Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can anybody recommend voice recognition software?
Thread poster: Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
German to English
Aug 1, 2014

I've been thinking about investing in a new, faster computer recently and while I'm at it I was thinking of buying either SDL Multiterm or voice recognition software to speed things up a bit more. Multiterm just seems so expensive for what it is, so I'm more inclined towards voice recognition. Can anybody recommend either of the two? I use Trados 2014, in case some voice recognition software is more compatible with that than others.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon NS Aug 1, 2014

I find Dragon very helpful, but I don't know how compatible it will be with Trados, which I don't use. It works fine with Wordfast Classic.

http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

[Edited at 2014-08-01 10:12 GMT]

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to French
not much choice: dragon Aug 1, 2014

At least in the win-doze world. Talk about monopoly...

On the good side, Trados uses a "compatible" type of text field, which allows you to leverage the spell checker and correct spelling mistakes with voice commands. (Unlike in Wordfast).

Despite the shortcoming you should experience a stunning gain in translation speed and fluency.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Dragon is excellent Aug 1, 2014

Although I should qualify this to say I don't use it with any translation s/w as I don't have any, I have found it to be very good indeed. Nuance have just released Dragon 13 which they claim does not even need to be trained. Well worth looking into.

Claire Titchmarsh
Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
+ ...
Another vote in favour Aug 1, 2014

Dragon is really excellent, although not so time-saving for very creative texts with no repetition. It works fine with SDL Studio. Just be sure to proofread!!

Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input! Aug 1, 2014

Dragon it is then - many thanks!

Monika Soeren (X)
Monika Soeren (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
Needs to learn Aug 1, 2014

Dragon is good, but you will need to invest a bit of time (in my case pretty much time) to teach it. I translate sometimes very advanced medical or technical texts and it did not understand what I said.
I wouldn't, however, now want to work without it anymore.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Russian to English
+ ...
DNS 13 Aug 2, 2014

I've been using DNS 13 for several days now and find it is noticeably more accurate than previous versions. However, i did have a compatibility problem with some Word files from one customer. I kept getting error messages when I attempted to open the files, until I had a brainstorm and tried opening them before starting Dragon.

Other than that -- all good.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Dragon for Swedish?? Aug 2, 2014

Hi all,

Might anyone of you have an idea how one could get DNS to work in Swedish.
Nuance evidently is not interested (a Swedish version would not pay) so these
questions pose themselves:

Would you know of how one could adapt DNS to handle Swedish?
What needs to be done?
Where could one get a Swedish term list with which one couild make a translation list?

Grateful for any ideas or hints.

Mats Wiman
"The Swede"

Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Dragon Aug 2, 2014

I find that Dragon works extremely well in MemoQ, but with Trados (I use 2011) it opens DragonPad in a new window which can be quite frustrating - I find it also slows me down somewhat.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:30
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Aug 2, 2014

Hannah Keet wrote:

I find that Dragon works extremely well in MemoQ, but with Trados (I use 2011) it opens DragonPad in a new window which can be quite frustrating - I find it also slows me down somewhat.

You can turn this feature off in the DNS options, but the problem I have with doing so (also in Studio 2011) is that the spacing gets all screwed up. If I start talking in an empty segment and dictate the sentence all the way through, it's fine, but if I stop and start again somewhere in the middle of the sentence, DNS does not put a space between the two halves, so I have to manually add it. That gets fairly annoying.

But you might want to try turning the dictation box off for DNS and see how it works for you in Trados.

Joannie Savard
Joannie Savard  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
French to English
+ ...
Dragon compatibility Sep 25, 2014

Has anyone tried Dragon with Across and Wordfast? Seems it works well with Studio, but what about these? I am having troubles with my right arm, so I am looking for an alternative to give it a slack....

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Multiterm vs Dragon? Sep 25, 2014

Another vote for DNS, although I'm confused why you're comparing it to Multiterm. Plus, I would have thought you would have received Multiterm automatically when you bought Studio 2014 - didn't you?

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to French
***SPEECH*** recognition Sep 25, 2014

I do the error myself all the time, but VOICE recognition is a safety software, identifies the speaker. SPEECH recognition identifies the content spoken. Let's be linguists here!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Double post, please delete Sep 25, 2014

[Bearbeitet am 2014-09-25 16:23 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anybody recommend voice recognition software?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »