Multiterm 2017 "Synchronize on Term" import option creates duplicate descriptive fields
Thread poster: Hayley Leva
Hayley Leva
Hayley Leva
France
Local time: 18:07
French to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2017

Hello,

I have an Excel glossary which contains a large number of acronyms and their meanings. The glossary also contains several descriptive fields for each term.
While translating, I want Term Recognition to propose both the full version, and the acronym. I.e. if the term 'bureau d'études' appears in the French source text, I want to be able to choose either 'Design Office', or 'DO'.

I have therefore done the following:

(1) Created duplicate lines
... See more
Hello,

I have an Excel glossary which contains a large number of acronyms and their meanings. The glossary also contains several descriptive fields for each term.
While translating, I want Term Recognition to propose both the full version, and the acronym. I.e. if the term 'bureau d'études' appears in the French source text, I want to be able to choose either 'Design Office', or 'DO'.

I have therefore done the following:

(1) Created duplicate lines in my Excel glossary to deal with these acronyms, as follows:

French column: / English column:
bureau d'études / Design Office
bureau d'études / DO
BE / Design Office
BE / DO

(2) Converted this Excel file using MultiTerm Convert.
(3) Imported this Excel file into my termbase using the "Synchronize on Term" option.

This successfully creates single entries with two alternative translations, i.e. for the French term 'bureau d'études', both 'DO' and 'Design Office' are listed as English terms (within one entry). So far so good. However - here's the problem - for such an entry, each of the descriptive fields from my Excel glossary appears twice in MultiTerm, e.g.:

Entry ID: 1
Customer: XXX
Agency: YYY
Customer: XXX
Agency: YYY
French: bureau d'études
English: -Design Office
-DO

Does anyone know what I need to do to avoid this duplication of the descriptive fields from my Excel glossary?

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2017 "Synchronize on Term" import option creates duplicate descriptive fields

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »