Can I use Studio 2014, 2015 and 2017 on the same computer after upgrade?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:27
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2016

Now I have both Studio 2014 and 2015 running on the same computer so I can choose to use either (for some reasons, I use also Studio 2014 if the customer doesn't require me to use Studio 2015), and I have just installed Studio 2017 on this same computer.

When I checked my account it says I have upgrades, and when I choose that upgrade it says that after I have upgraded from Studio 2015 to 2017 the licence for Studio 2015 will be removed. So I wonder what the procedure is for keepin
... See more
Now I have both Studio 2014 and 2015 running on the same computer so I can choose to use either (for some reasons, I use also Studio 2014 if the customer doesn't require me to use Studio 2015), and I have just installed Studio 2017 on this same computer.

When I checked my account it says I have upgrades, and when I choose that upgrade it says that after I have upgraded from Studio 2015 to 2017 the licence for Studio 2015 will be removed. So I wonder what the procedure is for keeping all three versions of Studio (2014, 2015 and 2017) on my computer? Just like when I upgraded from Studio 2014 to 2015 when I could keep version 2014 even when 2015 had been activated.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:27
French to German
+ ...
You should only use the latest version Dec 5, 2016

Hi Fredrik

As already explained on this forum a number of times, the license entitles you to use only the latest version in the case you bought an upgrade. Buying an upgrade replaces the previous version by the new one and revokes your right to still use the old version.

With the Freelance versions of SDL, the licensing system makes it possible to still use the installed previous version as long as you don't need to reinstall it. But it cannot be reactivated because the
... See more
Hi Fredrik

As already explained on this forum a number of times, the license entitles you to use only the latest version in the case you bought an upgrade. Buying an upgrade replaces the previous version by the new one and revokes your right to still use the old version.

With the Freelance versions of SDL, the licensing system makes it possible to still use the installed previous version as long as you don't need to reinstall it. But it cannot be reactivated because the license code has been revoked. This is good because it allows you to use both versions in parallel for a transitional period.

However, using three versions in parallel as you suggest is not legal and I also can't see any reason why one should do this. I can't see any reason why you should switch from one version to another for different jobs, this just does not make any sense because the compatibility between the versions is given.
If a client requires you to work with a given version, this is usually simply because he is not familiar with the compatibility issues and wants to be on the safe side.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use Studio 2014, 2015 and 2017 on the same computer after upgrade?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »