Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2015

This came with the last update. The application forgets where is was open last time and always opens on the main screen.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:44
French to German
+ ...
I can't reproduce this Nov 26, 2015

in my case it does remember.

Which update do you mean? SR1.1? Do you have 4961.2?

Walter

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
12.0.4691.2 Nov 26, 2015

Good if it is only my problem.

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This information may help you debug Nov 26, 2015

Heinrich

The coordinates of the Studio window are stored in the UserSettings.xml file, which is updated whenever you close Studio.
The file is in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL\Trados Studio\12.0.0.0\

and the information is quite at the beginning of the file.
If you open the file in a text editor, you should see this block:

... See more
Heinrich

The coordinates of the Studio window are stored in the UserSettings.xml file, which is updated whenever you close Studio.
The file is in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL\Trados Studio\12.0.0.0\

The value for "Bounds" are the coordinates of the Studio window.
Check the values after closing Studio on your first monitor, then launch Studio again, move it to the second monitor, close it and compare the values. If they are unchanged, the something is wrong with your installation.

In that case, I would suggest to close Studio, delete this file (UserSettings.xml) and launch Studio again. This might solve the problem.

Walter
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not seem to help Nov 27, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Heinrich

The value for "Bounds" are the coordinates of the Studio window.
Check the values after closing Studio on your first monitor, then launch Studio again, move it to the second monitor, close it and compare the values. If they are unchanged, the something is wrong with your installation.

In that case, I would suggest to close Studio, delete this file (UserSettings.xml) and launch Studio again. This might solve the problem.

Walter

I tried but the result is the same. It really does not matter, because I keep Studio open for weeks at a time.

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It would be a good idea to close down Studio at least once a day Nov 27, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I tried but the result is the same. It really does not matter, because I keep Studio open for weeks at a time.

Heinrich

Are you saying that you do not shut down your Studio nor your Windows for a period of a whole week?
If yes, don't you get any problems doing this?
I would expect memory to start hogging up after such long time.

Walter

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problems on Win7 Nov 27, 2015

With older versions of Windows I kept programs running for about a week, but with 7 there has never been any problem with memory loss or anything else. My Windows installation is from 2011, I transferred it as such to SSD two years ago and there is no slow down ever.
But of course at leat my AVG Antivirus forces me to shut down for updates once every few weeks.

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio sometimes takes up RAM Nov 27, 2015

Heinrich

I was more concerned about Studio than about Windows itself because we have often faced situations where Studio would eventually take up to 2 GB of RAM after heavy work during a day. I used to recommend to users that they close down Studio at least once during the day (e.g. at lunch time) in order to clean up memory usage.

In the meantime, it seems that Studio 2015 has a much improved memory management, which reduced the appearance of such issues.

... See more
Heinrich

I was more concerned about Studio than about Windows itself because we have often faced situations where Studio would eventually take up to 2 GB of RAM after heavy work during a day. I used to recommend to users that they close down Studio at least once during the day (e.g. at lunch time) in order to clean up memory usage.

In the meantime, it seems that Studio 2015 has a much improved memory management, which reduced the appearance of such issues.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 opens only on main screen

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »