Elizabeth Manning
Elizabeth Manning  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2015

I have just upgraded from Studio 2011 to Studio 15, only to find that I can no longer dictate directly into the segment as I could with Studio 2011. Having to use the dictation box all of the time is extremely cumbersome and slows down my work considerably.
Why is this happening?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try unchecking: Nov 28, 2015

Elizabeth Manning wrote:

I have just upgraded from Studio 2011 to Studio 15, only to find that I can no longer dictate directly into the segment as I could with Studio 2011. Having to use the dictation box all of the time is extremely cumbersome and slows down my work considerably.
Why is this happening?

Options > Miscellaneous > Use the dictation box for unsupported applications (in Dragon's settings)

This might fix it.

[Edited at 2015-11-28 13:14 GMT]

Elizabeth Manning
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but unchecking the dictation box in Dragon doesn't work. Nov 28, 2015

Thanks for your input, Michael, but this doesn't make any difference.

I suspect this is a Trados problem rather than a Dragon issue, as I had no problems with Studio 2011.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2nd suggestion Nov 28, 2015

Elizabeth Manning wrote:

Thanks for your input, Michael, but this doesn't make any difference.

I suspect this is a Trados problem rather than a Dragon issue, as I had no problems with Studio 2011.

If that didn't work, my next suggestion is to repair/reinstall Dragon (preferably using the original installer, as administrator), restart Windows and try again. This is often needed after installing a new program you want Dragon to "see".

Dragon works fine in Studio 2015 on my computer, so I'm sure it's possible to get it to work.

[Edited at 2015-11-28 21:29 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It does work Nov 28, 2015

Like Michael explained, unchecking the setting that tells Dragon to use the dictation box for unsupported applications solves the issue. I have been using DNS 13 with Studio 2015 since day one by doing this.

Elizabeth Manning
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved. Reinstalled from the installation disk. Nov 29, 2015

Thanks, Michael.

Repair didn't work so I reinstalled from the installation disk and everything appears to be tickety-boo. So far.

Mercy buckets.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tweaking Dragon settings when first installing Nov 29, 2015

Elizabeth Manning wrote:

Thanks, Michael.

Repair didn't work so I reinstalled from the installation disk and everything appears to be tickety-boo. So far.

Mercy buckets.

You're welcome!

There are actually also a ton/ of settings that you can tweak when first setting up Dragon to optimise things, many of which have been covered comprehensively in this useful PDF from KnowBrainer:

www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/KnowBrainer_Tweaks.PDF

KnowBrainer is a Dragon reseller with the best forum for speech recognition topics currently available; the forum is here: http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

This Proz forum is great for more translator-centric stuff, but the KnowBrainer forum is the place to go if you don't get the answer you are looking for here on Proz.

From the PDF: "The following recommendations are a collection of our favorite personal presets for making NaturallySpeaking run smoothly with Windows. […]"

Elizabeth Manning
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 30, 2015

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Stephen Fennell
Stephen Fennell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Worked for me too Mar 21, 2016

Yes, it worked for me and I am mighty grateful. Being able to dictate in Trados is a great benefit. To make Dragon type directly into Trados you go Tools > Options > Miscellaneous; then remove the tick from 'Use the dictation box for unsupported applications'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot dictate directly into segment with Dragon 13 in Trados Studio 15

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »