SDL Studio 2015 Import list of customers
Thread poster: Ben Senior
Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:57
German to English
Jul 4, 2015

I am setting up SDL Studio 2015 and have imported all of my project templates and now want to import the list of customers from Studio 2014, but cannot find a way of doing it. Does anybody have any idea how to do this as I don't want to sit there for ages typing them all in again?

Ben

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:57
English to Vietnamese
Projects.xml file Jul 4, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

I am setting up SDL Studio 2015 and have imported all of my project templates and now want to import the list of customers from Studio 2014, but cannot find a way of doing it. Does anybody have any idea how to do this as I don't want to sit there for ages typing them all in again?

Ben

Hi Ben,

This is my idea.

Have a look at this file: C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects\projects.xml and find the following elements:

Customer Guid="xxx" Name="xxx" Email="xxx" />

then copy all Customer... elements and paste them in the C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Studio 2015\Projects\projects.xml

LD

[Edited at 2015-07-04 15:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-04 15:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-04 15:56 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The idea from... Jul 4, 2015

... Linh Dan is a good one, but I wanted to ask one thing and suggest another.

Why do you take your customer lists over? Are they really any use? I have long been of the opinion they are a useless feature in Studio because you can't do anything with them. What do you do that makes them valuable? I'd love to know why it would be worth extending a small tool we created yesterday to help with migration so we also brought over the customer list.

On your templates. I'd
... See more

Why do you take your customer lists over? Are they really any use? I have long been of the opinion they are a useless feature in Studio because you can't do anything with them. What do you do that makes them valuable? I'd love to know why it would be worth extending a small tool we created yesterday to help with migration so we also brought over the customer list.

On your templates. I'd recommend you don't import old templates into Studio 2015. It is far better and less likely to cause problems if you recreate them instead so you have all the new filetypes and all the bug fixes.

This article might be useful: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/02/first-things-first/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately no Jul 4, 2015

Hi LD,

I tried what you suggested, saved the file and started Studio, unfortunately Studio crashed out before it finished opening with an error message referring to project set-up. Fortunately I had made a copy of the original file and could revert back to the original. Studio then started normally.

There must be an easier way of doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway LD.

Ben

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oooops... Jul 4, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

On your templates. I'd recommend you don't import old templates into Studio 2015. It is far better and less likely to cause problems if you recreate them instead so you have all the new filetypes and all the bug fixes.

This article might be useful: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/02/first-things-first/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

I get projects from my major client from quite a lot of people (its a huge company) and I keep track of the person in my projects. Its a doddle just to click on a name in the list rather than typing them in and I was just looking for a way to save a little time. I will give your tool a try.

I had already imported the templates from Studio 2014, but in light of what you say I will remove them and start from scratch, there are not that many. I will have a proper look at the Multifarious article tomorrow.

When installing 2015 I activated it at the beginning as it is Freelance Plus, but the set-up wizard still only offered me all of the language variants and none of the base languages. This time I wanted just to have the base languages English, German, French, etc not the variants. I even uninstalled Studio and did a new install but with the same results. How do I just get the base languages?

Regards
Ben

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Valid XML Jul 4, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

Hi LD,

I tried what you suggested, saved the file and started Studio, unfortunately Studio crashed out before it finished opening with an error message referring to project set-up. Fortunately I had made a copy of the original file and could revert back to the original. Studio then started normally.

There must be an easier way of doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway LD.

Ben

Because you've just installed trados 2015 so the Customers (with 's') element has no Customer (without 's') element so if you paste the list of customers items without correcting the Customers element the xml file will become invalid and Trados will crash. I suggest that you delete the whole Customers element in the Projects.xml file of Trados Studio 2015 and replace with the whole Customers element from Trados 2014.
'

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Illustration Jul 4, 2015

Sorry for the above confusion. This should be easier to follow.

Open your T2015 projects.xml file in a text editor and delete the following element.

Add the following tag pair:

Copy the list of customer items from T2014 a
... See more

Open your T2015 projects.xml file in a text editor and delete the following element.

Copy the list of customer items from T2014 and insert them between the tag pair.

Collapse

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck Jul 5, 2015

Linh Dan wrote:

Copy the list of customer items from T2014 and insert them between the tag pair.

Hi LD,

I actually did it precisely as you said here. But I have given it another go today with exactly the same result. Thanks for all of your effort, it is appreciated. I'm going to add them manually now.

Regards
Ben

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
I tried Jul 5, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

Linh Dan wrote:

Hi LD,

I actually did it precisely as you said here. But I have given it another go today with exactly the same result. Thanks for all of your effort, it is appreciated. I'm going to add them manually now.

Regards
Ben

I did try the above with the trial version of T2015. No problem so far.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An easier way... Jul 7, 2015

... now that you put the idea in my head. We released a migration tool that has been open sourced so any developer can extend it to include other things that might be interesting to migrate. Patrick Hartnett already added project based customers to this and Romulus Crisan extended it a little bit more to import all customers as an optional migration between versions.

The tool is free... might be useful for you, and if you're a developer maybe you can contribute to the code... See more
... now that you put the idea in my head. We released a migration tool that has been open sourced so any developer can extend it to include other things that might be interesting to migrate. Patrick Hartnett already added project based customers to this and Romulus Crisan extended it a little bit more to import all customers as an optional migration between versions.

The tool is free... might be useful for you, and if you're a developer maybe you can contribute to the code

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/06/walhfmf/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but how... Jul 8, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

The tool is free... might be useful for you, and if you're a developer maybe you can contribute to the code

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/07/06/walhfmf/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

I was interested to try out the app and downloaded it and installed it. But how do I use it? There is no information in the app store and having looked carefully through Studio I can find nowhere that I could start it, or is it a stand-alone?

Regards
Ben

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - my bad... Jul 8, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

I was interested to try out the app and downloaded it and installed it. But how do I use it? There is no information in the app store and having looked carefully through Studio I can find nowhere that I could start it, or is it a stand-alone?

... foolish of me to assume that people would look in the start menu after installation and see the app icon:

Even more foolish to assume the instructions in the screens would then be enough to walk you through it. We did the app really quickly after reading the posts in here so a user guide didn't even enter our heads... I'll do some instructions in due course!!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Updated article on the migration tool... Jul 8, 2015

... and you can find a video installation and user guide here : https://youtu.be/1dcVQZH37oA

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now yousee it, now you don't Jul 9, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Ben Senior wrote:

... foolish of me to assume that people would look in the start menu after installation and see the app icon:

Even more foolish to assume the instructions in the screens would then be enough to walk you through it. We did the app really quickly after reading the posts in here so a user guide didn't even enter our heads... I'll do some instructions in due course!!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I was expecting an add in not a stand alone so looking in the start menu never entered my head. It also dropped a short cut on my desktop. When I ran it It only offered the project migration. But I downloaded it again and then the customer migration was available and now I have all of my customers in 2015 There must have been an update after my initial download.

A couple of points though:
The short cut icon hardly shows up on a light background, an icon with a bit more contrast or better colours would be much better.
The utility only migrates customers from the projects marked for migration, which is OK if you want to migrate the projects, but if you only want to migrate the customers and keep the projects in the previous version you are stuck. On the screen where you have the choice of selecting if TMs should be updated and if the customers should be migrated an additional check box for migrating the projects would give full flexibility.
There are no dates or version numbers in the utility itself, so there is no way to see if the installed utility is the current one. In the App Store there is a version number.

All in all a great little utility and compliments to the developers for doing a good job.

You must get fed up with having to deal with "foolish" people

Regards
Ben

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A few points... Jul 9, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:
The short cut icon hardly shows up on a light background, an icon with a bit more contrast or better colours would be much better.

Noted... we'll work on this at some point. Maybe you could come up with a good design and we'll use it... if we like it. This is an opensource project after all!!

Ben Senior wrote:
The utility only migrates customers from the projects marked for migration, which is OK if you want to migrate the projects, but if you only want to migrate the customers and keep the projects in the previous version you are stuck. On the screen where you have the choice of selecting if TMs should be updated and if the customers should be migrated an additional check box for migrating the projects would give full flexibility.

Incorrect. The video I made included 10 customers I made up in 2014 that were not part of any project. The migration took all 10 across and added one that was part of a project I opened in 2014 and migrated to 2015.

Ben Senior wrote:
There are no dates or version numbers in the utility itself, so there is no way to see if the installed utility is the current one. In the App Store there is a version number.

Incorrect... look in the control panel and you'll see the version number. This is always the best place to see what's been installed. However, I noted that we need to update the app record as this is 1.2 and the installed version is 2.2. So thank you for spotting this.

Anyway... let's stick to the interesting bits and these would be what features you think we should add to this tool?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2015 Import list of customers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »