Mohammed Al-Sokkary
Mohammed Al-Sokkary
Egypt
Local time: 21:22
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2015

Hi all,

How long does it takes to subtitle 55 episodes, i have the scripts but not time coded, so all i have to do is to fill in place and adjust the time and then embed it into the video and upload it, how long does it take a professional to finish all the episodes / one episode, and how much does it normally cost for one hour subtitling, also i use AEGISUB, so i'd like to hear any ideas to progress faster.
PS: videos are on YouTube, i download the original non-subtitled vi
... See more
Hi all,

How long does it takes to subtitle 55 episodes, i have the scripts but not time coded, so all i have to do is to fill in place and adjust the time and then embed it into the video and upload it, how long does it take a professional to finish all the episodes / one episode, and how much does it normally cost for one hour subtitling, also i use AEGISUB, so i'd like to hear any ideas to progress faster.
PS: videos are on YouTube, i download the original non-subtitled video, finish the subtitle and embed it, then i upload it to the client.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 19:32 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Taking a shot... Mar 29, 2015

I'll assume each episode lasts the "standard" 42 minutes' playing time.

Therefore you have 55 x 42 = 2,310 minutes.

It is widely accepted that the professional average ratio is around 6:1, i.e. we take 6 minutes to translate one, or we can translate 10 minutes of playing time per hour.

Therefore a pro would need 2,310 * 6 = 13,860 minutes / 60 = 231 hours to translate from scratch. Round it up to 240 hours.

Can you translate more than one hour
... See more
I'll assume each episode lasts the "standard" 42 minutes' playing time.

Therefore you have 55 x 42 = 2,310 minutes.

It is widely accepted that the professional average ratio is around 6:1, i.e. we take 6 minutes to translate one, or we can translate 10 minutes of playing time per hour.

Therefore a pro would need 2,310 * 6 = 13,860 minutes / 60 = 231 hours to translate from scratch. Round it up to 240 hours.

Can you translate more than one hour of video per day, unless it's a rush order?
I can't; my brain needs some oxygen, and video translation tends to deplete it there.

So, if you can work on it 6 hours per day, at best you'll need roughly two months to translate, working Mon-Fri.

Some professional colleagues have stated - and I fully agree - that it is better to translate from the video, and use the provided script only for reference (e.g. on the spelling of proper names, and when SFX/music/noise smother the dialog).

Check what would or should be your monthly income, multiply it by two, and you'll have the translation cost.

It is widely agreed that time-spotting pre-translated and properly broken subtitles should take (in terms of time and effort) and cost one-third of the translation cost, if both are done by the same individual.

So you've got your figure for translation and time-spotting.

Burning? That will depend on too many variables, such as:
- Video size, e.g. DVD (720x480), HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080)
- The codec you'll be using
- The in & out video file types
- The software you'll use to burn
- Your hardware, especially processor speed, computer RAM, and video board RAM

So here your mileage may vary a lot.

My 2¢.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:22
Member (2013)
English to Russian
What Jose said Mar 30, 2015

Plus, if you don't have a powerful workstation, embedding (which is called "burning-in" or simply "burning" in professional circles) takes quite some time.

Mohammed Al-Sokkary
Mohammed Al-Sokkary
Egypt
Local time: 21:22
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You All Mar 30, 2015

Thank you Mr. Jose, Thank you Mr. Max, that was so informative and helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling 55 episodes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »