Johanna von der Vring  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:57
Member (2006)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 22, 2015

Hi,

a new client wants to meet me with Teamviewer. I'm interested in the Job, but I never used
Teamviewer. Is ist safe to work with?

Johanna von der Vring

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spyware May 22, 2015

Johanna von der Vring wrote:

Hi,

a new client wants to meet me with Teamviewer. I'm interested in the Job, but I never used
Teamviewer. Is ist safe to work with?

Johanna von der Vring

If you like someone breathing down your neck all the time, watching what you're doing and how quickly you're working, and making sure you're working on their project and not something else - then yes, I imagine it's fine. Embrace it. Technology is the future.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

[Edited at 2015-05-22 10:24 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very safe May 22, 2015

I have used Teamviewer many times in the past, and in fact use it daily to connect to my main computer remotely. I feel it is not only very fast and practical, but also safe.

I do not think the customer will want to connect to your computer, but perhaps more the opposite: they might want to show you something running on one of their machines. It is best to ask them about their intention. They will surely understand your concerns and your need for privacy.

In case of dou
... See more
I have used Teamviewer many times in the past, and in fact use it daily to connect to my main computer remotely. I feel it is not only very fast and practical, but also safe.

I do not think the customer will want to connect to your computer, but perhaps more the opposite: they might want to show you something running on one of their machines. It is best to ask them about their intention. They will surely understand your concerns and your need for privacy.

In case of doubt, you could also ask the Teamviewer people in your country.
Collapse

Alina Temirova
Alina Temirova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Safe May 22, 2015

I agree with the previous speaker.

Even if the client want's to do something on your computer you can see what he does and can prevent it just closing the software.

But most probably the client wants to share his/her desktop with you.

As far as I remember Teamviewer doesn't even require installation.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Facts are facts May 22, 2015

[quote]Johanna von der Vring wrote:

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeamViewer#Security

What if you are part of the 30%?

If your PC is safely configured, this means that TW's tricks fail and TW has to route the connection via TW's servers, i. e. you are part of the 30 %, then.

BTW, I don't understand the use case. Translating or discussing via TW? TW is a software for remote control ...

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Let the fox guard the henhouse May 22, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

In case of doubt, you could also ask the Teamviewer people in your country.

Did you ever eat chicken meat, Mr Fox? – Of course not, I'm a vegetarian.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes May 22, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I do not think the customer will want to connect to your computer, but perhaps more the opposite: they might want to show you something running on one of their machines.

That's what clients have used TeamViewer with me in the past for as well, i.e. I connect to their computer, not them to my computer.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
No one accesses my computer May 22, 2015

My work computer is also my private computer and there are dirty things on there.

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
What do you know about your new client? May 22, 2015

I would only use Teamviewer and give someone remote access to my computer if I already know and trust them.

The only time I used Teamviewer was when someone known to me showed me how to create a newsletter for my running club. The guy was talking to me over the phone to explain what he was doing, and at the same he was remotely operating the program on my computer, so I could watch him/the program performing the steps he was describing.

I can't see how you can use Tea
... See more
I would only use Teamviewer and give someone remote access to my computer if I already know and trust them.

The only time I used Teamviewer was when someone known to me showed me how to create a newsletter for my running club. The guy was talking to me over the phone to explain what he was doing, and at the same he was remotely operating the program on my computer, so I could watch him/the program performing the steps he was describing.

I can't see how you can use Teamviewer to meet someone and I would have thought Skype was better suited for that. As already suggested by others, you would need to get ask the prospective client why you would need remote access to each other's computers.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hidden actions are invisible, even on the desktop ... May 22, 2015

Andrea Muller wrote:

The guy was talking to me over the phone to explain what he was doing, and at the same he was remotely operating the program on my computer, so I could watch him/the program performing the steps he was describing.

Do you really believe, that you can see what I do on your PC if I want to hide that? [/quote]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too much information:) May 22, 2015

Lincoln Hui wrote:

My work computer is also my private computer and there are dirty things on there.

Thank you for that, Lincoln.

My work computer is also my private computer, and nobody gets to see what's on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Teamviewer a safe Software?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »