SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:04
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2015

Hello,

Studio 2011 does not have a spell checker for US Spanish, does anyone know if the 2015 version has it?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:04
French to German
+ ...
Configure Studio to use MS Word spellchecker Nov 18, 2015

Sandra

Since version 2014, Studio can use the spellchecker of Office instead of its own Hunspell. This means that you will benefit from all languages supported by MS Word.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-18 07:30 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:04
English
Alternatively... Nov 18, 2015

SandraV wrote:

Studio 2011 does not have a spell checker for US Spanish, does anyone know if the 2015 version has it?

... create your own. Just copy the dictionary files most like the language you want to start with (from the location below) and rename them as follows:

es_US.aff
es_US.dic

Now copy them into this location and restart Studio:

c:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries\

Now you'll have Hunspell es-US spellchecking too. If you have access to proper Hunspell or opensource dictionaries for this language variant (I don't know if there even is one?) then you can also copy the content into the DIC file, but this may be a good start and you can build on it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
es-US not supported by MS Word Nov 19, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Sandra

Since version 2014, Studio can use the spellchecker of Office instead of its own Hunspell. This means that you will benefit from all languages supported by MS Word.

Walter

Hello Walter. Thank you for your reply. I have changed to the Word spellchecker in Studio, the problem is that ES-US is not supported by MS Word. It appears as installed but not enabled.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hunspell and a little hack Nov 20, 2015

Hi Sandra,

The solution for my team has been a little hack using Hunspell dictionaries which involves doing the following (word of caution: proceed at your own risk!):

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries and locate the .dic and .aff files for ES-MX, make a copy of both files somewhere else. From this same folder, copy the file called spellcheckmanager_config.xml. Make two copies of this file just in case, one for safekeepin
... See more
Hi Sandra,

The solution for my team has been a little hack using Hunspell dictionaries which involves doing the following (word of caution: proceed at your own risk!):

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries and locate the .dic and .aff files for ES-MX, make a copy of both files somewhere else. From this same folder, copy the file called spellcheckmanager_config.xml. Make two copies of this file just in case, one for safekeeping and one that will be modified and will replace the file in this location when you've made the necessary changes.

2. Go to the folder where you placed the copies and rename the files to es_US.dic and es_US.aff

3. In Notepad, open a copy of the xml file and, to keep things simple, locate and select the following:

es-MX
es_MX

and replace it with this:

es-MX
es_MX

es-US
es_US

PS: After posting this, I realize that given that some of this is HTML code, it's not showing properly in the forum. Please follow this link to download a TXT file where you will see what I intended to post: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw4pmrd24x52u1p/Add%20ES-US%20spellchecking%20to%20Studio.txt?dl=0

Note: As you can see, you actually only need to insert the part about es-US, but I think the select-and-replace operation is just a little trick to make sure things are inserted in the right place.

When done, save the file making sure the name is exactly as before.

3. Place all 3 files (the .dic, .aff and the modified .xml file) in C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries

And that's it! Provided you have Hunspell selected as your spellcheck provider, this works to activate spell-checking in ES-US. Of course this means that the ES-MX dictionary is used as a starting point, which has been fine with me!

Hope it works for you.

PS2 I only saw Paul's reply after I'd added mine, I'm afraid I'm not contributing much after his reply, and I wonder if maybe modifying the xml is overkill, maybe Studio simply recognizes the additional dic and aff files upon restart.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 03:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-20 03:13 GMT]
Collapse

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some questions about the changes Nov 22, 2015

Hello Paul and Nora:

Thank you for your help. I have some questions about this:

1. In my PC under “Trados Studio” there are 2 files: Studio 1 and Studio 2, there is no Studio 4. In which one of these should I implement the changes?

2. In what part of the HunspellDictionaries file should I copy and paste those files? Anywhere or in a specific place?

3. The file names in HunspellDictionaries file appear like this: es_ES.aff and es_ES, all
... See more
Hello Paul and Nora:

Thank you for your help. I have some questions about this:

1. In my PC under “Trados Studio” there are 2 files: Studio 1 and Studio 2, there is no Studio 4. In which one of these should I implement the changes?

2. In what part of the HunspellDictionaries file should I copy and paste those files? Anywhere or in a specific place?

3. The file names in HunspellDictionaries file appear like this: es_ES.aff and es_ES, all have the .aff extension but none has the .dic extension. Should I add “.dic” even if it is not originally included in any of them?

4. According to Nora’s instructions and others I have read in Proz forums I should look for and open with note pad a file named “spellcheckmanager_config.xml”, and then there I should copy four lines that contain the dictionary name, and then save the file making sure the name is exactly as before. Although I see that you did not mention that part, so is this necessary?

The last question would be if there is some risk in doing this? Is there a risk that my Studio will not run after implementing the changes? I am in doubt because Nora wrote “(word of caution: proceed at your own risk!)”

Thank you
Collapse

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word does not have es-US enabled Nov 22, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Sandra

Walter

Hello Walter,

Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried that, the problem is that my Word does not have es-US enabled. It is strange because it appears as "installed" but also as "not enabled". I called Microsoft for help and it turns out that I would need to buy a Microsoft language package. The problem is that they do not sell it for Word 2010 anymore.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some answers Nov 22, 2015

Hi Sandra,

To prevent any issues, simply back-up the relevant files so you can restore them later and go back to your original state in case it doesn't work.

My answers below:

Try Studio 2

2. In what part of the HunspellDictionaries file should I copy and paste those file
... See more
Hi Sandra,

To prevent any issues, simply back-up the relevant files so you can restore them later and go back to your original state in case it doesn't work.

My answers below:

Try Studio 2

You just paste the files into the folder, so it doesn't really matter where.

3. The file names in HunspellDictionaries file appear like this: es_ES.aff and es_ES, all have the .aff extension but none has the .dic extension. Should I add “.dic” even if it is not originally included in any of them?

I'm not sure about this, my folder includes both types of files, but I think adding the .dic files won't affect you in any way.

4. According to Nora’s instructions and others I have read in Proz forums I should look for and open with note pad a file named “spellcheckmanager_config.xml”, and then there I should copy four lines that contain the dictionary name, and then save the file making sure the name is exactly as before. Although I see that you did not mention that part, so is this necessary?

I would try it either way, first just paste the files in the folder and see if that's enough. If not, edit the xml file and then try again.
Collapse

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 24, 2015

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Sandra,

My answers below:

Try Studio 2

You just paste the files into the folder, so it doesn't really matter where.

I'm not sure about this, my folder includes both types of files, but I think adding the .dic files won't affect you in any way.

I would try it either way, first just paste the files in the folder and see if that's enough. If not, edit the xml file and then try again.

Hello Nora,

I just want to thank you for all your help. I finally was able to add the dictionary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell Checker for ES-US in Trados 2015?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »