Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:25
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Hunspell and Word Sep 22, 2016

Darius Daniel Grigoras wrote:

Back in 2013 I reported the fact that Trados' Romanian spellcheck dictionary uses wrong Turkish characters for "ș" and "ț", i.e. the ones with a cedilla instead of a comma, and this issue has not been fixed in versions 2014 and 2015.

Studio doesn't have a proprietary spellcheck dictionary. It integrates Hunspell and MS Word, whichever you prefer.
So the question is, do Hunspell and Word have the wrong characters when you use these tools outside Studio?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Real user-friendliness Sep 22, 2016

What I would really like to see in any CAT tool is its real user-friendliness and a lot of options to automate some processes, because, let's face it, most CAT tools require quite a lot of computer knowledge.
My wife, who is also a translator, would be at a total loss if I didn't help her every now and again to set up her CAT tool, maintain the TMs etc.

So here is, what I dream of:

- a CAT tool that utilizes a TM in any language direction (yes, I know, this is m
... See more
What I would really like to see in any CAT tool is its real user-friendliness and a lot of options to automate some processes, because, let's face it, most CAT tools require quite a lot of computer knowledge.
My wife, who is also a translator, would be at a total loss if I didn't help her every now and again to set up her CAT tool, maintain the TMs etc.

- a CAT tool that utilizes a TM in any language direction (yes, I know, this is mostly directed at Studio, other tools have had it for years now).

- a CAT tool that automatically prompts me to maintain a TM after a certain time/a number of added TUs.
Then if I click YES, the tool automatically searches for duplicates and other segments considered redundant.
I may have an option to review the candidates to be removed or leave the whole process in the hands of the tool.

- no need to generate Autosuggest Dictionaries, because the tool would generate them from the TMs I indicate after: a certain period of time/a certain number of TUs has been added to the TM/a certain number of words has been translated.

- the option to indicate that a given TM is my "big mama TM", so if I use a different TM (for example an empty one as a project TM), after completing the project, the tool could automatically copy the TUs to the "big mama" (first performing the quick maintenance of the project TM to get rid of duplicates etc.).

- the tool should make MT queries one segment in advance. What I mean is that the moment I move from segment "1" to segment "2", the tool should employ MT engines for segment "3". This would save several seconds of waiting for MT queries when moving to the next segment. As far as I know, only one tool utilizes this method now and it's Wordfast Classic.

Just several thoughts - not really a wishlist for Studio, but just a few ideas where CAT tools should go in the future.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
great idea! Sep 22, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

[…]

[…]
- the tool should make MT queries one segment in advance. What I mean is that the moment I move from segment "1" to segment "2", the tool should employ MT engines for segment "3". This would save several seconds of waiting for MT queries when moving to the next segment. As far as I know, only one tool utilizes this method now and it's Wordfast Classic.

Just several thoughts - not really a wishlist for Studio, but just a few ideas where CAT tools should go in the future.

I really like this idea, and think I might also have suggested sth similar to the developer of CafeTran years ago.

Michael

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
Another dream of revolutionary innovation: Sep 27, 2016

"Toggle language" button (like in Google translate) — to avoid selecting from 200+ "Englishes" and "Russians" each time I need to translate a single document in opposite direction.

I am pleased to know that SDL thinks I can use and distinguish all those sublanguages, but I would rather be happy to see such a button...

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Agree Sep 28, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

"Toggle language" button (like in Google translate) — to avoid selecting from 200+ "Englishes" and "Russians" each time I need to translate a single document in opposite direction.

I am pleased to know that SDL thinks I can use and distinguish all those sublanguages, but I would rather be happy to see such a button...

Yes, at that sales price a CAT tool should have a function to swap languages with one click and another function to remove "unnecessary" languages. Maybe Studio 2017 will keep up with the competition in this regard?

Daniel Dowdle
Daniel Dowdle
United States
Local time: 03:25
Japanese to English
Will the interface look the same?/Features for Asian languages Sep 28, 2016

I am trying to make a decision about whether to pre-order 2017 at the special introductory pricing that expires at the end of this month. Specifically I would like to know:

1) Will the interface change? I use both SDL and MemoQ, and I find the SDL environment to be much too crowded and claustrophobic by comparison. Is the "look" going to be modernized at all? Can we see some screen shots?

2) For Asian languages into English:
a) Are there tools for analyzing pr
... See more
I am trying to make a decision about whether to pre-order 2017 at the special introductory pricing that expires at the end of this month. Specifically I would like to know:

1) Will the interface change? I use both SDL and MemoQ, and I find the SDL environment to be much too crowded and claustrophobic by comparison. Is the "look" going to be modernized at all? Can we see some screen shots?

a) Are there tools for analyzing projects that are paid by target word count? - Word counts, fuzzy and partial word counts, all based on target, and not just character counts, etc. (This is very common for Asian languages into English.)
b) Is there a tool for toggling between single and double byte characters?
c) Is there anything else interesting to make the program less obsessed with European languages?

Anything else that we can actually see? I am not impressed by pre-ordering without a little more proof in general that this product is actually an improvement. On the other hand, when the price goes up, I am almost certain not to upgrade unless 2017 is fantastic and extraordinary.

Thank you
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Right Sep 29, 2016

Daniel Dowdle wrote:

a) Are there tools for analyzing projects that are paid by target word count? - Word counts, fuzzy and partial word counts, all based on target, and not just character counts, etc. (This is very common for Asian languages into English.)
b) Is there a tool for toggling between single and double byte characters?
c) Is there anything else interesting to make the program less obsessed with European languages?

Anything else that we can actually see? I am not impressed by pre-ordering without a little more proof in general that this product is actually an improvement. On the other hand, when the price goes up, I am almost certain not to upgrade unless 2017 is fantastic and extraordinary.

Thank you

Agree. It would be good to see some screenshots or Youtube videos of how Studio 2017 works, what it looks like and its new features in action before one pre-orders.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You mean like this? Sep 30, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hi Stepan,

Do you mean like this?

Thanks,
Luis - SDL

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not really Sep 30, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hi Stepan,

Do you mean like this?

Thanks,
Luis - SDL

To my humble opinion, I think Stepan means (in your example) 'English' (whatever English) - 'German' (whatever German).

Please correct me when I am wrong.

[Edited at 2016-09-30 21:30 GMT]

Marco Fiemozzi
Marco Fiemozzi  Identity Verified
France
English to Italian
+ ...
Upgrade from Studio 2014 to 2017 Oct 5, 2016

Hi Dan,

I own Trados Studio 2014 FL with Autosuggest creator.
Can I upgrade directly to 2017 or do I really need to upgrade to 2015 first?

Thanks in advance for your kind answer!
Marco

SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2015 and receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 free upon release Oct 5, 2016

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your message!

You will need to upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2014 to Studio 2015 (includes free AutoSuggest creator). You will then receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 for FREE upon release.

We currently have a fantastic upgrade price of £150. To upgrade, please visit our online store: http://www.translationzone.com/store/

Many
... See more
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your message!

You will need to upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2014 to Studio 2015 (includes free AutoSuggest creator). You will then receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 for FREE upon release.

We currently have a fantastic upgrade price of £150. To upgrade, please visit our online store: http://www.translationzone.com/store/

Many thanks,

Dan
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
Yes! Oct 6, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hi Stepan,

Do you mean like this?

Thanks,
Luis - SDL

Hi Luis,
Yes, I mean this option (together with the endless list of sublanguages, it makes selecting one I need a real annoying process). By the way, Trados has 2 additional variants even for Russian (Moldavian Russian and Ukrainian Russian) even though there is actually only one Russian language. Why not add Brazilian Japanese or Canadian Kazakh... But ok, programming for programmers, languages for linguists.

Is it 2017? I use 2015 but cannot see this reverse option...

======================================
Also I cannot insert symbols from 'Advanced' tab because a good half of options disappears on a regular basis. I found Paul's workaround (by renaming the 12.0.0.0 folder at c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12.0.0.0), but it removes all my adjustments/shortcuts and it does not work long — after a while it disappears again...

Normally it looks like this:

In my case, it looks like this:

UPDATE: It looks like 'Reset Window Layout' fixes the 'Advanced' tab.
All clear for now.

[Edited at 2016-10-06 06:37 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
. Oct 6, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

SDL Community wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hi Stepan,

Do you mean like this?

Thanks,
Luis - SDL

Hi Luis,
Yes, I mean this option (together with the endless list of sublanguages, it makes selecting one I need a real annoying process). By the way, Trados has 2 additional variants even for Russian (Moldavian Russian and Ukrainian Russian) even though there is actually only one Russian language. Why not add Brazilian Japanese or Canadian Kazakh... But ok, programming for programmers, languages for linguists.

Is it 2017? I use 2015 but cannot see this reverse option...

======================================
Also I cannot insert symbols from 'Advanced' tab because a good half of options disappears on a regular basis. I found Paul's workaround (by renaming the 12.0.0.0 folder at c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12.0.0.0), but it removes all my adjustments/shortcuts and it does not work long — after a while it disappears again...

Normally it looks like this:

In my case, it looks like this:

UPDATE: It looks like 'Reset Window Layout' fixes the 'Advanced' tab.
All clear for now.

[Edited at 2016-10-06 06:37 GMT]

Hi Stepan,

1. On the language variants: We as SDL do not create those, they come directly from the operation system. So we basically just surface what Microsoft implements as languages in .NET. They added hundreds of variants with the Windows 10/.NET release, which is why the list is so long now.

2. Yes, the reverse language option is new in Studio 2017, which is why you don't see it in 2015. In addition to this we also now have a list of "recently used languages" so that you have commonly used at the top and don't need to scroll through the huge list.

Thanks,
Luis

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Word preview available? Oct 11, 2016

I've recently bought Studio 2015, since this will allow me to get a free upgrade to 2017. Upon installing it, I was highly disappointed that there is still no preview (a simple, let alone a real-time one) for Word 2013 Home and Business, which makes me lose too much time doing the last reading in Word, correcting there, then doing the shuttle to Studio over and over again. It's bearable for files of up to 2k words, but for more that that, productivity loss is tremendous. SDL boast on productivi... See more
I've recently bought Studio 2015, since this will allow me to get a free upgrade to 2017. Upon installing it, I was highly disappointed that there is still no preview (a simple, let alone a real-time one) for Word 2013 Home and Business, which makes me lose too much time doing the last reading in Word, correcting there, then doing the shuttle to Studio over and over again. It's bearable for files of up to 2k words, but for more that that, productivity loss is tremendous. SDL boast on productivity gain, don't they?

I'm not really interested in machine translation, which for my target language gives hilarious results, but in simple tricks, such as being able to select the text in the display filter with a shortcut (normally CTRL+A) while the cursor is there, as you can do this in the concordance search box, or dragging-and-dropping a selected portion of text from the source to the target or to the filter box, or else, having the cursor at the end of the translated text when toggling between source and target with F6. But most of all, with Studio 2017, I would like to see the preview back. When I asked some time ago why there is no preview of Word 2013 in Studio 2014, I was told that the developers were focused on newer versions (I still think that Word 2013 was issued before Studio 2014 ans should have been supported, if not straight away, but at least in SP2). Pity this is still not addressed in Studio 2015.

So, my question: will there be a Word preview available in Studio 2017 for click-to-run installations (such as the stand-alone Office 2013 Home and Business package). What about Office 2016 versions?

[Modifié le 2016-10-11 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Helpful? Oct 11, 2016

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

I've recently bought Studio 2015, since this will allow me to get a free upgrade to 2017. Upon installing it, I was highly disappointed that there is still no preview (a simple, let alone a real-time one) for Word 2013 Home and Business, which makes me lose too much time doing the last reading in Word, correcting there, then doing the shuttle to Studio over and over again. It's bearable for files of up to 2k words, but for more that that, productivity loss is tremendous. SDL boast on productivity gain, don't they?

I'm not really interested in machine translation, which for my target language gives hilarious results, but in simple tricks, such as being able to select the text in the display filter with a shortcut (normally CTRL+A) while the cursor is there, as you can do this in the concordance search box, or dragging-and-dropping a selected portion of text from the source to the target or to the filter box, or else, having the cursor at the end of the translated text when toggling between source and target with F6. But most of all, with Studio 2017, I would like to see the preview back. When I asked some time ago why there is no preview of Word 2013 in Studio 2014, I was told that the developers were focused on newer versions (I still think that Word 2013 was issued before Studio 2014 ans should have been supported, if not straight away, but at least in SP2). Pity this is still not addressed in Studio 2015.

So, my question: will there be a Word preview available in Studio 2017 for click-to-run installations (such as the stand-alone Office 2013 Home and Business package). What about Office 2016 versions?

[Modifié le 2016-10-11 13:53 GMT]

Hi,

Perhaps this will help?

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/12/29/preview/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 is coming soon!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »