (yay!) but where are my Polish fonts???

i did choose the Polish keyboard in preferences, and switched to Polish flag on top, but thought I would be able to use option+letter to get letters with diacritics. Doesn't seem to work... I am new to Mac, coming off PC. I looked at keyboard preview, and think that is going to take a while now to get used to new location of the letters, and a with diacritic being ' key etc. Additionally I don't see letters S (as in swiat) and Z (as in zdzblo) HELP!
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
McPolish Apr 17, 2015

Ivona wrote: I just got new MacBook Pro

Congrats! I just sent you a PM. A bit late, I'm afraid.

In the System Preferences (below the ), go to Keyboard | Input Sources, click on the + sign to add Polish (there's also Polish Pro, whatever that is).

Select the Polish keyboard at the top right of our screen:

Try out the Polish keyboard. A great help is selecting the Keyboard Viewer (under the Polish flag), and start playing with the dead keys.

Like this:

However, I don't know if you can use that keyboard under Windows...

(Sorry, don't know anything about Polish, apart from Żubrówka, and my CAT tool).

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-04-17 11:37 GMT]

Neptunia
Neptunia
Local time: 12:59
Italian to English
They are in there somewhere Apr 17, 2015

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro! I think the problem may be that there are two options for Polish keyboards setups. One is called Polish and the other Polish Pro (short for Programmer apparently). You will have to figure out which one is better for your purposes. The Polish Pro version for example uses:
option-x = ź
option-z = ż
option-s = ś

If you are in Word and the option-letter combinations aren't working it may have reverted automatically to US Eng
... See more
Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro! I think the problem may be that there are two options for Polish keyboards setups. One is called Polish and the other Polish Pro (short for Programmer apparently). You will have to figure out which one is better for your purposes. The Polish Pro version for example uses:
option-x = ź
option-z = ż
option-s = ś

If you are in Word and the option-letter combinations aren't working it may have reverted automatically to US English in which case check the flag. I can't think of anything else except maybe you are using a really obscure font that doesn't support those characters, but that seems unlikely.

Here is a blog page that might help:
http://genvoyage.com/2012/11/11/setting-up-the-polish-keyboard-on-a-mac/
Collapse

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 18, 2015

Thank you guys! In fact it is Polish Pro, and "option + letter" gives me the diacritic I need.

And Meta - got your email. Thank you very much for all your input! And next time, try that Żubrówka with apple juice. We call it apple pie

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Cheat Apr 18, 2015

Talking about keyboard shortcuts, you'll have to learn lots of them. Download and install CheatSheet (free). Press and hold the Command key, and all or most shortcuts for the active application will pop-up. Doesn't work for diacritics, of course.

Cheers,

Hans

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't use Polish fonts on the Windows side of Mac (Parallels) May 21, 2015

PolishPro works fine with all applications/documents on the Mac side, but I can't seem to add Polish to use on the Windows side (in Parallels) - anybody can help me?

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:59
You have to repeat that for Windows May 21, 2015

For the Windows side of your configuration you will have to install the Polish keyboard too:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/change-keyboard-layout

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are Polish fonts on MacBook Pro?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »