The always annoying Trados upgrading process
Thread poster: Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:58
English to Spanish
Sep 26, 2016

This is about the annoying, excruciating, confusing, time-consuming process of upgrading SDL Trados (from 2014 to 2015) for which so many current users hate this software and so many potential users stay away from it.

The confusing instructions tell me that I need an activation code that I can find in the Licenses section of my account. Well, I go to that place and there is no such a thing. Apparently there is some kind of series of actions that I need to perform to make the damn ac
... See more
This is about the annoying, excruciating, confusing, time-consuming process of upgrading SDL Trados (from 2014 to 2015) for which so many current users hate this software and so many potential users stay away from it.

The confusing instructions tell me that I need an activation code that I can find in the Licenses section of my account. Well, I go to that place and there is no such a thing. Apparently there is some kind of series of actions that I need to perform to make the damn activation code to appear?

Now what? I do not have an activation code for my 2015 upgrade!

Please SDL people, you need to bring your old, time-wasting upgrade process to the 21st century!

[Edited at 2016-09-26 16:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Sep 26, 2016

The process is ridiculously cumbersome. In memoQ, you simply install the new version (happens in a few seconds) and it checks the license automatically, so the whole thing is something you can do with a couple of clics and while you give a sip to your coffee.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Answers Sep 26, 2016

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Now what?

This blog post by Paul Filkin should help:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/02/first-things-first/

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
True, but .... Sep 26, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The process is ridiculously cumbersome. In memoQ, you simply install the new version (happens in a few seconds) and it checks the license automatically, so the whole thing is something you can do with a couple of clics and while you give a sip to your coffee.

Yes, but the downside is that Kilgray forces you to pay for the license on a yearly basis, which might even be acceptable nowadays in the era of Saas. However, Kilgray forces you to pay for the license even if you don't use the software. Let's assume you take a sabbatical for a year, in which you don't use MemoQ. When you come back and want to go on using MemoQ, you'll have to renew your license, not for a year starting from then, but they require you to pay for the time you have been away as well, which means that you pay for 2 years although you'll be using the software only one year. This is the only company I know who enforces such a unfair payment scheme.

Walter

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:58
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 26, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Now what?

This blog post by Paul Filkin should help:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/02/first-things-first/

Thank you, Emma.

On my account, there is no "Upgrades Available" link. There is only a "Check For Upgrades" link. If I click on it, leads me to the message: "No data. You have no upgrades".

From Paul's post, apparently I am in the following situation:

There has been reports that some upgraders don’t see this option in their account despite having paid for the upgrade already. The reason for this, as far as I’m aware, is that the upgrade was a different version. So for example upgrading from a 2014 Freelance only to a 2015 Freelance Plus, or a 2014 Freelance Plus to a 2014 Freelance. This seems to have caught out the automatic scripts in the ordering system and when this happens it needs human intervention. So if this is your scenario, or you just can’t understand why you don’t see this upgrade option then just contact the SDL Live Chat and they’ll be able to help you out.

In other words, the pain in my rear goes on and on.

SDL people, clean up your act!

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
MemoQ licences are permanent Sep 26, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

Yes, but the downside is that Kilgray forces you to pay for the license on a yearly basis, which might even be acceptable nowadays in the era of Saas. However, Kilgray forces you to pay for the license even if you don't use the software. Let's assume you take a sabbatical for a year, in which you don't use MemoQ. When you come back and want to go on using MemoQ, you'll have to renew your license, not for a year starting from then, but they require you to pay for the time you have been away as well, which means that you pay for 2 years although you'll be using the software only one year. This is the only company I know who enforces such a unfair payment scheme.

Walter

Are you perhaps talking about the Support Agreement? Translator Pro licences are permanent.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Wrong impression Sep 26, 2016

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

MemoQ licences are permanent
Are you perhaps talking about the Support Agreement? Translator Pro licenses are permanent.

The license is permanent, but if your client upgrades their server software you will be unable to access their upgraded server so you need to upgrade your MQ version. If you haven't paid for 2014 and 2015, for example (because you haven't used your MQ during these 2 years), and pay for 1 year in 2016, your version will be still outdated, because the payment will be taken backwards for year 2014. This is absolutely unfair.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 19:59 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Still confused Sep 26, 2016

Natalie wrote:

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

MemoQ licences are permanent
Are you perhaps talking about the Support Agreement? Translator Pro licenses are permanent.

The license is permanent, but if your client upgrades their server software you will be unable to access their upgraded server so you need to upgrade your MQ version. If you haven't paid for 2014 and 2015, for example (because you haven't used your MQ during these 2 years), and pay for 1 year in 2016, your version will be still outdated, because the payment will be taken backwards for year 2014. This is absolutely unfair.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 19:59 GMT]

Do you mean that Kilgray doesn't offer "Upgrade" pricing? I guess that's true, but the worst case pricing scenario is that you need to purchase a support agreement (about 130 eur or so a year) back to your last purchase date. At a cursory glance, this outlay seems comparable to the pricing for one- and two-version Trados upgrades. After a pause of several years it's probably just cheaper to buy a new license, but then again Trados doesn't support indenfinite upgrades from ancient versions either.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
'Support agreement' is what I mean Sep 26, 2016

You are actually forced to buy it, no matter if you use the software or no, do you download the updates during this period or no. This way the software you use a few times per year costs you 130 euro yearly.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 21:29 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Solutions Sep 27, 2016

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Now what?

Well, did you follow Paul's advice and contact the SDL Live Chat?
You can also ask for free licensing support here:
http://support.xl8.one/
Or ask for support through the SDL Community:
http://xl8.one/

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nobody points a gun to your temple! Sep 27, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:
Yes, but the downside is that Kilgray forces you to pay for the license on a yearly basis, which might even be acceptable nowadays in the era of Saas. However, Kilgray forces you to pay for the license even if you don't use the software.

This is simply false: you do not have to keep paying if you don't want to. Nobody forces you! However, by not paying, you miss the opportunity to immediately enjoy the very many upgrades and improvements over the years. With memoQ's fast-paced evolution, it totally pays to keep up-to-date. I daresay memoQ is easily 50% more productive for me than when I began using it in 2009. The amounts paid over these years have paid many times over.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Unfair", not applicable here Sep 27, 2016

Natalie wrote:

I fail to understand how "unfair" is a valid adjective for a business situation. Buying translation software is always a business decision: if the work you get from your memoQ-based customers is financially interesting enough, then you would naturally decide to upgrade your tool, and it would not be "unfair." If the work does not really pay, then you stop doing that work, and stop paying the support fee.

BTW: The same situation you describe happens to companies every day when they want to work for customers who upgrade their tools, change their requirements, or have to abide by new regulations. "Unfair" does not apply here: either it pays for you to keep doing the work and adapt to the new situation... or it does not pay and you cease doing that work.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:58
English to Arabic
On my account, there is no "Upgrades Available" link Sep 27, 2016

Hi Miquel,

Processing your upgrades in your SDL account is very easy and straightforward.

All you need to do is log in to your SDL account /Licenses and you will see the following-
Upgrade

then

Account Upgrade 2

these are actual screens shots of your personal SDL account to demonstrate the ease of upgrading.

Once you have processed the upgrade, the new 2015 license code(s) will be visible under Licenses.
If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Last off-topic Sep 27, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I fail to understand how "unfair" is a valid adjective for a business situation. Buying translation software is always a business decision: if the work you get from your memoQ-based customers is financially interesting enough, then you would naturally decide to upgrade your tool, and it would not be "unfair." If the work does not really pay, then you stop doing that work, and stop paying the support fee.

BTW: The same situation you describe happens to companies every day when they want to work for customers who upgrade their tools, change their requirements, or have to abide by new regulations. "Unfair" does not apply here: either it pays for you to keep doing the work and adapt to the new situation... or it does not pay and you cease doing that work.

Tomas,

You really don't understand. I have nothing against paying for upgrades and keep doing work. I am against the system when I don't use the tool during 2015 but when I pay in 2016, the payment is taken for the previous year, i.e. for 2015 when I did not use the tool at all, and NOT for the current year for which I am paying. This is what I consider unfair.

However, this is an off-topic here.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off-topic Sep 27, 2016

Natalie wrote:
You really don't understand. I have nothing against paying for upgrades and keep doing work. I am against the system when I don't use the tool during 2015 but when I pay in 2016, the payment is taken for the previous year, i.e. for 2015 when I did not use the tool at all, and NOT for the current year for which I am paying. This is what I consider unfair.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, if you paid for the maintenance in 2016 but not in 2015, wouldn't you be receiving the developments and improvements made to memoQ in 2015, and whose development was sustained by the rest of us with our fee in 2015? That would be unfair...

And, you could have potentially used memoQ in 2015, and during 2015 your CV probably included memoQ among the tools you can work with. All in all, I don't think it is unfair to pay the maintenance to keep your tools up-to-date. Maybe it did not pay financially for you in 2015, but that is, as I said before, a business decision.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The always annoying Trados upgrading process

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »