Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:32
German to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2015

Is there still no filter for the new Office? I was just trying to import a DOCX file saved in Word 2016 and it wasn't recognised by Studio

I've got around the problem for now by "downgrading" the file to a DOC. But is there any other solution? Or is it just me having this problem?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:32
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Should be resolved with the next update Sep 30, 2015

This incompatibility should be resolved with the next update, which will probably be released early in October.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, activate the new Word file filter (Word 2007-2016), which is disabled by default. To do that: Options > File Types > Enable the Word 2007-2016 filter > From the right pane: Move it above the Word 2007-2013 filter (or better yet: move it up and disable the Word 2007-2013 filter).
This should allow you to import DOCX fil
... See more
This incompatibility should be resolved with the next update, which will probably be released early in October.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, activate the new Word file filter (Word 2007-2016), which is disabled by default. To do that: Options > File Types > Enable the Word 2007-2016 filter > From the right pane: Move it above the Word 2007-2013 filter (or better yet: move it up and disable the Word 2007-2013 filter).
This should allow you to import DOCX files created with Office 2016.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 02:42 GMT]
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File type Sep 30, 2015

I hadn't yet found the new "file type" in the list - I obviously didn't look very well.

That seems to have done the trick. With the new file type activated I was able to re-add the DOCX and set the file to "Translatable". I have yet to test whether this works with a new project, but I can't see many of my clients using Office 2016 for a while yet.

Thank you Shai!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You don't have to use this just for 2016 Sep 30, 2015

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

I have yet to test whether this works with a new project, but I can't see many of my clients using Office 2016 for a while yet.

Hi Nick,

This filetype is a precursor to all new filetypes for Office. You can use it for all flavours of DOCX and you might find it has some additional advantages in being able to get a target file even with some errors. Take a look at the options.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
Local time: 03:32
French to English
+ ...
What about Studio 2011? Oct 7, 2015

This precursor file type is not available in Studio 2011, are only newer versions of Studio getting proper support?

Karolina Kogut
Karolina Kogut
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Studio 2014? Oct 7, 2015

I don't see this option in Studio 2014. Please, don't tell me I need to buy Studio 2015! That would be totally unfair

[Edited at 2015-10-07 23:13 GMT]

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
English to Arabic
Office 2016 and Studio 2015 Oct 8, 2015

Hi-
Many of you may already be aware- SDL are no longer able to support Studio 2009 versions and support (including upgrades) will cease at the end of the year for 2011 versions.
It's advisable therefore to benefit from the lower upgrade pricing before the end of the year.

Microsoft have only just released Office 2016 -so it would be impossible to guarantee previous Studio versions compatibility with not yet released office versions.

However we will soon be
... See more
Hi-
Many of you may already be aware- SDL are no longer able to support Studio 2009 versions and support (including upgrades) will cease at the end of the year for 2011 versions.
It's advisable therefore to benefit from the lower upgrade pricing before the end of the year.

Microsoft have only just released Office 2016 -so it would be impossible to guarantee previous Studio versions compatibility with not yet released office versions.

However we will soon be releasing SP1 later this month, that covers this (2016) filter (and much more). SP1 is FREE for all Studio 2015 users.
If you have upgraded to the latest versions of Microsoft Office (and Windows) you should also upgrade to the latest version od Studio 2015 to maintain full compatibility and functionality.
The only way to guarantee compatibility with new Microsoft office versions/Operating systems is to upgrade Studio as well.

If I can be of further assistance- please let me know.

Kind regards

Steve

[Edited at 2015-10-08 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Karolina Kogut
Karolina Kogut
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Studio 2014 support Oct 8, 2015

I understand that Studio 2014 is still supported? If so, what about an update for this version?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Still supported... Oct 8, 2015

... but not enhanced. To support the new formats we have introduced new filters altogether that will not be back ported to Studio 2014. Following the release of Studio 2014 we did enhance it in addition to many updates, but once Studio 2015 was released the focus changes. We cannot keep working on older versions trying to make changes, that are often quite substantial, so that two versions all have the same features.

Regards
... See more
... but not enhanced. To support the new formats we have introduced new filters altogether that will not be back ported to Studio 2014. Following the release of Studio 2014 we did enhance it in addition to many updates, but once Studio 2015 was released the focus changes. We cannot keep working on older versions trying to make changes, that are often quite substantial, so that two versions all have the same features.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
However... Oct 8, 2015

However Paul, Studio 2014 didn't support Word 2013 preview before Studio 2015 was launched. Which means to me that you still owe to the users of Studio 2014 at least this update.

Karolina Kogut
Karolina Kogut
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Forcing customers to buy new version Oct 8, 2015

So, basically, you are forcing the customers to purchase a new version of Trados Studio. I understand.

Aravil (X)
Aravil (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
for me it is forcing too... Oct 8, 2015

I can say that it is a kind of forcing people to buy the newer version. I can understand people paying for Support, when they have access to the newer version. However, not everyone can support to upgrade every time. I think that this update should also be released for Trados Studio 2014. Moreover, I think that this is somehow slowing the progress. Many people would like to use Office 2016, but in fact they can't due to the incompatibility...

[Edited at 2015-10-08 14:01 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why is it ok... Oct 8, 2015

Aravil wrote:

I can say that it is a kind of forcing people to buy the newer version. I can understand people paying for Support, when they have access to the newer version. However, not everyone can support to upgrade every time. I think that this update should also be released for Trados Studio 2014. Moreover, I think that this is somehow slowing the progress. Many people would like to use Office 2016, but in fact they can't due to the incompatibility...

[Edited at 2015-10-08 14:01 GMT]

.. to move to Office 2016, which probably was not free, but it's not ok to move to Studio 2015? Why doesn't anyone think Microsoft should put the features they have in Office 2016 into Office 2013? Sometimes they can provide backwards compatibility, sometimes not. Sometimes we can too, but we don't have the resources or the userbase they do!!

Irrespective of any technical considerations (Studio 2015 is based on a newer version of .NET and also uses new libraries that are not available to Studio 2014 without essentially making it Studio 2015 anyway!) it makes no sense economically to try and do this even if it is technically possible.

I think if you don't want to upgrade the software that is critical for your business, then why would you upgrade the software that you use around it? Even if a new version of Office comes with a new PC you should be able to install an older version you own shouldn't you? What does Office 2016 actually bring to you? I only ask this question because in general I think the majority of users, myself included, only scratch the surface of the office products and I would even risk saying that the improvements year on year probably only benefit a few. I think the improvements in a CAT tool with each new release (not just ours) are far more substantial in real terms and given the level of expertise you guys have with these tools and the features that you know how to use, probably far more relevant too. Yet we see upgrades to Windows, upgrades to Office, and then posts asking how to handle the older CAT tools with these new ancillary products. I don't get it?

I also think that paying for a maintenance contract means the upgrades when they do cost money are a planned and known business cost every year. So there won't be any surprises.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, but I do struggle with this concept of not wanting to upgrade a primary business tool while being happy to upgrade the applications that we know have the potential to cause problems every time it happens. I'd upgrade the primary business tool first as this is usually going to continue to support older ancillary products (until they get too old) and I'd only upgrade Office and Windows once I was sure my primary busines tool would support it.

Regards

Paul

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
English to Arabic
Office 2016 and Studio 2015 Oct 8, 2015

Hi Carrie,

Sorry that you feel that we are making you upgrade.
The early adoption of Office 2016 is forcing the possible upgrade as this uses an enhanced filter not used in previous MS Office versions.

We publish in the FAQ's system requirements and update these on a
... See more
Hi Carrie,

Sorry that you feel that we are making you upgrade.
The early adoption of Office 2016 is forcing the possible upgrade as this uses an enhanced filter not used in previous MS Office versions.

We publish in the FAQ's system requirements and update these on a regular basis-
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/faqs.html

Once Studio 2015 Service release 1 has been released (later this month) - we will update the above FAQ's accordingly.

Microsoft Office 2007/2010/2013 continues to be supported and will do so for a while yet.

However Office 2003 (and earlier)along with XP and (soon) VISTA have been retired permanently from Microsoft support solutions.
Studio 2015 and VISTA (or earlier) is NOT compatible or supported.

If anyone has any questions or are unsure before upgrading their OS or Office version, I would always recommend checking the FAQ's or asking us first! - either here in this forum or direct via our Live Chat facility -bit.ly/SDLChat (copy and paste into your browser).

Kr
SDL_Steve

[Edited at 2015-10-08 17:16 GMT]
Collapse

Karolina Kogut
Karolina Kogut
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Office 2016 Oct 8, 2015

Office 2016 upgrade is free as part of Office 365 subscription and, as it is still docx format, nothing suggested something would go wrong. But now I can't go back to Office 2013 and need to upgrade to Studio 2015. I guess soon Microsoft will force this update for all Office 365 users, so it's not exactly optional, as you may think.

I'm sure noone here wants to insult anybody. After all, we are all trying to find the best solution.

[Edited at 2015-10-08 16:29 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2016 and Studio 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »