"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" - SDL Studio 2011
Thread poster: Sylvie Barnet
Sylvie Barnet
Sylvie Barnet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
Mar 23, 2017

I know this question has come up before but none of the solutions offered seems to work. I have tried the fixes offered here
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4984
but it does not work.
I am trying to open a large ppt presentation and cannot open it. I know the problem is with the file as I have tried to open other ppt files and it works normally.
Any suggesti
... See more
I know this question has come up before but none of the solutions offered seems to work. I have tried the fixes offered here
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4984
but it does not work.
I am trying to open a large ppt presentation and cannot open it. I know the problem is with the file as I have tried to open other ppt files and it works normally.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Couple of questions Mar 23, 2017

Have you tried recreating the sdlxliff by any chance? Could it be that the the sdlxliff file is corrupted?
Did you create it yourself? Were you ever able to open it at all or not?

Upon closer reading: are you saying you are not able to create an sdlxliff when you are trying to add the ppt as a source file?
In that case I think file definitions in Studio need to be checked for being able to read ppt versions. I am not sure how to do that, though.

Read this an
... See more
Have you tried recreating the sdlxliff by any chance? Could it be that the the sdlxliff file is corrupted?
Did you create it yourself? Were you ever able to open it at all or not?

Upon closer reading: are you saying you are not able to create an sdlxliff when you are trying to add the ppt as a source file?
In that case I think file definitions in Studio need to be checked for being able to read ppt versions. I am not sure how to do that, though.

Read this and see if it helps you in the right direction:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/5753

Or this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/267034-trados_studio_2014_error_object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.html

[Edited at 2017-03-23 21:03 GMT]
Collapse

Sylvie Barnet
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing seems to work Mar 23, 2017

Thank you Lianne for answering. My problem is with opening the ppt file, Studio does not let me open this specific file. I have tried all the fixes offered so far but nothing works. I have no problem opening other ppt files, so the problem must come from this specific file but I can't figure what. I have tried renaming it as suggested but it does not work either.

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have someone else try to create a sdlxliff Mar 23, 2017

You are welcome to send me the file and I can see if I have the same problem or I will create the sdlxliff for you.

Sylvie Barnet
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Found!! Mar 23, 2017

I used one of the ppt files I was able to open in Studio as template, and copied and pasted the slides from the presentation I could not open. And it worked! Sometimes just trying to explain the problem also helps solving it.

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great! Mar 23, 2017

I often find my own solutions. But that is how it works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" - SDL Studio 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »