Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Speech recognition software that works with Trados Studio
Thread poster: Locomotive
Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
Sep 26, 2016

Does anyone know of any speech recognition software that works with Trados Studio? There is software called Nuance that looks quite good but the company does not guarantee compatibility with Trados Studio.

Thank you for your feedback.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:35
French to German
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking works fine with SDL Trados Studio Sep 26, 2016

Hi

The Nuance product mentioned above works flawlessly with Studio. I know quite a few Studio users who use it regularly.

Walter

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:35
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Not flawless Sep 26, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

The Nuance product mentioned above works flawlessly with Studio.

Hmm, I wouldn't call it flawless, Walter! Some versions of Dragon don't work well with Studio (the "correct that" feature doesn't work).
See Michael's and Andrea's comments this morning: http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/306842-this_has_doubled_my_work_performance_have_you_tried_dictation.html

Nora Diaz wrote a useful blog post about how to work around this problem:
http://noradiaz.blogspot.com.es/2016/04/dragon-professional-individual-14-and.html
but it would be much better if it worked properly out of the box in Studio as it does in memoQ.

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Walter Sep 26, 2016

Thanks for your reply Walter. Do you happen to know which version of Nuance as there are several available ranging from under GBP 100 to several GBP 300.

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Sep 26, 2016

Hi again,

All I'm looking for is a tool that can input speech into an sdlxliff file as an alternative to typing.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio is one of Dragon's unsupported applications Sep 26, 2016

As Emma has explained, Studio is not officially supported by Dragon, so there's no full text control, and I don't think we can expect that to change in the foreseeable future.

Having said that, it doesn't mean it's fully incompatible, and, in fact, if you're not familiar with the concept of full text control (Select-and-Say) you may not even miss it when working in Studio. The newer versions of Dragon (called Dragon Professional Individual at the entry level) offer the ability to c
... See more
As Emma has explained, Studio is not officially supported by Dragon, so there's no full text control, and I don't think we can expect that to change in the foreseeable future.

Having said that, it doesn't mean it's fully incompatible, and, in fact, if you're not familiar with the concept of full text control (Select-and-Say) you may not even miss it when working in Studio. The newer versions of Dragon (called Dragon Professional Individual at the entry level) offer the ability to customize Dragon with your own scripts, so that's a great plus and has helped me find ways to make Dragon much more useful than in the past when working in Studio. Furthermore, the new versions of Dragon no longer have the old issues where it would insert extra blank spaces randomly, accuracy has improved tremendously, even with a new profile, and Studio 2015's autocorrect features offer a way around previous capitalization issues, so for the most part, I think everything we need is there.

So, as someone who uses Dragon every day (although I must clarify that not exclusively, as I find that a combination of keyboard and dictation works best for me), I can really recommend it.
Collapse

Isabel Zanella

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nora Sep 26, 2016

I'm actually using Studio 2014. But what is Dragon? Is this a Nuance product? In any case, what would you recommend and how much should I expect to pay, in Euros?

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nuance is the company, Dragon is the product Sep 26, 2016

Hi Locomotive,

Nuance is the company that makes Dragon. Dragon used to be called Dragon Naturally Speaking and since version 14 is now called Dragon Professional Individual. I'm not sure what the price is right now because they sometimes run promotions, but 300 euros for a new license sounds about right, as the upgrades run for 100-150 euros.

Here's the Nuance website whe
... See more
Hi Locomotive,

Nuance is the company that makes Dragon. Dragon used to be called Dragon Naturally Speaking and since version 14 is now called Dragon Professional Individual. I'm not sure what the price is right now because they sometimes run promotions, but 300 euros for a new license sounds about right, as the upgrades run for 100-150 euros.

Here's the Nuance website where you can contact sales:
http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/dragon/dragon-for-the-pc/dragon-professional-individual/index.htm

And I would recommend the KnowBrainer forum. KnowBrainer is a Nuance reseller and they have a great speech recognition forum:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/searchresults.cfm?SearchRange=today
Collapse

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 26, 2016

Thank you so much for this.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One more consideration Sep 26, 2016

I forgot to say that if you're dictating into a language other than English, you will need the bilingual edition of Dragon that includes your language. For example, I have the Spanish edition of Dragon, which allows me to dictate into English or Spanish (not at the same time, though; each language requires a separate profile and only one profile can be running at a time). Many languages are offered, but not all, so it's best to check with Nuance before you buy.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mac Dictation Sep 26, 2016

Locomotive wrote:

Does anyone know of any speech recognition software that works with Trados Studio? There is software called Nuance that looks quite good but the company does not guarantee compatibility with Trados Studio.

Thank you for your feedback.

Apparently OS X Dictation works well with Trados Studio. Cost: nothing.

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/270427-looking_for_a_cat_tool_compatible_with_mac.html

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Nora and Tom Sep 26, 2016

Thanks for your replies. I translate form Norwegian into English so will only speak in English.

I'm aware of the speech recognition tool in Windows 10. Problem is I can't make it work with my Norwegian version of Windows. And I've tried ALL the workarounds!

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:35
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Check this out Sep 26, 2016

https://speechpad.pw/

For a very minimal fee it gives you the option the integrate it to your Windows/Linux OS and consequently use it wherever you put your cursor to. Very accurate.
Norwegian also supported, among many languages.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 17:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-26 17:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-27 08:48 GMT]

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Recep Kurt Sep 26, 2016

Thanks for this.

Locomotive
Locomotive
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Nora Diaz Sep 28, 2016

Hi again Nora,

Just to clarify, I note that there are considerably cheaper versions of Dragon than the one in the link you sent me. I assume the less expensive versions are less likely to be compatible with Trados Studio. Is this correct?

Regards,

Matthew

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech recognition software that works with Trados Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »