Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:47
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Doesn't work for me Oct 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Yes- really. The whole purpose of the Cloud is to force people to use it, and pay increasing amounts of money for it, forever (because if you stop subscribing at any point you will no longer be able to access your data).

I feel I don't need Cloud. I am using the free subscription, but I am not really certain that I am gaining anything from it compared to my other tools. Is it USD 35 per month? If so, it's way too expencive, so I feel only those who are foolish to rely on it are forced to use it. The rest of us would probably stay away from it as long as it's so expencive.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why? Oct 22, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

I work with several termbases (usually 2-4). My typical termbase set consists of a General, Culinary and Travel termbase. If I want to add a term to 2 of them, I first need to make each of them a default one, which takes time.
Why is it so difficult to do something like this? I click "Add a term" and then Trados asks me which termbases I want the term to add to? That's it.

This would really boost productivity.

Couldn't you make one termbase and create a definition that supported these different usecases? Then you won't have this problem and you could use input models to support how you wanted to use them for each project.

Paul

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 22, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

I work with several termbases (usually 2-4). My typical termbase set consists of a General, Culinary and Travel termbase. If I want to add a term to 2 of them, I first need to make each of them a default one, which takes time.
Why is it so difficult to do something like this? I click "Add a term" and then Trados asks me which termbases I want the term to add to? That's it.

This would really boost productivity.

Couldn't you make one termbase and create a definition that supported these different usecases? Then you won't have this problem and you could use input models to support how you wanted to use them for each project.

Paul

No offence, Paul, but what you wrote seems much more complicated than using several separate termbases.
I appreciate your help, but it seems like SDL are eager to find the most complex solutions to the world's simplest issues.

The same goes with TM maintenance. Why is it so difficult to create a TM editor where you can sort entries according to a date, length, and several other attributes? And most importantly, the one where you can scroll down the whole TM, not only 300 or 500 units at a time (don't remember exactly how many). This is where you could look for the REAL productivity boost. As of now, after finishing a monthly project (translation of a monthly magazine) I need to export my monthly TM to Heartsome TM Editor where I can find duplicates, repetitions and many more, before re-importing the TM back to the Studio and then exporting it to my "big mama" TM.

But returning to Language Cloud. After the reduction of the free monthly limit to 400,000 characters I seldom use it and honestly I can't see that much of a drop in my productivity. i may change my mind once the adaptiveMT supports Polish language.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I don't think it's complicated... Oct 22, 2016

No offence, Paul, but what you wrote seems much more complicated than using several separate termbases.
I appreciate your help, but it seems like SDL are eager to find the most complex solutions to the world's simplest issues.

... but I can see why you might think so if you're not familiar with MultiTerm. I guess the problem is that making it behave the way you'd like is not trivial from a development perspective. I have looked at creating an app to support this too but this is also not a simple thing to do. So given the usecase, and the fact it's really not that hard to work with one unless they are all completely different definitions (but that would beg the question why you even do this in the first place if they were different because of the massive duplication of effort), it's unlikely to get a priority with development any time soon. Perhaps it'll be something that'll change when we make a more fundamental change to the way we work with terminology anyway.

The same goes with TM maintenance. Why is it so difficult to create a TM editor where you can sort entries according to a date, length, and several other attributes? And most importantly, the one where you can scroll down the whole TM, not only 300 or 500 units at a time (don't remember exactly how many). This is where you could look for the REAL productivity boost. As of now, after finishing a monthly project (translation of a monthly magazine) I need to export my monthly TM to Heartsome TM Editor where I can find duplicates, repetitions and many more, before re-importing the TM back to the Studio and then exporting it to my "big mama" TM.

TM maintenance... the theory has always been that it makes more sense to use the filters to narrow down the data you wish to edit and then work with the batch editing tools. But I can see what you mean, and for things where I just want to browse through the file in the way you describe I always export to TMX and use Olifant, so probably use a similar workflow to you. I do think the editor could use an overhaul, and again this is not trivial work or we would have done it already, but it's also not as high a priority as some other things. I know in the Studio Beta Community Michael Beijer raised this as well (although it's not new as it comes up every now and again) and the Product Management Team are open to specifics so they know what they need to focus on rather than create a completely new tool that duplicates Olifant or Heartsome.

But returning to Language Cloud. After the reduction of the free monthly limit to 400,000 characters I seldom use it and honestly I can't see that much of a drop in my productivity. i may change my mind once the adaptiveMT supports Polish language.

Language Cloud. I think MT is horses for courses and very much dependent on your workflows, language pairs and source material. The example David gave earlier was quite good as a way to look at whether you get a return on investment or not. I wouldn't get hung up on the rates as this is not what he was trying to show... rather see whether it works for you and really makes sense to take a paid subscription or not. If it doesn't then don't take one... if you find you are not getting the productivity gains you think you should then don't use it. It's absolutely no skin off our nose if you don't take advantage of a free service! But if you do find it's useful and would like to use it more then the calculation is a good way to look at it and justify the costs for whatever plan you think you need.

Machine Translation has become a very common way to work today and I see translators regularly using it in all kinds of ways. I think the discussions we used to see here a year or more ago are pretty much a thing of the past and now it's all about how you can post edit better, how you can improve the quality of the MT, how you can use MT to enhance the quality of your fuzzy matches from the TM, how you can work interactively with the MT, how secure is the data you send for translation and which service is best for that etc. We don't earn on advertising, or take advantage of any of the material you send for translation, so providing this service does come at a cost. So the questions for you, and others if you do wish to use MT, are do you need a secure service, is a free service enough (quantity and quality), and if not which plan gives you best return on your investment.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

David Pooley
David Pooley
United Kingdom
English
Apologies for any misunderstanding Nov 2, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

David Pooley wrote:
Current words per hour: 250
Average price per word: $0.02
Revenue per hour: $5.00 (= 250 * $0.02)
Package cost: $10
Productivity increase: 20%
New words per hour: 300 (= 250 * 1.2)
New revenue per hour: $6.00 (= 300 * $0.02)
Hours taken to recover the cost of the package: 10 (=10$ / ($6.00 - $5.00))

I did find that example surprising and insulting!

Hi all,

I wasn't trying to be insulting! I was trying to show that even in a "worst case" scenario that you could get a return on your investment quite quickly. It's just my inner maths geek making its way to the surface. If you plug in your actual numbers in to this calculation then I would suggest that your time taken to recover the cost becomes less. E.g. 500 words per hour @ $0.10 with a productivity boost of 20% gives an ROI duration of 1 hour. Even a boost of only 5% with these numbers is returned in 4 hours. The simple calculation is:

{Package Cost} / ({Words Per Hour} * {Price Per Word} * {Productivity Gain})

Example: $10 / (500 * $0.10 * 5%) = $10 / $2.5 = 4 hours

I'll retire back to my maths cave now.

David

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree with your sentiments, quick question about pricing Apr 9, 2017

SDL Community wrote:

Language Cloud. I think MT is horses for courses and very much dependent on your workflows, language pairs and source material. The example David gave earlier was quite good as a way to look at whether you get a return on investment or not. I wouldn't get hung up on the rates as this is not what he was trying to show... rather see whether it works for you and really makes sense to take a paid subscription or not. If it doesn't then don't take one... if you find you are not getting the productivity gains you think you should then don't use it. It's absolutely no skin off our nose if you don't take advantage of a free service! But if you do find it's useful and would like to use it more then the calculation is a good way to look at it and justify the costs for whatever plan you think you need.

Machine Translation has become a very common way to work today and I see translators regularly using it in all kinds of ways. I think the discussions we used to see here a year or more ago are pretty much a thing of the past and now it's all about how you can post edit better, how you can improve the quality of the MT, how you can use MT to enhance the quality of your fuzzy matches from the TM, how you can work interactively with the MT, how secure is the data you send for translation and which service is best for that etc. We don't earn on advertising, or take advantage of any of the material you send for translation, so providing this service does come at a cost. So the questions for you, and others if you do wish to use MT, are do you need a secure service, is a free service enough (quantity and quality), and if not which plan gives you best return on your investment.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

I largely agree with what you are saying Paul and have felt this way for some years now since a flare-up of an old wrist injury forced me to look for ways to cut down on volumes of typing some years ago. I think the two main competing 'productivity-friendly' ways of working these days are 1) CAT tools with varying degrees of MT-plugin usage and very useful other plugins like web lookup for glossary/dictionary work and, of course, autosuggest (glad to see SDL are making strides towards self-learning autosuggest with fragment matching in the newer iteration, which I have yet to upgrade to) and 2) Spoken translation with apps like DNS (which can arguably be used in conjunction with a CAT tool - I'd like to see this area developed more in the future - full compatibility between autosuggest fragment matching/AI MT and spoken translation/control of the app functions and actions/post-editing would simply be awesome beyond words). As an aside, I would like to see SDL look into integrating basic, but comprehensive enough accounting and project management software into the CAT, designed specifically for freelancers to keep track of projects and clients and make the invoicing and basic accounting process pretty automated (but customisable). Having your entire workflow in one place would be useful (and hopefully time-saving).

I digress. I have a quick question about pricing. Is it possible to upgrade to say a basic plan solely for one month if you envisage a heavy month of work coming up where you might use SDL Language Cloud more than usual and revert back to the free plan after? Also am I right in saying that 400,000 characters is very approximately 60,000 words of translation from a Romance language into English? I assume we are talking characters with spaces here?

Huw

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Language Cloud Plans

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »