Does Trados 2015 support Transit and Wordfast files or other package types?
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:44
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
Nov 29, 2015

Hello,

I have a question connected with Trados 2015, which is very important to my budget, as I'm considering to buy another CAT tool, i.e. Memoq.
Namely, does Trados 2015 support Transit and Wordfast files or other package types than its own?
Are there perhaps specific Trados plug-ins, which allow processing file types that I mentioned before (until now, I haven't found any on Open Exchange on my own).

I've tried to import my Trados TMs into Memoq, but unfo
... See more
Hello,

I have a question connected with Trados 2015, which is very important to my budget, as I'm considering to buy another CAT tool, i.e. Memoq.
Namely, does Trados 2015 support Transit and Wordfast files or other package types than its own?
Are there perhaps specific Trados plug-ins, which allow processing file types that I mentioned before (until now, I haven't found any on Open Exchange on my own).

I've tried to import my Trados TMs into Memoq, but unfortunately, there showed up some errors during the import.

Besides, I think that although Memoq seems to be more compatible with other file types than its own, I would like to stay with Trados 2015, because I'm used to it.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you checked on SDL's site? Nov 29, 2015

Anyway, if the tool in question can export xliff files, you should be fine. xliff is a defacto standard for exchanging files between translation tools these days, so I don't think you should have any problems. But again, if the CAT tool you are interested in, does not support xliff, then you may be in trouble.

Roy

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have checked Oped Exchange, but found no appropriate plug-ins Nov 29, 2015

Hi Roy,

I have checked the SDL Open Exchange site, but found no plug-ins, which would allow Trados 2015 the processing of files and packages in Transit and Wordfast.

Trados 2015 indeed supports xliff, but a project manager of a company I've recently worked with said that it's impossible for Trados to process files and packages in Transit and Wordfast.

Was she right or wrong, then?

[Zmieniono 2015-11-29 16:33 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filetype for Wordfast Professional Nov 29, 2015

Hi,
In fact, there is a filetype plugin availabe for download in the OpenExchange for TXML Wordfast Professional files.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionforwordfasttxml-803.html#85423
I've never used Transit and I reckon there isn't a filetype available for this application.
Hope it he
... See more
Hi,
In fact, there is a filetype plugin availabe for download in the OpenExchange for TXML Wordfast Professional files.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/filetypedefinitionforwordfasttxml-803.html#85423
I've never used Transit and I reckon there isn't a filetype available for this application.
Hope it helps.
Collapse

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the Wordfast plug-in, however ... Nov 29, 2015

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you very much for giving me the link to the Wordfast plug-in for Trados 2015!

However, I would still like to know, if there is a way to make Trados 2015 more compatible with Transit or other file types, the way Memoq is.

As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't to switch to another CAT tool, because I'm used to Trados and I imagine that switching back and forth between two CAT tools, plus exporting/importing translation memories and term bases
... See more
Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you very much for giving me the link to the Wordfast plug-in for Trados 2015!

However, I would still like to know, if there is a way to make Trados 2015 more compatible with Transit or other file types, the way Memoq is.

As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't to switch to another CAT tool, because I'm used to Trados and I imagine that switching back and forth between two CAT tools, plus exporting/importing translation memories and term bases is very time consuming.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados 2015 support Transit and Wordfast files or other package types?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »