Thread poster: Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:11
Member (2005)
French to English
Jul 3, 2016

A couple days ago, after restarting my computer, I noticed that automated translation in Trados Studio was behaving differently than it had before. I'm currently working on files with a lot of cross repetitions and TM matches. I was also given a reference file for this job with instructions to use as a priority over the TM in the package. The problem is that now, whenever I modify/update a segment, it seems to be sent to the memory but not taken into account for the automated translation. (Excus... See more
A couple days ago, after restarting my computer, I noticed that automated translation in Trados Studio was behaving differently than it had before. I'm currently working on files with a lot of cross repetitions and TM matches. I was also given a reference file for this job with instructions to use as a priority over the TM in the package. The problem is that now, whenever I modify/update a segment, it seems to be sent to the memory but not taken into account for the automated translation. (Excuse me if I'm not explaining this well). For example, if I have "This testing report" in the TM, which I update to "This test report", I confirm the segment and Trados still uses "This testing report" in the rest of the file. When I open another file with similar contents, with automated translation, it again gives me "This testing report", although if I return to the segment manually, it does give me a message saying "different target in the TM". I've tried changing various settings but haven't been able to fix this on my own. It doesn't seem to be project-specific. This happened with my previous job as well, where my translations/edits, which were being sent to the memory, weren't being used for automated translation. Again, this only started happened when I restarted my computer. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The changes you make and confirm go only to the TM Jul 22, 2016

Mary

Whenever you confirm a segment, it is stored in your TM(s), but it does not have any influence on the results you get from automated translation.

Automated translation is a one-way process: Studio sends your source segment to the MT engine (e.g. Language Cloud or Google Translate) and returns a suggestion. But if you correct this suggestion, nothing goes back to the MT engine.

Walter

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
English to Spanish
... Jul 22, 2016

Mary,

You are really speaking about the expected suggestions from the TM, not about machine translation (MT). Is that correct?

Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jul 22, 2016

Miguel, that's right. I apologize if I wasn't clearer. I'm not using any machine translation, only a translation memory with its suggestions.

Thanks

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
English to Spanish
... Jul 22, 2016

Mary,

Sadly, the problem you are experiencing happens frequently to many users of SDL Trados. Just yesterday, or the day before, there was a new post exactly on this issue.

Another similar problem is Multiterm termbases not keeping the terms users add to them.

Both issues appear intermittently, have been ongoing problems for years, and apparently SDL people have no idea what is causing them, much less how to correct them.

Sorry, I wish I had be
... See more
Mary,

Sadly, the problem you are experiencing happens frequently to many users of SDL Trados. Just yesterday, or the day before, there was a new post exactly on this issue.

Another similar problem is Multiterm termbases not keeping the terms users add to them.

Both issues appear intermittently, have been ongoing problems for years, and apparently SDL people have no idea what is causing them, much less how to correct them.

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 TM and automated translations not matching

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »