Thread poster: Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:46
English to German
Jan 23, 2016

Hello,

I have been doing quite a number of alignments in Trados Studio 2015 since Dec. 2015 and I keep experiencing extremely bad/slow performance in the alignment editor, especially when disconnecting and reconnecting segments. The bigger the files, the worse it gets.

My Studio version is: 12.0.4996.3

My computer may not be the newest, but it is still very good regarding its performance.

I have also done a whole lot of alignments with Trados S
... See more
Hello,

I have been doing quite a number of alignments in Trados Studio 2015 since Dec. 2015 and I keep experiencing extremely bad/slow performance in the alignment editor, especially when disconnecting and reconnecting segments. The bigger the files, the worse it gets.

My Studio version is: 12.0.4996.3

My computer may not be the newest, but it is still very good regarding its performance.

I have also done a whole lot of alignments with Trados Studio 2014 on a - by far - inferior machine, and I have never ever experienced such issues with 2014, even when working with very large files. That was a professional version though and I'm using a freelance version of 2015 now.

Interesteingly, this problem only occurs with the alignment editor. I can process huge files for translation without any trouble at all.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas what might cause this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Christian
Collapse

Daniel Bilyuba

Arnaud Brusselmans
Arnaud Brusselmans  Identity Verified
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
Screen resolution? May 26, 2016

Hello Christian,

Sorry if I answer your question quite late. I did an alignment job a few months ago and I experienced the same kind of problem.

I was using a laptop connected to a separate screen with a high resolution, the one by default when I (physically) close the laptop. After some time, I realized the alignment tool worked faster when the laptop was not connected to the separate screen, or when it was connected but not closed. I’ve been using Windows 10 for a
... See more
Hello Christian,

Sorry if I answer your question quite late. I did an alignment job a few months ago and I experienced the same kind of problem.

I was using a laptop connected to a separate screen with a high resolution, the one by default when I (physically) close the laptop. After some time, I realized the alignment tool worked faster when the laptop was not connected to the separate screen, or when it was connected but not closed. I’ve been using Windows 10 for a few months, but I don’t know if it matters anyhow.

I hope this can help you or anyone else, though this is just what I experienced.

Best regards,

Arnaud
Collapse

Christian Schaller
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Still problematic Jun 4, 2016

I tried switching to lower screen resolution which helped a bit, but made work somewhat tedious since I was only able to view a few segments at a time.

I am currently working on an alignment of a Word document with about 100 pages and performance in the alignment editor of Trados Studio 2015 is so slow, I keep thinking it will just shut down at any moment. I am losing so much time it isn't really funny anymore.

Any word from SDL on this issue would be greatly appreciate
... See more
I tried switching to lower screen resolution which helped a bit, but made work somewhat tedious since I was only able to view a few segments at a time.

I am currently working on an alignment of a Word document with about 100 pages and performance in the alignment editor of Trados Studio 2015 is so slow, I keep thinking it will just shut down at any moment. I am losing so much time it isn't really funny anymore.

Any word from SDL on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Again, this is not a general performance issue. I am working on a Windows 10 PC and my performance on everything else, including the translation of really big documents in Trados Studio 2015 is working absolutely fine. It is only the alignment editor that is acting up.

EDIT: Studio crashed completely with the latest alignment. The only way I see to currently align documents of the above-mentioned size is to split the documents down to a size of max. 20-25 pages. This way the performance of Studio appears to be more or less acceptable. This is still somehwhat annoying though.

[Edited at 2016-06-04 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Dietger Houben
Dietger Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did you ever get any reply from SDL? Feb 24, 2017

Hello Christian

I'm experiencing the same issue as we speak, and it is horribly annoying. Never thought I would wish for WinAlign to come back.
Moreover, I just bought a new pc, so that can have nothing to do with this.
Did you ever get any reply from SDL concerning a solution? The whole alignment process is so much worse in Studio; I have no idea what they were thinking at SDL...

Kind regards
Dietger

Christian Schaller wrote:

Any word from SDL on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Again, this is not a general performance issue. I am working on a Windows 10 PC and my performance on everything else, including the translation of really big documents in Trados Studio 2015 is working absolutely fine. It is only the alignment editor that is acting up.

EDIT: Studio crashed completely with the latest alignment. The only way I see to currently align documents of the above-mentioned size is to split the documents down to a size of max. 20-25 pages. This way the performance of Studio appears to be more or less acceptable. This is still somehwhat annoying though.

[Edited at 2016-06-04 10:08 GMT]

Christian Schaller
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No... Feb 24, 2017

Now that you ask me... I think I tried to submit a ticket but found that I somehow couldn't. But it has been a while.

As I don't do big alignments very often, I mostly gave up on it anyway. Or, as a work around, I just split up the files in numerous parts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extremely slow performance of alignment editor in Studio 2015

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »