Thread poster: Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
English to French
Jan 16, 2017

Hello,
I'm just starting a project and I have to use smart (curly) ’ quotes in Studio. In French, I can of course use Alt0146 but I noticed a function in Studio 2015.

Options > Editor > Auto-Correct. Uncheck the box Replace “Straight quotes” with smart quotes.

I check the box and oh bad surprise, Studio 2015 inserts reverse smart quotes ‘.

Does someone know who to fix this issue?

Many thanks!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:16
Italian to German
+ ...
Hi Nathalie, Jan 17, 2017

I think it's in the Auto-Correct options.

Mike

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mike Jan 17, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

I think it's in the Auto-Correct options.

Mike

Yes, I know but I get reverse curly apostrophes instead of curly apostrophes.
Thanks anyway. Good evening.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:16
Italian to German
+ ...
Sorry... Jan 17, 2017

Sorry Nathalie, I'm afraid I didn't carefully read your post. Because I'm using a swiss keyboard which is most convenient for my language pairs, I never run in these problems: it has all possible strokes at my disposal and I can switch to one of the languages in Windows. I guess you could do the same with *any* keyboard by loading the appropriate language options in Windows, but a solution for your question is still outstanding, I hope someone else will intervene.

Greetings,
M
... See more
Sorry Nathalie, I'm afraid I didn't carefully read your post. Because I'm using a swiss keyboard which is most convenient for my language pairs, I never run in these problems: it has all possible strokes at my disposal and I can switch to one of the languages in Windows. I guess you could do the same with *any* keyboard by loading the appropriate language options in Windows, but a solution for your question is still outstanding, I hope someone else will intervene.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-17 22:26 GMT]
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome Jan 17, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-17 22:26 GMT]

You're welcome. I use a French azerty keyboard.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not really a surprise Jan 18, 2017

The quotes are quotation marks - surrounding a quotation. The opening pair is automatically “upside down” and the second pair is regular - because this is how quotations should be. I assume that software is programmed accordingly.
Manually: Alt +0147 for upside down and Alt +0148 for regular, or you will have to program your keyboard.

[Edited at 2017-01-18 03:19 GMT]

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jan 18, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

The quotes are quotation marks - surrounding a quotation. The opening pair is automatically “upside down” and the second pair is regular - because this is how quotations should be. I assume that software is programmed accordingly.
Manually: Alt +0147 for upside down and Alt +0148 for regular, or you will have to program your keyboard.

[Edited at 2017-01-18 03:19 GMT]

I just made a test and you're correct. Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert smart (curly) quotes in Studio 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »