CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:42
Not new indeed Aug 23, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Before I forget, I just want to post this question here for future discussion:
If the adaptiveMT engine is new, are we replacing with its use the old TM system or not. Or is using it an additional step? How exactly will it make things faster for us?

Hi, from what I know, AdaptiveMT will be just a new form of the SDL Language Cloud optional machine translation engine, which you can use or not alongside your TMs and other MT engines.
If you use it, then it will adapt its output to how you edited its previous results.

Just to give you an example.
If the MT engine incorrectly translates Polish:
"Hotel oferuje gościom nowoczesną SIŁOWNIĘ"
into English
"The hotel offers its guests an advanced POWER PLANT",
I can post-edit the output (or simply write my own translation from scratch), changing the "power plant" into the context-appropriate "gym". Then the MT engine will learn to recognize that in such a context (probably because of the presence of the words "hotel" and "guests") the word "gym" is more appropriate than "power plant".

That's it. Perhaps not revolutionary, but useful.

[Edited at 2016-08-19 18:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-19 18:21 GMT]

Other tools offer that too: they can correct the results of MT with the words you've typed previously in the project.

Kamil Gałczyński
Kamil Gałczyński  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
Color scheme?! Aug 24, 2016

I have one simple question: will be possible to set-up colors and icons identical like in old Studio 2011? I'm sick, when I see how ugly looks Studio 2015! And now I'm trying translate in Passolo 2016. Which genius set up the white background in Properties Window?! Is any possibility to set it manually to dark? Can you imagine, not all people have the same color scheme in system?!

Really, when I see, which way goes Studio I think, SDL Team should be replaced by people, who first a
... See more
I have one simple question: will be possible to set-up colors and icons identical like in old Studio 2011? I'm sick, when I see how ugly looks Studio 2015! And now I'm trying translate in Passolo 2016. Which genius set up the white background in Properties Window?! Is any possibility to set it manually to dark? Can you imagine, not all people have the same color scheme in system?!

Really, when I see, which way goes Studio I think, SDL Team should be replaced by people, who first ask users about new features and if these features are really needed, and then implement it!

Please - you can compare it self: both programs are launched under the same color scheme.
And how do you think - in which version I can work without problems?
http://imgur.com/ZAdx3fe

[Zmieniono 2016-08-24 07:58 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SDL Color Theme plugin Aug 24, 2016

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

Really, when I see, which way goes Studio I think, SDL Team should be replaced by people, who first ask users about new features and if these features are really needed, and then implement it!

Please - you can compare it self: both programs are launched under the same color scheme.
And how do you think - in which version I can work without problems?
http://imgur.com/ZAdx3fe

[Zmieniono 2016-08-24 07:58 GMT]

Try this SDL app: http://appstore.sdl.com/app/color-theme-plugin/364/

Michael

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Autosuggest creator in Studio 2017 Aug 24, 2016

Just to make sure, will Autosuggest Creator be also included as a part of Studio 2017 Freelance Plus package?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What else is new in SDL 2017? Aug 24, 2016

I am curious. All I read and hear about this new version is the adaptivivity of the MT. What else is new, or is it just an update of 2015 with a few extra 'bells', like the upgrade from SDL 2014 to 2015?

Could somebody please tell me?

[Edited at 2016-08-24 20:06 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
sdl.com Aug 24, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I am curious. All I read and hear about this new version is the adaptivivity of the MT. What else is new, or is it just an update of 2015 with a few extra 'bells', like the upgrade from SDL 2014 to 2015?

Start here: http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/coming-soon/

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Hard breaks ruining segmentation will be a thing of the past Aug 24, 2016

I took part in a webinar this afternoon and that was one of the new features. It was just briefly mentioned so I don't know exactly how this will work.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you, but...... Aug 24, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Start here: http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/coming-soon/

Wasn't 2015 already 'revolutionary'? (if I remember correctly). What I read is the same marketing blah, blah: 'improved this, enhanced that, increased such and more intuitive so, and all with more functionality for a peak performance'. I have heard that story before, but what is new? Chances are that if I upgrade to 2017, I will get 2015 (or 2014 for that matter) with some extra functions I won't use anyhow.

Sorry Micheal, but this link is telling me nothing. Question still stands.

[Edited at 2016-08-24 21:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-24 21:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-24 22:20 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:42
English to Russian
Strongly support... Aug 24, 2016

...this concern: what is new except adaptive machine translation (shyly abbreviated as MT)?
Is the 2017 for machine translators only?
My question about reading TM in both directions was left without an answer. Ok.
Next branch question about the [no]difference between "Add new term" and "Quick add new term" was left without an answer except that "it is only one mouse move to overcome it". Well... clicking the disk-save icon is also only one mouse click. Not a problem.
G
... See more
...this concern: what is new except adaptive machine translation (shyly abbreviated as MT)?
Next branch question about the [no]difference between "Add new term" and "Quick add new term" was left without an answer except that "it is only one mouse move to overcome it". Well... clicking the disk-save icon is also only one mouse click. Not a problem.
Google translate is getting extremely adaptive day to day... Boring.
So... What is new?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the new stuff Aug 24, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

Google translate is getting extremely adaptive day to day... Boring.
So... What is new?

Have you been following the whole "Lift" (no, not "Lilt", but "Lift"; I know they all sound the same), these past many months? Well, SDL bought it (its creator Kevin Flanagan is now working for SDL), and stuck it in Studio 2017, calling it "upLIFT". Pretty interesting stuff, and I am really looking forward to trying it out.

They also seem to be implementing some kind of "Match Patch" (aka automatic fuzzy match repair), à la memoQ. As far as I know, this will be powered by the upLIFT technology. See: https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/solutions/customer_experience_cloud/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8225

"AdaptiveMT": Studio will remember your changes to MT output. Or something like that. Also very interesting.

They also said they have improved all kinds of terminology/MultiTerm stuff. Looking forward to find out what, as I feel Studio really needs a bit of work in this area re usability.

Improved merging (across hard breaks).

And a few other things.

M

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Patch Aug 24, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Have you been following the whole "Lift" (no, not "Lilt", but "Lift"; I know they all sound the same), these past many months? Well, SDL bought it (its creator Kevin Flanagan is now working for SDL), and stuck it in Studio 2017, calling it "upLIFT". Pretty interesting stuff, and I am really looking forward to trying it out.

They also seem to be implementing some kind of "Match Patch" (aka automatic fuzzy match repair), à la memoQ. As far as I know, this will be powered by the upLIFT technology. See: https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/solutions/customer_experience_cloud/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8225

"AdaptiveMT": Studio will remember your changes to MT output. Or something like that. Also very interesting.

They also said they have improved all kinds of terminology/MultiTerm stuff. Looking forward to find out what, as I feel Studio really needs a bit of work in this area re usability.

Improved merging (across hard breaks).

And a few other things.

M

The last part sounds like what should normally be addressed with a patch, not with a new paid for version...
For some inexplicable reason, even if they've been churning out version after version for n years, there always is something that needs fixing/improving here and there... I wonder why...

That leaves the MT stuff as the only "real" change... :-|

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:42
English to Thai
+ ...
A surprise Aug 25, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Just to give you an example.
If the MT engine incorrectly translates Polish:
"Hotel oferuje gościom nowoczesną SIŁOWNIĘ"
into English
"The hotel offers its guests an advanced POWER PLANT",
I can post-edit the output (or simply write my own translation from scratch), changing the "power plant" into the context-appropriate "gym". Then the MT engine will learn to recognize that in such a context (probably because of the presence of the words "hotel" and "guests") the word "gym" is more appropriate than "power plant".

That's it. Perhaps not revolutionary, but useful.

Yes, this point is where translators are working with bottlenecks. Let's imagine how we did jobs in 2000s, now it is time we will revolutionize our workflow by introducing latest technology. MT is not fully perfect but men can intervene with the job processes minimally, and get paid similarly. Why not a surprise!

Soonthon L.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Improve F6 function/ drag and drop to filter Aug 25, 2016

One thing that drives me mad when I switch between source and target (F6 function) - I work with 2014, I don't know how this is addressed in 2015 - is that the cursor gets placed in the beginning of the target segment, while, I suppose, the logic thing is that I type my translation where I last stopped, that is - at the end. I know, it's just one click, but it's boring. Isn't Studio supposed to enhance our productivity?

Another functionality I would like to see, is the possibility o
... See more
One thing that drives me mad when I switch between source and target (F6 function) - I work with 2014, I don't know how this is addressed in 2015 - is that the cursor gets placed in the beginning of the target segment, while, I suppose, the logic thing is that I type my translation where I last stopped, that is - at the end. I know, it's just one click, but it's boring. Isn't Studio supposed to enhance our productivity?

Another functionality I would like to see, is the possibility of dragging and dropping a selection from the translation area into the filter box. Those who don't work with a mouse but with a touchpad will support, I suppose.

I think that these two productivity-friendly options should be easily addressed.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Date Aug 25, 2016

So now we know from the webinar that the premiere date will be somewhere in October

Olieslagers
Olieslagers
French Polynesia
Local time: 20:42
Dutch to French
+ ...
Studio 2017 on Linux Aug 29, 2016

I am just wondering if Studio 2017 works on Linux?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 is coming soon!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »