Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:35
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2015

Dear colleagues,

Over the years, I've created quite a large Multiterm termbase for the subject field of railway engineering. It contains quite a lot of terms that could as well fit into other subject fields, so I thought it might come handy to create separate termbases. One example I'm thinking of would be welding technology.

My question is: Seeing that my termbase does not contain any fields denominating sub-subjects, is there a viable way of (manually) flagging a subs
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Over the years, I've created quite a large Multiterm termbase for the subject field of railway engineering. It contains quite a lot of terms that could as well fit into other subject fields, so I thought it might come handy to create separate termbases. One example I'm thinking of would be welding technology.

My question is: Seeing that my termbase does not contain any fields denominating sub-subjects, is there a viable way of (manually) flagging a subset of the terms and exporting them to a separate termbase?

Thanks for any ideas,
kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Use of Excel macros Aug 29, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

My question is: Seeing that my termbase does not contain any fields denominating sub-subjects, is there a viable way of (manually) flagging a subset of the terms and exporting them to a separate termbase?

I usually export the termbase as an Excel file and categorize the terms based on newer filtering conditions. I have knowledge of the set theories and apply them to create new termbase freely.
Then I import the Excel worksheet of terms to make a new termbase.
For instance: Terms on transport --- into terms on cars, planes, ships, trains.

Soonthon L.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:35
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel Aug 30, 2015

Soonthon,

Thanks - the deviation through Excel looks like a good possibility.

Kind regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create separate termbase using a subset of another termbase

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »