Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 21:21
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 25, 2015

Hello experts,

I have Trados Freelance 7.0. I want to upgrade to Trados Studio 2015. I have been told by resellers in India that upgrade from Trados Freelance 7.0 to Trados Studio 2015 is not allowed and I'll to buy it again.

Before buying Trados Studio 2015, I want to know the following things:

1. Can I install the TF 2007 and TS 2015 on the same computer?

2. Does TS 2015 support Windows 7 (32 bits)?

3. Can the license of TS 20
... See more
Hello experts,

I have Trados Freelance 7.0. I want to upgrade to Trados Studio 2015. I have been told by resellers in India that upgrade from Trados Freelance 7.0 to Trados Studio 2015 is not allowed and I'll to buy it again.

Before buying Trados Studio 2015, I want to know the following things:

3. Can the license of TS 2015 also be used for using older versions, e.g. TF 2007?

4. If Trados releases a new version after TS 2015, will I have to buy it afresh or can I use the license of TS 2015 for using it?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2015-11-25 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:51
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Some answers Nov 25, 2015

I don't have all the answers, but at least I can give you some:

chopra_2002 wrote:

Since TF2007 could live side by side with earlier versions of TS, that should be no problem at all. They are two separate programs.

"2. Does TS 2015 support Windows 7 (32 bits)?"

I would be very surprised if it would not. You should be able to find the information on the SDL's site

"3. Can the license of TS 2015 also be used for using older versions, e.g. TF 2007?"

I am pretty certain that will not work, as you have to have a different license for TS 2015 than for earlier versions, including TS2014, so it won't be recognised.

"4. If Trados releases a new version after TS 2015, will I have to buy it afresh or can I use the license of TS 2015 for using it?"

Experience is that each new version of TS demands a new lisence, so you would have to pay for it. The exception would be if you had bought TS 2015 very shortly before the new version is released. Then you usually will be able to upgrade for free. But if the time between your purchase of TS2015 and a new version is longer, I would expect you to have to pay for the upgrade.

But please note that since you have TS2015, you will be able to buy a new version (upgrade) for a reduced price.

I hope the above answers your questions. Please note, though, that I am not connected to SDL in any way, except that I am a freelance user of their software.

Roy

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some more answers Nov 25, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:
I have Trados Freelance 7.0. I want to upgrade to Trados Studio 2015. I have been told by resellers in India that upgrade from Trados Freelance 7.0 to Trados Studio 2015 is not allowed, and I'll to buy it again.

Yes, to software sellers the term "upgrade" means that you uninstall the old version and replace it with the new version. The older the version that you upgrade from, the more expensive the upgrade price. At some stage, it is more economical to simply buy the full edition of the latest version.

The upside is that if you don't "upgrade", but buy a whole new license, then you can legally keep on using the old version alongside the new version. And for Trados 2007, believe it, it's worth keeping the old version on your computer.

Yes. I've done it, and it's not difficult.

Yes. It says so on their web site.

3. Can the license of TS 2015 also be used for using older versions, e.g. TF 2007?

No, but... I think your question is really whether you can still use your Trados 2007 license even after you bought and installed Trados 2015, and the answer is: yes. Your Trados 2007 license is separate from your Trados 2015 (i.e. you have two licenses, one for each product, and they both remain valid).

You can't use your license of Trados 2015 for Trados 2014, Trados 2011 or Trados 2009, though (but you wouldn't want to -- 2009, 2011 and 2014 are simply older versions of 2015).

4. If Trados releases a new version after TS 2015, will I have to buy it afresh or can I use the license of TS 2015 for using it?

No. If Trados releases a new version, e.g. Trados 2017, then you will have to pay an upgrade price to upgrade from Trados 2015 to Trados 2017 (if you want it), and I think you will have to uninstall Trados 2015. This will not affect your Trados 2007, though.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
You may be allowed to use TS2015 alongside the next version (TS2017) Nov 25, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

chopra_2002 wrote:

No. If Trados releases a new version, e.g. Trados 2017, then you will have to pay an upgrade price to upgrade from Trados 2015 to Trados 2017 (if you want it), and I think you will have to uninstall Trados 2015. This will not affect your Trados 2007, though.

This last part may not be correct, though. Currently you can have TS2014 and TS2015 side by side on the same machine, even if you have purchased and upgrade to TS2015. So you may not necessarily be forced to remove 2015 after you have installed 2017.

Often an upgrade of any program will overwrite the old version, by the way, so what will happen, depends on what SDL decides at that time.

Roy

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you for informative replies Nov 25, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

It is a costly thing. Trados and Wordfast both have advantages and disadvantages. Wordfast does not charge anything for its latest versions but its licence expires after three years. On the other hand, the licence of Trados is for indefinite period but it charges for updated versions.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
English to Arabic
Trados Studio 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Hi Chopra,

As SDL only a few months ago released Studio 2015- you can be quite safe in the knowledge there will be NO new releases for quite some time-
you will however receive the SP's free of charge.

When asked about upgrade costs I advise budgeting ca.70€ per year (less than 1.5€ per week) for future upgrades- (less than ONE cup of coffee a week)- therefore a very inexpensive way of keeping your software up to date.

Kr

Steve
... See more
Hi Chopra,

As SDL only a few months ago released Studio 2015- you can be quite safe in the knowledge there will be NO new releases for quite some time-
you will however receive the SP's free of charge.

When asked about upgrade costs I advise budgeting ca.70€ per year (less than 1.5€ per week) for future upgrades- (less than ONE cup of coffee a week)- therefore a very inexpensive way of keeping your software up to date.

Kr

Steve

[Edited at 2015-11-25 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Indian standars are not western standards Nov 25, 2015

@ Steve

In India there are people who have to break their backs to earn your "cup of coffee", so I do agree with Chopra's view that SDL is a costly investment.

About Windows 7 and TF 2007, in my case it works more or less, that is to say, I can't clean my files on a normal way. I have to use a Word macro for it (TW4clean all) and you can forget TagEditor in this respect. (same problem with Windows 8.1)

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Difference in standards Nov 26, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

@ Steve

In India there are people who have to break their backs to earn your "cup of coffee", so I do agree with Chopra's view that SDL is a costly investment.

You are right to a good extent and that is why Wordfast Pro gives 50% discount for developing countries - http://www.wordfast.com/pricing.html

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The 2 types mentioned are so different Nov 26, 2015

They can be considered as just 2 different species.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Finnish to French
Studio 2016? Nov 26, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

With Studio 2014 released in mid-2014 and Studio 2015 in mid-2015, are you saying we can safely expect no Studio 2016 will be released in mid-2016?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You *do* need to return your previous version license Nov 26, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
No. If Trados releases a new version, e.g. Trados 2017, then you will have to pay an upgrade price to upgrade from Trados 2015 to Trados 2017 (if you want it), and I think you will have to uninstall Trados 2015.

This last part may not be correct, though. Currently you can have TS2014 and TS2015 side by side on the same machine, even if you have purchased and upgrade to TS2015. So you may not necessarily be forced to remove 2015 after you have installed 2017.

Often an upgrade of any program will overwrite the old version, by the way, so what will happen, depends on what SDL decides at that time.

Roy

Hi Roy

Let me precise your statement about this. In order to activate your Studio 2015 license, you needed to return your Studio 2014 license, which means you cannot activate 2014 anymore. It is true that you can still use an already installed 2014 version as long as you don't uninstall it, but you can never move it to another computer or upgrade Windows. And this only applies to the Freelance version, for the Professional version you even need to return the 2014 license in order to activate the 2015 version, which means you can not anymore run two versions (e.g. 2014 and 2015) in parallel (unless you own two separate licenses).

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Roy

This is not true. All Studio installers so far have never automatically overwritten the previous version. All Studio versions install in separate folders and can exist alongside a previous version. You may have 4 versions of Studio installed on a PC (whether they are licensed is another question!).

Walter

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
A few corrections Nov 26, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:
Let me precise your statement about this. In order to activate your Studio 2015 license, you needed to return your Studio 2014 license, which means you cannot activate 2014 anymore. It is true that you can still use an already installed 2014 version as long as you don't uninstall it, but you can never move it to another computer or upgrade Windows.

No, but you still can use 2014 and 2015 on the same machine. And I was not asked to return TS2014 when I activated 2015, which was really my point.

Roy Oestensen wrote:

This is not true. All Studio installers so far have never automatically overwritten the previous version.

Sorry, I can see that my statement could be misunderstood. My comment here was generic (and upgrade of Windows overwrites the earlier versions), and not meant as a statement of what SDL does. But as SDL as a rule does not let a new version overwrite an old one, I understand the statement was a little on the side.

Sorry about that.
Roy

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
English to Arabic
Further Clarification Nov 26, 2015

Just for further clarification on pricing and releases-

@ Robert- @Chopra

We fully accept that living costs and/or remuneration in India (and elsewhere) are going to be very different to those here in Western Europe.
Therefore for instance- in India we offer the opportunity to purchase through an official reseller at pricing that of course reflects the local circums
... See more
Just for further clarification on pricing and releases-

@ Robert- @Chopra

We fully accept that living costs and/or remuneration in India (and elsewhere) are going to be very different to those here in Western Europe.
Therefore for instance- in India we offer the opportunity to purchase through an official reseller at pricing that of course reflects the local circumstances.

http://www.translationzone.com/community/partners/resellers.html?Location=South%20Asia&South%20Asia=India

Although I cannot quote the exact discounts for India- discounts will reflect local circumstances -and the local average cup of coffee price

@Dominique

We actually released Studio 2014 in Autumn 2013 and Studio 2015 has only just been released. With a historical releases cycle of 18-24 months, its going to be quite some time before we see another release.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some questions about Trados Freelance 7.0 and Trados Studio 2015

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »