Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nov 26, 2015

Does SDL have a view on the merits of Universal Apps in Windows? SDL Studio is a large and complex application in itself and it exists as part of a range of SDL products with which it must cooperate and interact, so I assume that packaging it as a universal app would not be a trivial undertaking.

It does rather look as if Microsoft wants to shepherd
... See more
Does SDL have a view on the merits of Universal Apps in Windows? SDL Studio is a large and complex application in itself and it exists as part of a range of SDL products with which it must cooperate and interact, so I assume that packaging it as a universal app would not be a trivial undertaking.

It does rather look as if Microsoft wants to shepherd developers in that direction any way longer term, but whether it makes sense from a developer's perspective I do not know.

From a user perspective, I would love to be able to run a full implementation of Studio on my phone or tablet for when I'm travelling, with all my settings being picked up from to my Microsoft account. It would be great to be able avoid having to carry a laptop just to do a bit of work in response to a client request, that sort of thing.

Regards
Dan
Collapse

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Windows 10 universal apps Nov 26, 2015

Hi Dan,

From my personal perspective- the biggest roadblock here I think is the actual screen size of the device.
Although its quite easy to have the same Windows platform across multiple devices (big and small)
I fail to see how it would be technically possible to translate professionally on anything smaller than a decent sized note pad/laptop due to resolution/ribbon/source target and other essentials.

This is an interesting topic and I am interested in ho
... See more
Hi Dan,

From my personal perspective- the biggest roadblock here I think is the actual screen size of the device.
Although its quite easy to have the same Windows platform across multiple devices (big and small)
I fail to see how it would be technically possible to translate professionally on anything smaller than a decent sized note pad/laptop due to resolution/ribbon/source target and other essentials.

This is an interesting topic and I am interested in how other people views on this.

Kind regards,

SDL_Roman
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good point Nov 26, 2015

sdl_roman wrote:

Thank you for responding.

First, allow me to clarify my previous post: if I were planning to be working seriously for sustained periods of time I would certainly travel with my laptop.

However, even if I don't expect to be working, I would like the option to be able to do very limited amounts of work to handle unexected events. My W-series Thinkpad is powerful but heavy and the power brick is comically huge - the whole setup is far too cumbersome to be carrying "just in case".

The kind of scenario I envisage is similar to one that arose recently when I was in London, far from the office. A client emailed me while I was on the train with a query about a job I did for them in which we had used an SDL package. Although I had access to Dropbox there was no easy way to open and edit the data they sent me.

If I had been able to pull up Studio on a mobile device, I would have been able to resolve the issue in a few minutes. Even on a 7-8" tablet, limited editing in SDL would have been easy enough - in fact, in this case, even a 5" phone would have done. (Microsoft Office works remarkably well on tablets.)

Also bear in mind that with a Windows 10 device with Continuum and a standard HDMI cable (and maybe a little Bluetooth keyboard) you could plug into the TV in your hotel to do a bit of work on a large screen.

Regards
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio and Windows 10 universal apps

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »