Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2016

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague who uses Studio 2014 asked me to help with getting started, so I demonstrated a few things with my version of Studio 2014 (so that it looked the same as my colleague's screen and setup). I opened an older project that I had done in Studio 2014, and we played about with some of the features.

But since then, Studio 2014 seems to have taken over as the 'default' Studio on my computer!
If I click on a new package from a client, it opens in Studio
... See more
A couple of weeks ago, a colleague who uses Studio 2014 asked me to help with getting started, so I demonstrated a few things with my version of Studio 2014 (so that it looked the same as my colleague's screen and setup). I opened an older project that I had done in Studio 2014, and we played about with some of the features.

But since then, Studio 2014 seems to have taken over as the 'default' Studio on my computer!
If I click on a new package from a client, it opens in Studio 2014, not 2015.

When I receive a package from a client - whom I know uses Studio 2015 - I usually set up a folder on my desktop with the package, the WYSIWYG source files as Word or PDF, the PO, and anything else connected with the project.

Of course, the workaround is to start from the homepage of Studio 2015, choose 'Open Package', and from there everything is fine.

Today I wanted to revive a project from a couple of months back. It was from an occasional client, so I closed the whole thing down when it was finished.
Now the client has unexpectedly sent a new file, which ideally I would like to add to the earlier project. I know it was created in Studio 2015, but it will not open in Studio 2015, and I can't browse back to it and open it.
If I go to the project in the archive and try to open it from there, it opens in Studio 2014.

I have waited for years for the AutoCorrect feature in Studio 2015 - and it really helps me, so I don't want to go back to 2014.
Of course, I could simply set up a new project and use the old TM and so on from the other project - it's no big deal.

However, I wondered if there was any way to reinstate 2015 as the default version?
If the same thing happens with all my earlier projects even when they were originally set up in Studio 2015, it is going to be a nuisance!

I have removed this particular project from the list in Studio, as it was getting very long. Earlier on, I have simply gone back to the archive and opened projects from there if I needed to. I don't do it often, but I THINK they always used to open in the latest version of Studio. Now everything opens in 2014...

There isn't a package in this particular project: I set it up myself, so I can't use the 'Open Package' option from the Studio homepage, and I can't see any other way of opening it with Studio 2015!

Any suggestions, please?

Meanwhile I will simply set up a new project this time.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Repair Feb 4, 2016

I think you can give Studio 2015 priority again by going to Windows Control Panel, clicking on Studio 2015 and then "Repair"f.
It's worth a try, at least.
(Make sure Studio is closed before you do it.)

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Open project Feb 4, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

There isn't a package in this particular project: I set it up myself, so I can't use the 'Open Package' option from the Studio homepage, and I can't see any other way of opening it with Studio 2015!

Any suggestions, please?

In this case, open Studio 2015, go to Project view and click on "open project".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 4, 2016

I tried the Repair.

It took a terrifyingly long time... but it seems to have worked, and now the package icons have even changed to look like 2015 icons instead of 2014 icons.

Everything is functioning perfectly so far.

Thank you, Emma!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
icons should change Feb 5, 2016

if they hadn't, it would have indicate that 2015 still had not got the priority.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:37
English to Arabic
I have Studio 2015 - but projects open in Studio 2014 Feb 5, 2016

Hi Christine,

Could you provide the 6 digit order number of the 2015 upgrade so I can track your account and license status please.

I have found an account under a similar name but need to be sure as what I can see is that one of the 2014 licenses was not returned/still active- which will explain the issue you have if true.

KR

SDL_Steve

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Studio 2015- projects in 2014 Feb 5, 2016

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the email.
I have replied her on Proz as this may help others with the same issues.

The problem here is that you have multiple licenses 2009/2011/2014/2015 all with still active licenses.

The 2015 FL license is blocked from activating correctly due to the still active 2014 version.
Please deactivate the 2014 versions from the second machine then 2015 becomes the default.

If you still have issues- I'm more th
... See more
Hi Christine,

Thanks for the email.
I have replied her on Proz as this may help others with the same issues.

The problem here is that you have multiple licenses 2009/2011/2014/2015 all with still active licenses.

The 2015 FL license is blocked from activating correctly due to the still active 2014 version.
Please deactivate the 2014 versions from the second machine then 2015 becomes the default.

If you still have issues- I'm more that happy to do a remote WebEx with you so that you get the license up and running smoothly.

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Michael Watson
Michael Watson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
FAO SDL_Steve Feb 5, 2016

Hi Steve,

I have had a similar problem except in my case I think my problems started when I deleted Studio 2011 from my computer (and left 2014 and 2015 installed). Before that projects opened under 2015 then they started opening under 2014.

Just to clarify the licence issue: I have had all versions of Studio and in all cases I have had the option allowing me to also install it on my laptop. If I have 2015, should I then return all my other licences (2014 and earlier) o
... See more
Hi Steve,

I have had a similar problem except in my case I think my problems started when I deleted Studio 2011 from my computer (and left 2014 and 2015 installed). Before that projects opened under 2015 then they started opening under 2014.

Just to clarify the licence issue: I have had all versions of Studio and in all cases I have had the option allowing me to also install it on my laptop. If I have 2015, should I then return all my other licences (2014 and earlier) on both my desktop and laptop?

Also will it be OK to delete any previous Studio versions?

Thanks in advance.

BR

Michael
Collapse

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
FAO SDL_Steve Feb 5, 2016

Hi Michael,

Yes indeed- I have just checked your account and you have 'active' 2009/2011/2014 licenses which therefore are 'blocking the correct and full Studio 2015 activation.

Again as previously said- if the deactivation of 2014 does not work correctly- i'm more than happy to do a remote (WebEx) session with you.

Kr
SDL_Steve

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
What if one wants/needs to keep 2011 or 2014 still active? Feb 5, 2016

FAO SDL_Steve wrote:

'active' 2009/2011/2014 licenses which therefore are 'blocking the correct and full Studio 2015 activation

Hi Steve,

But what about if one wants or needs to keep 2011 and/or 2014 still active?

In the past I experienced a (very few) projects that would only work with one (past) version of Studio, so I'm very leery of deactivating past licenses and relying only on the newest one.

Why can't you guys learn something from Kilgray and let the users keep and use any number of different versions of your software peacefully co-existing on the same computer?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have Studio 2015 - but projects open in Studio 2014

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »