Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
Member (2008)
Italian to English
They know where you are Jul 27, 2015

Met police using surveillance system to monitor mobile phones

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/oct/30/metropolitan-police-mobile-phone-surveillance

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We're all tracked anyway Jul 27, 2015

I too was worried about being tracked. Made a number or efforts to “get more private”. Then, one day, I just got tiered. Do they want to know what I am talking about on the phone with my wife, friends, outsourcers? Let them have it. Are they interested what I am looking up on web browsers? No problem. Do they want to film me while I am crossing a street? Go ahead.

You good people claim you do not use mobile phones. I actually get calls from outsourcers who check my availability
... See more
I too was worried about being tracked. Made a number or efforts to “get more private”. Then, one day, I just got tiered. Do they want to know what I am talking about on the phone with my wife, friends, outsourcers? Let them have it. Are they interested what I am looking up on web browsers? No problem. Do they want to film me while I am crossing a street? Go ahead.

You good people claim you do not use mobile phones. I actually get calls from outsourcers who check my availability time to time. That does not mean I have to pick up my phone if I am not available (you can turn it off, you can deactivate the sound, etc.). They could do it by email. Most of them do. Some don’t. So I carry the thing around when I’m out (and available to speak) or just put it next to my desk when I’m in. It has never bothered me. It has never gotten sick or asked for food, water or anything. In fact, it’s broken all over the places, but it's still functioning and I’m not changing it.

It might sound stupid, but picture you’re driving and had an accident. Nobody saw you. You cannot move. Mobile phone could save your life in this situation.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, and I think it's a good thing too. Jul 28, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Met police using surveillance system to monitor mobile phones

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/oct/30/metropolitan-police-mobile-phone-surveillance

The police here in East Sussex use the info they gather to catch criminals. I wish them only the best of luck!

I have no pretensions regarding my importance. They can have all my data. Every last silly Facebook photo and text message to my wife about what our dog did today.

The Melv

[Edited at 2015-07-28 01:30 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Chap Jul 28, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

They can have all my data.

Really? Bank details, everything? And all the data of everyone with whom you communicate? You're clearly a very law-abiding chap.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 07:13 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
My question Jul 28, 2015

Say, I don't have what to hide. Even so, my private life is my private life.
Yet my question here is - are those with the access to our sensitive information, codes, bank accounts etc., are they very law-abiding chaps? Always, now and afterwards?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's a trade-off Jul 28, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

They can have all my data.

Really? Bank details, everything? And all the data of everyone with whom you communicate? You're clearly a very law-abiding chap.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 07:13 GMT]

The local police here in Hastings can definitely have my text messages and tap my calls. I have nothing to hide, and if it helps keep my neighbourhood safe for me and my family, I have no problem with it. It's a trade-off of course, but one that I'm willing to make. Of course, such things should be properly regulated by the government, police, etc. – but that’s another story altogether.

My bank details? Sure, why not. They're not exactly interesting reading and of no use to anyone. However, if it helps the police spot money laundering, tax evasion, drug money, and other illegal activity, again, why the heck not?

Emails? Sure, why not? How interesting are my emails? Not very.

~

We need to make a distinction here between (1) someone accessing my personal information and using it for things that would harm me (or my clients), and (2) using it for things that might improve my environment, and have no effect whatsoever on me (tap my phone so they can catch a local drug dealer, e.g.).

It is very easy to get all ideological about this, but I prefer to remain pragmatic. I'm no longer in university, reading Marx. I am nearly 40 and have a 3-month-old baby girl.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 12:41 GMT]

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 18:43
Swedish to English
No Jul 29, 2015

I found them mainly a waste of time.

If people are interested they do answer emails.

Roland CLEMENCEAU
Roland CLEMENCEAU
France
Local time: 18:43
English to French
Facebook 0% - Twitter 100% Jul 30, 2015

I am going to risk sounding unprofessional here maybe but the truth is I have made the deliberate choice not to use Facebook professionally, because I simply hate the platform.

Besides, I do not think Facebook is that suitable for promoting freelance translation services. Not as much as LinkedIn is at least. So the quick answer here by all means is Twitter, a 100%.

KyaraD
KyaraD
Belgium
Facebook Oct 4, 2015

I prefer to use Facebook. I don't use it all the time because I found that sometimes it is a waste of time.
But it can also be interesting. You can have contact with people that you don't see a lot but my opinion is: it is better to see the people face on face than talk to them on social media.

kamienZen
kamienZen
Poland
groups Nov 27, 2015

I found, just join specific group on Facebook.I found few offers there

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Do you use facebook or twitter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »