Yuki Okada
Yuki Okada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:56
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 18, 2017

I have a rather large project to translate an English website into Japanese. My translation agency gave me sdlxliff files. As I translate them, I felt that the word count is much larger than what the Trados analysis says, so I counted the same set of files using an on-line tool: https://wordy.com/word-count-tool/
Here are the results for six files in total:
Trados 2015: 38235
Wordy: 7
... See more
I have a rather large project to translate an English website into Japanese. My translation agency gave me sdlxliff files. As I translate them, I felt that the word count is much larger than what the Trados analysis says, so I counted the same set of files using an on-line tool: https://wordy.com/word-count-tool/
Here are the results for six files in total:
Trados 2015: 38235
Wordy: 76747
I realize there could be a small difference between different applications, but it should not be twice as many.
My files came in html.ttx.sdlxliff extension.

How can this happen? Does anyone know a good word counting application? It would be great if it produces a breakdown according to match percentages like Trados, but a total word count alone will help.

Thank you for your help!

Yuki Okada
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
Word count too small Jan 19, 2017

You should contact the client immediately about this discrepancy. All too often the agency holds the cards when it comes to word-counting software. This applies particularly to agencies in Asia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados word count is too small

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »