atlomni
atlomni
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2002)
English to Korean
+ ...
Mar 25, 2017

Text hidden in Word document is processed as text value tag in SDL Trados 2017.

This issue is seriously damaging the analysis from our TM, results and all related consequences.

Please let me know how I can get rid of hidden text processed as text value tags. This is compromising the CM or 100% match results from previous translation completed in a different format. We basically need the hidden text to be processed as before in Trados: not showing.

The sourc
... See more
Text hidden in Word document is processed as text value tag in SDL Trados 2017.

This issue is seriously damaging the analysis from our TM, results and all related consequences.

Please let me know how I can get rid of hidden text processed as text value tags. This is compromising the CM or 100% match results from previous translation completed in a different format. We basically need the hidden text to be processed as before in Trados: not showing.

The source file is Word (2016) but it is a content copied from a .properties file.

See example in the image below - it is processed this way for all 900 segments:

SDL tag issue

Please let me know what could be the solution. That would be of great help as I am starting to modify things in File Types which might create other surprises down the road.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2017-03-25 07:02 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:08
English to Russian
Paragraph Mar 25, 2017

Most probably there are spaces (or no spaces at all) between your hidden and visible parts?
Maybe you need some segmentation sign (paragraph) after the hidden portion to make it real hidden in Trados.

UPD:
If you hide a sentence not including its end punctuation mark, Trados processes it as _[tag][tag]._ Next sentence follows as another segment.
If you hide a sentence including its end punctuation mark, Trados processes it as _[tag][tag]. Next sentence._

[Ed
... See more
Most probably there are spaces (or no spaces at all) between your hidden and visible parts?
Maybe you need some segmentation sign (paragraph) after the hidden portion to make it real hidden in Trados.

UPD:
If you hide a sentence not including its end punctuation mark, Trados processes it as _[tag][tag]._ Next sentence follows as another segment.
If you hide a sentence including its end punctuation mark, Trados processes it as _[tag][tag]. Next sentence._

[Edited at 2017-03-25 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

atlomni
atlomni
United States
Member (2002)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Added periods but unsuccessful Mar 25, 2017

Thank you for your help, Stepan. Unfortunately, adding punctuation at the leading and trailing ID# - that we need totally hidden - has not been successful. See image below.

SDL tag issue-2

I still have these tags processed and showing - which is not matching the TM.

I really hope you or another member can help and find the solution to this issue.

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2017-03-25 16:09 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:08
English to Russian
Maybe this helps... Mar 26, 2017

When you hide the text, _do not_ hide dot and space after the "=" sign:

00020=. There are no active loans that match the search criteria.

This will split each your lin
... See more
When you hide the text, _do not_ hide dot and space after the "=" sign:

00020=. There are no active loans that match the search criteria.

This will split each your line in two segments:

Once translated, unhide and replace all "=. " back to "="

UPDATE: After the "." sign you may also add 2 or 3 asterisks. This allows you to easily filter all untranslatable segments and lock them.

At the end, you'll need to replace "=.*** " with "="

[Edited at 2017-03-26 10:28 GMT]
Collapse

_stephan
_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:08
English to German
insert paragraph marks Mar 27, 2017

Hi,

As an alternative to what Stephan suggested, I guess you could also insert paragraph marks in Word (replace '=' with '=^p') and simply hide all paragraphs that end wih an equal sign ('*=').

atlomni wrote:

The source file is Word (2016) but it is a content copied from a .properties file.

Just curious, though, but is there a particular reason why you're not processing this as a .properties file?

Stephan

[Edited at 2017-03-27 10:15 GMT]

atlomni
atlomni
United States
Member (2002)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works! Mar 28, 2017

Thank you Stepan and Stephan! I used a work around with your tips and it finally worked fine. Thanks again for the great help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text hidden in Word document is processed as text value tag

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »