Why nobody talks about Multiterm Widget?
Thread poster: Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:26
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2017

I got Multiterm Widget together with Trados 2011.

It surprised me that I couldn't find any references about Multiterm Widget in the Proz's site! The information is very limited. Also, most videos on youtube are in German, Russian and other unintelligible language to me.

It looks very limited in the practical use as well. It configured itself and I can use ONLY ONE pair of languages.

The SDL has some informa
... See more

It surprised me that I couldn't find any references about Multiterm Widget in the Proz's site! The information is very limited. Also, most videos on youtube are in German, Russian and other unintelligible language to me.

It looks very limited in the practical use as well. It configured itself and I can use ONLY ONE pair of languages.

The SDL has some information:
http://www.sdl.com/solution/language/terminology-management/multiterm/widget.html
This page introduces and markets the product, but doesn't tell you anything about how to use it.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4832.html
This other page seems to cover all configurations, from very basic to "super-advanced", but since I couldn't find demonstrations of practical use anywhere, I feel really unmotivated to follow through the whole process.

So, does anyone have experience using Multiterm Widget?
Is it suitable for freelancers? Using more than one pair of languages?
Is it even worth researching about it or am I just wasting my time?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Feb 27, 2017

Marcel Gomez wrote:

The SDL has some information:
http://www.sdl.com/solution/language/terminology-management/multiterm/widget.html
This page introduces and markets the product, but doesn't tell you anything about how to use it.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4832.html
This other page seems to cover all configurations, from very basic to "super-advanced", but since I couldn't find demonstrations of practical use anywhere, I feel really unmotivated to follow through the whole process.

So, does anyone have experience using Multiterm Widget?
Is it suitable for freelancers? Using more than one pair of languages?
Is it even worth researching about it or am I just wasting my time?

I keep trying it over the years, but find it is still buggy and unreliable. I'd steer clear, if I were you. You might also want to ask your question over @ https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:26
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That widget again Feb 27, 2017

The widget interfered with my keyboard shortcuts or I had some other problem with it. I blocked it in startup because I would have problems and it turned out to be "that widget again" - a little window in the middle of my screen behind all other windows and I could not close it. I forgot what the exact problem was but I didn't see a need for it anyway. When I work on a project, I have studio and multiterm and other dictionaries open and that's all I need.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have never ever got it to work Feb 27, 2017

While I use Multiterm proper all the time together with Studio, I have never got the widget to work separately. Probably very few people actually use it.

Once or twice I have opened Multiterm and used it as an online dictionary when for some reason I cold not use Trados. (Typically when I have medical documents as non-editable, scanned PDFs and want to see the terminology from earlier work.) But I have never found out how to link up the widget.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use it a little Feb 27, 2017

I have to double-click the little green icon to open it but can only put in one term. If it doesn't come up with the term I'm looking for, I can look at the list that shows up which has other terms in alphabetical order around it and click on the one I want. But I haven't figured out how to get it to look up another term, other than close it and then re-open it to type in another term. Also, it seems to only work in one direction, not reverse languages.

It seems that a long time
... See more
I have to double-click the little green icon to open it but can only put in one term. If it doesn't come up with the term I'm looking for, I can look at the list that shows up which has other terms in alphabetical order around it and click on the one I want. But I haven't figured out how to get it to look up another term, other than close it and then re-open it to type in another term. Also, it seems to only work in one direction, not reverse languages.

It seems that a long time ago, when I got my computer replaced because the previous one went ka-put, the widget caused problems when shutting down the computer. There was a solution, going into some user\local file folder (I don't remember the path) and deleting a certain file, and the computer automatically replaced it with a new, good file that didn't cause that problem any more. We were paying the yearly SDL maintenance fee so that's how I got an answer as to what to do. But maybe you can find the answer online.
Collapse

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will keep waiting Feb 28, 2017

I see...
The widget seems to be still in the early stages of development. I am not using it for now. Hope it fully develops in the few years to come.

Thank you for your feedback!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why nobody talks about Multiterm Widget?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »