Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Gobbling up new features versus gobbling up whole programs Aug 22, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
A pity. Wonder when they will gobble up memoQ, Wordfast and Across too.

They just gobbled up the feature, not a whole program. I doubt if SDL will want to gobble up memoQ, Wordfast, etc, because those programs don't offer anything new that Trados doesn't have yet. Lift is something that Trados didn't have, so they lifted it. Why develop something from scratch if you can buy it? Anyway, the method used by Lift isn't rocket science... it just requires a lot of development.

The important question is... what do we call this feature? We can't call it "lifting" (that's a trade name). Perhaps simply "target subsegment matching"? What does Trados call it?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wondering... Aug 22, 2015

Not quite sure how it works in Studio 2015.

Dominique, from what I can see in the video, this was implemented in Studio 2014, but I guess it was just experimental and not released to the public. In the video you can see a special window showing subsegment matches together with their translations. AFAIK, such window is unavailable in Studio 2015 (pity).

Samuel, you might be right - perhaps it's not a rocket science, but earlier nobody was able to produce a properly work
... See more

Dominique, from what I can see in the video, this was implemented in Studio 2014, but I guess it was just experimental and not released to the public. In the video you can see a special window showing subsegment matches together with their translations. AFAIK, such window is unavailable in Studio 2015 (pity).

Samuel, you might be right - perhaps it's not a rocket science, but earlier nobody was able to produce a properly working algorithm/method and now it seems to be possible.
One advantage of this is certainly the fact that now translations of subsegments can be fed via Autosuggest, because Studio "knows" which part of the segment it is supposed to suggest to you.
I suppose Deep Miner in Deja Vu does something similar, but I can only guess.

[Edited at 2015-08-22 10:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-22 10:34 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
As I said before... Aug 24, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

... it has been implemented as additional AutoSuggest options in 2015. The developer of Lift did this for Studio 2015. The implementation you see on the video was experimental and the plugin was developed this way so you could see the way it worked.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It's called... Aug 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
The important question is... what do we call this feature? We can't call it "lifting" (that's a trade name). Perhaps simply "target subsegment matching"? What does Trados call it?

... AutoSuggest in Studio.

These are all new options introduced in Studio 2015 and based on this technology.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Called Aug 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

But doesn't that imply that you already have to know the translation of the subsegment? At least the first letter(s) of it? And that it doesn't work if you don't?

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lift for Dummies. Aug 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

These are all new options introduced in Studio 2015 and based on this technology.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

If you ever have some time to spare, one of your great posts on your blog about this would be nice:

From Lift to AutoSuggest in three easy steps.
or
Lift for Dummies.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul :-) Aug 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

It's called AutoSuggest in Studio.

More precisely, it's not called anything, but is simply integrated into the autosuggest feature with a check box called "fuzzy translation memory matching".

Do you have a video that demonstrates this feature? In the original Lift video, the feature automatically finds and lists matches, but does not suggest them at the cursor.

[Edited at 2015-08-24 11:23 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Aug 24, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

SDL Community wrote:

But doesn't that imply that you already have to know the translation of the subsegment? At least the first letter(s) of it? And that it doesn't work if you don't?

Cheers,

Hans

My thoughts exactly. If there were a dedicated window similar to the one in the video, the translator would know which letters he should start with in order to trigger the Autosuggest. Without it it's a lot of guessing, isn't it?

Anyway, kudoz for implementing it.

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
A dedicated window would be useful Aug 24, 2015

... in order to validate how useful the match is and whether and how it is a 100% match or fuzzy match. The window could be implemented as a tab together with the windows for translation results, concordance search, messages etc.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Static or dynamic? Aug 24, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Roy mentioned that it sounds like the Deep Miner in Déjà Vu.
Michael

If so, will the function be dynamic (as in Deja Vu, where suggestions will be generated on the fly = within the same session) or static and needs to be activated/trained for each new run, like Autosuggest (SDL) or Muse (memoQ)?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's dynamic. Aug 24, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Roy mentioned that it sounds like the Deep Miner in Déjà Vu.
Michael

If so, will the function be dynamic (as in Deja Vu, where suggestions will be generated on the fly = within the same session) or static and needs to be activated/trained for each new run, like Autosuggest (SDL) or Muse (memoQ)?

Dynamic. You get the results on-the-fly - no need to retrain it.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe this article from Nora Diaz... Aug 25, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

Meta Arkadia wrote:

SDL Community wrote:

Cheers,

Hans

My thoughts exactly. If there were a dedicated window similar to the one in the video, the translator would know which letters he should start with in order to trigger the Autosuggest. Without it it's a lot of guessing, isn't it?

Anyway, kudoz for implementing it.

... will be helpful:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/studio-2015-autosuggest-gets-even-better.html

She created a nice little video on this too showing how she organises her interface and can use the concordance window to see some of the things you are referring to. So not a "Lift" window but I think it's worth trying it before you start redesigning it! The solution we use has been implemented by the Lift developer as he works for SDL too

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

kflanagansdl
kflanagansdl
United Kingdom
Lift - where we are with it Aug 26, 2015

I’m the creator of Lift, now working for SDL, and I’m adding a post here to clear up any confusion in this thread and explain where we are. Let me first thank those of you taking an interest in Lift. It’s functionality I wanted ever since I started using CAT tools as a freelancer in 2004, so I’m glad other translators like the sound of it. Some of the posts here discuss the features available in existing CAT tools, which vendors name in confusing ways. I’ve categorised and proposed a t... See more
I’m the creator of Lift, now working for SDL, and I’m adding a post here to clear up any confusion in this thread and explain where we are. Let me first thank those of you taking an interest in Lift. It’s functionality I wanted ever since I started using CAT tools as a freelancer in 2004, so I’m glad other translators like the sound of it. Some of the posts here discuss the features available in existing CAT tools, which vendors name in confusing ways. I’ve categorised and proposed a typology for them at http://www.jostrans.org/issue23/art_flanagan.php which you might find interesting.

@Roy Oestensen, you’re right to be sceptical about performance based on a demo video, but more extensive tests show Lift performing much better than DeepMiner. You can read more about those tests at http://www.kftrans.co.uk/lift/FillingInTheGaps.pdf . @Patrik Porter, you can use statistical MT as a kind of subsegment recall proxy, but 1. You need a big TM. 2. You have the problem of ‘data dilution’. 3. Proposals can be less accurate due to the way MT systems construct rather than recall 4. You lose context for the recalled fragment. I looked at these and other problems in detail in my PhD thesis.

@Dominique Pivard, it’s true that I developed a plug-in for Studio 2014, but that was a separate component that wasn’t made publicly available, and wasn’t part of Studio 2014 itself. @Michael Beijer, I can understand your concerns about technology acquisition, and I thought very carefully about the best thing to do with the technology. Since Studio 2009, Trados Studio has for me been the highest-quality CAT tool on the market by far. (I chose not to use earlier SDL products; I didn’t find them as good.) I’m sure that the way to get Lift to the most translators, with the best user-interface and performance, is to make it part of Trados Studio. This doesn’t have to be bad for competition; I hope other vendors will develop similar features and ‘raise the bar’ for everyone.

Studio 2015 contains some great new AutoSuggest functionality as mentioned in some of the posts here, but it doesn’t yet contain Lift technology. Although SDL acquired Lift before releasing Studio 2015, new features/technology don’t get hastily added in and rushed out. As well as working as a translator, I’ve worked as a software developer in several places and seen many others, and while nowhere is perfect, I’ve found software development here at SDL to be very, very professional and polished, from software architecture through to UX design – and so getting new technology right takes time. The Lift prototype shown working in Studio 2014 only supported 4 languages, and although the ‘engine’ is language-independent, we do need to bring together certain per-language resources so as to support a more professionally-useful range of languages, and we have to run a lot of performance tests to get the best resource combinations. Some new subsegment recall features will be available quite soon (specifically, what I call ‘TM-TDB’ recall in the paper at http://www.jostrans.org/issue23/art_flanagan.php), while more advanced Lift functionality will take longer, perhaps to be available in 2016.

I hope that clarifies where we’re at with Lift …

[Edited at 2015-08-26 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it's clear Aug 26, 2015

I'm very happy that Mr. Flanagan has replied in this forum to clear the doubts regarding the technology.
So, in fact, Lift hasn't yet been introduced, but I believe we all very much look forward to it.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Perhaps ... Aug 26, 2015

... somebody should tell ATRIL reading this post

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lift technology - is it on its way?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »