Claudia Fischer
Claudia Fischer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:35
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2015

I recently have installed Trados Studio 2015 on a new computer with Windows 8.1 and since then the shortcut to "Confirm and move to the next unconfirmed segment" which I think was Alt + Enter doesn't work any more. Now the shortcut seems to be Alt + Add but I have no Add key on my keyboard, or at least I can't find it.

Does anybody know if there is a way to change it back to Alt + Enter?

Thank you very much in advance.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:35
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
what about ctr + Down? Nov 26, 2015

I believe the shortcut you need, is CTR + Down arrow. At least I am not using Alt + Add

I suspect Add is the plus key on the numberical keyboard, but that would be a problem on the keyboard on a laptop (which I guess is what you are using?)

Don't know if this is any help at all.

Roy

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to customise shortcuts Nov 26, 2015

Go to File>Options>Keyboard Shortcuts>Editor and change the shortcut for "Confirm and move to the next unconfirmed segment"

The reason this changed for you is probably unrelated to Windows 8.1, but to the user profile you selected when you installed Studio. In the future, bear in mind you can export your user profile from one machine and import it to another.

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + Down moves without confirmation Nov 26, 2015

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, I have used Ctrl + Down and it moves to the next unconfirmed segment but "without" confirming the current segment.

And I have also tried Ctrl with the plus key on the numberical keyboard you mentioned, I am actually using a PC and not a laptop, but nothing happens with this key combination.

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Shortcuts Nov 26, 2015

Hi Claudia

From the View menu, choose the windows that you would like to appear in each view, as well as the color interface that is displayed. From the Tools menu, choose Options to define the colors used within the views as well as the preferred keyboard shortcuts.

For each window in SDL Trados Studio, use the drop-down menu in the top right-hand corner to define if the window will be docked or auto-hidden.From the View menu, choose the windows that you would like to
... See more
Hi Claudia

From the View menu, choose the windows that you would like to appear in each view, as well as the color interface that is displayed. From the Tools menu, choose Options to define the colors used within the views as well as the preferred keyboard shortcuts.

For each window in SDL Trados Studio, use the drop-down menu in the top right-hand corner to define if the window will be docked or auto-hidden.From the View menu, choose the windows that you would like to appear in each view, as well as the color interface that is displayed. From the Tools menu, choose Options to define the colors used within the views as well as the preferred keyboard shortcuts.

Please let me know if this helps.

Kr

Roman
Collapse

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, done! Nov 26, 2015

That was really easy. Done and working well.

Thank you very much Emma.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Have you tried CTR+Enter? Nov 26, 2015

You mentioned that you have used Alt+Enter to confirm the segment and move to the next unconformed one. When I enter CTR+Enter, I get the segment confirmed and at once move to the next unconfirmed segment. So I guess what is happening is as follows:
CTR+Down Arrow: Next unconfirmed segment without confirming the current one.
CTR+Enter: Confirming current segment and moving to next unconfirmed one.

Does this look right? (I ask, since I am still learning shortcuts and how
... See more
You mentioned that you have used Alt+Enter to confirm the segment and move to the next unconformed one. When I enter CTR+Enter, I get the segment confirmed and at once move to the next unconfirmed segment. So I guess what is happening is as follows:

Does this look right? (I ask, since I am still learning shortcuts and how to use Studio the best way.)

Roy
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Change segment status "Translated" Nov 26, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I do right click the segment and Change segment status "Translated." This never annoy me on change in short cut of Trados 2015.

Soonthon L.

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + Alt + Enter Nov 26, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Does this look right? (I ask, since I am still learning shortcuts and how to use Studio the best way.)

Roy

CTRL + Enter doesn't do anything in my Trados. I have been using Ctrl + Alt + Enter, this confirms the current segment and moves to the next segment, independently of the status of the next segment.

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcut working now Nov 26, 2015

sdl_roman wrote:

Please let me know if this helps.

Kr

Roman

Thank you Roman, yes, I managed to change the shortcut already and it is working fine now, thanks.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Seems inefficient to me Nov 26, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
I do right click the segment and Change segment status "Translated." This never annoy me on change in short cut of Trados 2015.
Soonthon L.

I find CTR+ALT+Enter much more efficient than right clicking the segment and choosing Translated from the meny. In general I find any movement of the mouse inefficient if there is a shortcut. Much more movement with your hands involved, I find, as I then have to move my hands from the keyboard.

Of course, I use CTR+ALT+Enter if I want to go to the next segment rather than the next unconfirmed segment, which most of the time is the case if I have done the actual translation in a different CAT tool than Studio and then want to check my translation in Studio before sending it off to the customer.

Roy

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Changing segment status to "Translated" Nov 26, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Soonthon L.

Note that changing segment status this way will not send that segment to your TM. It simply confirms the segment in the bilingual SDLXLIFF file.

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Nov 26, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I find CTR+ALT+Enter much more efficient than right clicking the segment and choosing Translated from the meny. In general I find any movement of the mouse inefficient if there is a shortcut. Much more movement with your hands involved, I find, as I then have to move my hands from the keyboard.

Roy

I completely agree!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You probably chose the wrong user profile Nov 26, 2015

Claudia

Even after having made this change, you may discover that there are other keyboard shortcuts that don't work as you expect them. If the one for "Confirm segment" was set to "ALT+ADD", this means that you probably selected the wrong user profile ("Trados" instead of "Default") when you launched Studio for the first time.

Check which user profile you use currently by going to "File - Setup - User profiles". If it is "Trados", change it to "Default". When y
... See more
Claudia

Even after having made this change, you may discover that there are other keyboard shortcuts that don't work as you expect them. If the one for "Confirm segment" was set to "ALT+ADD", this means that you probably selected the wrong user profile ("Trados" instead of "Default") when you launched Studio for the first time.

Check which user profile you use currently by going to "File - Setup - User profiles". If it is "Trados", change it to "Default". When you are asked whether you want to save the current settings, simply say "no". After having changed to the "Default" profile, you will see that all the keyboard shortcuts are back to standard "Studio" setting. The user profile "Trados" is meant for people who prefer to stick to the old keyboard shortcuts used in Trados Workbench, which require the use of the numeric pad to confirm a segment. Personally, I very much prefer the new Studio shortcuts.

Unfortunately, because there is no clear indication about what these user profiles mean, many users select the "Trados" profile when they launch Studio for the first time instead of the standard "Default", with the results you have now experienced.

Walter
Collapse

Claudia Fischer
Spain
Member (2015)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In fact, the user profile was Trados Nov 26, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Walter

Hi Walter,

Yes, actually you are right, my user profile was set as Trados.
I have changed it now following your instructions and everything seems to work fine.

As I am still a novice user of Trados, I cannot confirm if many shortcuts have changed, but the few I have learned by now work fine.

Thank you very much for this advice.

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment confirmation shortcut in Trados Studio 2015

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »