Thread poster: marco_natale (X)
marco_natale (X)
marco_natale (X)
Ireland
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2014

Hi all!

I am thinking about getting a specialization in the sector subtitling for audiovisual, by doing an online course or going to classes, don’t know yet.
Before I embark in such a project, I just wanted to do a bit of research about the subtitling industry, and in particular what are the employment opportunities once I completed the course.
Can anybody direct me to any relevant website or material so that I get a grasp on what this sector looks like today?
... See more
Hi all!

I am thinking about getting a specialization in the sector subtitling for audiovisual, by doing an online course or going to classes, don’t know yet.
Before I embark in such a project, I just wanted to do a bit of research about the subtitling industry, and in particular what are the employment opportunities once I completed the course.
Can anybody direct me to any relevant website or material so that I get a grasp on what this sector looks like today?

Regards

Marco
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 15:29
English to Italian
+ ...
No such thing as employment Nov 24, 2014

Hi Marco,

I can't refer you to any reliable material that may shed some light on opportunities for subtitlers, but I'm pretty confident there's no such thing as employment in this industry, especially if you're based in Italy. You would have to market your services as a freelancer or establish your own company. My two cents.

Monica
IT Pros snc
Subtitling Team
... See more
Hi Marco,

I can't refer you to any reliable material that may shed some light on opportunities for subtitlers, but I'm pretty confident there's no such thing as employment in this industry, especially if you're based in Italy. You would have to market your services as a freelancer or establish your own company. My two cents.

Monica
IT Pros snc
Subtitling Team Leader
www.itpros.it
Collapse

marco_natale (X)
marco_natale (X)
Ireland
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling industry Nov 26, 2014

Hi Monica

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the chances of employment are really small. I now live in Ireland and translating English-Italian and vice-versa.

I will keep on looking around and see what are the chances to work as freelance.

Do freelance get a decent amount of jobs instead?

Thanks
Marco

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 15:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Jobs Nov 26, 2014

Freelancers obviously don't "get a decent amount of jobs" out of the blue. It all basically depends on their marketing skills and their level of service just like any other enterprise on the market. If they're offering quality and they know how to sell it, that will pay off in the long term. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling industry

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »