Considering CATS, SDL, Wordfast, Fluency - Mac with Parralles
Thread poster: Jason Holt (X)
Jason Holt (X)
Jason Holt (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
French to English
May 15, 2012

So I am trying to break into the translation freelance industry. I have one contract for a local company and have been bidding on a few contracts here. I have a MacBook Air as my primary machine and have been looking into purchasing a CAT for this contract and other others. I have primarily been using XTM Cloud because the university program I was in got that tool on the LSP level for free. However, that ends in a couple of weeks. I have played with Wordfast and like the fact it has a nativ... See more
So I am trying to break into the translation freelance industry. I have one contract for a local company and have been bidding on a few contracts here. I have a MacBook Air as my primary machine and have been looking into purchasing a CAT for this contract and other others. I have primarily been using XTM Cloud because the university program I was in got that tool on the LSP level for free. However, that ends in a couple of weeks. I have played with Wordfast and like the fact it has a native Mac client. However, I am not convinced it is the best or fastest workflow. I have looked at fluency, watched a video, and played with it briefly and I really like it. But as has been posted elsewhere, certain outsources require Trados. So I was thinking of getting into a group buy for that. What do you guys recommend for someone entering the field and starting out in translation? Trades is also confusing with all of its extra packages that cost 300 dollars each, like Multiterm. Would I need those kinds of extras in order to do my job effiecenty?Collapse

Wulf-Dieter Krüger
Wulf-Dieter Krüger  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
English to German
+ ...
Beware of Trados Jun 10, 2012

It is overpriced looking at its performance.

It never works properly and very often does what it wants giving a hoot on what you want.

I have been using that software since version 2006, via 2007 to Studio 2009 (test version only) and now Studio 2011.

Spell checker - same junk as since Ver. 2006

Snobby service attitude by a market leader.

Good and more reasonable alternatives are from my point of view:

MemoQ - runs pro
... See more
It is overpriced looking at its performance.

It never works properly and very often does what it wants giving a hoot on what you want.

I have been using that software since version 2006, via 2007 to Studio 2009 (test version only) and now Studio 2011.

Spell checker - same junk as since Ver. 2006

Snobby service attitude by a market leader.

Good and more reasonable alternatives are from my point of view:

MemoQ - runs problem free, is faster than Trados, spell checker works properly and exports to Trados, if required. Service is swift and friendly, maintenance agreement is reasonable. I have been using it since Ver. 4.2 via 4.5, now 5.0 and I am looking vorward to their Ver. 6.
Whether they have a Mac Version, I do not know.

MetaTexis Ver. 3 - runs as a Macro under Microsoft Office Word, is very reasonable, service is swift and friendly. Very good for texts with few images, PowerPoint and Exel and other formats like Indesign (portable format) may be processed as well. Whether they have a Mac version I do not know - just ask them and you will get answer quicker than you might imagine.

Fluency seems to be a better alternative to Trados and if it exports to Trados format it might be the better choice (I am testing it at the moment)

Regards

Wulf-Dieter Krüger
Collapse

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
Local time: 09:14
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Fluency Dec 19, 2014

Wulf-Dieter, what is your experience with Fluency now after some time has passed?
Is it a CAT tool that you would recommend?

I have a Mac and I have not found information that Fluency is mac-compatible, but I have Windows parallels in case it is not.

Jason, what did you decide to buy and why?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Norskpro: Dec 19, 2014

Fluency just released a beta that runs on Linux and one for Macs.

However, I'd recommend CafeTran over Fluency any day. But that's just me.

Michael

https://www.westernstandard.com/Fluency/Fluency_Beta.aspx (better marketing)
http://www.cafetran.com/ (b
... See more
Fluency just released a beta that runs on Linux and one for Macs.

Michael

https://www.westernstandard.com/Fluency/Fluency_Beta.aspx (better marketing)
http://www.cafetran.com/ (better program)
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Size matters Dec 21, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Me too. And I work with CafeTran for Mac every working day.

The MBA comes with very limited disk space, so the size of the CAT tool matters:

http://www.westernstandard.com/fluencyinstalls/Fluency-Now-macosx.tgz (174 MB)
http://www.cafetran.republika.pl/CafeTran.app.zip (5.9 MB)

Note that the size of CafeTran doesn't include the spell checker, which has to be downloaded separately. Some examples:

de_DE.dic (German): 9.7 MB
fr_FR.dic (French): 1.07 MB

More important: CafeTran is not beta ware but has been developed and improved since 2005. The compatibility with SDL Studio and memoQ is splendid. As with some other CAT tools, a second license (e.g. for another computer or even OS) is included. Also included: one year of user friendly support.

Important: If you want to try CafeTran, you are advised to evaluate this software first. Fluency requires Java 8 and CafeTran currently runs with Java 6 only. It's quite difficult to remove Java 8 and install Java 6.

(Support for Java 8 is expected for 2015.)

[Edited at 2014-12-21 08:13 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
Finnish to French
Size is hardly relevant Dec 21, 2014

2nl wrote:
The MBA comes with very limited disk space, so the size of the CAT tool matters:

http://www.westernstandard.com/fluencyinstalls/Fluency-Now-macosx.tgz (174 MB)
http://www.cafetran.republika.pl/CafeTran.app.zip (5.9 MB)

The smallest size of a hard drive on the MBA is 128 GB. Whether your CAT tool consumes 50 MB or 400 MB of disk space (once installed) hardly matters at all.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Screen and disk size do matter Dec 21, 2014

I don't know which MBA version the OP owns. The first generation came with 80 GB HDD or 64 GB SSD. So, I would say: every byte of disk size counts here.

The MBA came with 2 GB of RAM. Since there is a relation between a program's footprint on disk and the amount of memory needed (the relation is not linear), the size of a CAT tool can be relevant here too.

Most important, however, will be the question: how well can the CAT tool be used on a tiny 11" or 13" screen? A WYS
... See more
I don't know which MBA version the OP owns. The first generation came with 80 GB HDD or 64 GB SSD. So, I would say: every byte of disk size counts here.

The MBA came with 2 GB of RAM. Since there is a relation between a program's footprint on disk and the amount of memory needed (the relation is not linear), the size of a CAT tool can be relevant here too.

Most important, however, will be the question: how well can the CAT tool be used on a tiny 11" or 13" screen? A WYSIWYG view of the source, a WYSIWYG view of the target and still enough space for TM, glossary, web resources, TL editor etc.? I think that this will be problematic.

[Edited at 2014-12-21 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
Finnish to French
Which Mac? Dec 21, 2014

2nl wrote:
I don't know which MBA version the OP owns.

The OP (Jason) asked his question 2.5 years ago: chances are he has settled for some tool by now. The poster who asked for experience with Fluency (Norskpro) didn't say anything about his Mac: it could be a 11" MBA just like it could be an iMac with a giant display.

My own MBA (late 2010 model) has 4 GB of RAM and a 1440x900 display.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Dec 21, 2014

I'd say that size might matter, in that it could be an indication of either:

(1) the amount of extra garbage a program contains, or
(2) bad coding.

That's just uneducated speculation though, as I can just about manage AutoHotkey (won't be coding anything in Java or C++ any time soon)

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering CATS, SDL, Wordfast, Fluency - Mac with Parralles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »