TTX file type definition not found
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
German to English
Jul 3, 2015

I'm using Studio 2011 SP2R to translate several large ttx files (created originally from XML, I suppose, but I don't have those files). The files opened without any problems, and saving them as SDLXLIFF files is unproblematic. But when trying "Save Target As..." I get the following message:
"Cannot find file type definition with id TTX 2.0 v 2.0.0.0".
I also got the same message when I ran the verification check with F8.

I've worked on numerous ttx files from the client
... See more
I'm using Studio 2011 SP2R to translate several large ttx files (created originally from XML, I suppose, but I don't have those files). The files opened without any problems, and saving them as SDLXLIFF files is unproblematic. But when trying "Save Target As..." I get the following message:

I've worked on numerous ttx files from the client in the past without any problems.

Can anyone suggest why this might occur?

Or ...
Is there a workaround, i.e. can I save the TM to TMX format, then retranslate the original TTX files on an old computer with TagEditor? (Would need a tip on how to save as TMX)

Or...
Is there a less cumbersome workaround?
Thanks
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:00
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Use TM Jul 5, 2015

Hi Kevin,

This is one of the reasons why I don't like Trados... This kind of bad surprises I get often after concluding a job without being able to export it to the final format (the meaning of all work).

I don't know exactly what is happening to you, but many times, when I cannot export a final file on Studio, the only solution is to start all over again from the original file and apply TM on it.

Other solution for you is updating TM with your translation,
... See more
Hi Kevin,

This is one of the reasons why I don't like Trados... This kind of bad surprises I get often after concluding a job without being able to export it to the final format (the meaning of all work).

I don't know exactly what is happening to you, but many times, when I cannot export a final file on Studio, the only solution is to start all over again from the original file and apply TM on it.

Other solution for you is updating TM with your translation, open TM trough Studio (trough its TM tab), exporting it to a tmx format, importing it to Trados 2007 Workbench and using it trough TagEditor (TTX format). But you will need the original source file to be able to export it anyway to a clean final file.

... After all this workaround, leave Trados (any version) behind and start to work with another CAT tool, such as Wordfast Pro, MemoQ or Memsource... This way you won't have this kind of problem anymore. Of course you'll have other sort of problems, but no one like this annoying one, typical when working with Trados.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ user Jul 5, 2015

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Other solution for you is updating TM with your translation, open TM trough Studio (trough its TM tab), exporting it to a tmx format, importing it to Trados 2007 Workbench and using it trough TagEditor (TTX format). But you will need the original source file to be able to export it anyway to a clean final file.

Hi Luiz,
Thank you for responding.
Without going into the details of these jobs, handling them in Studio is the simplest way to manage the process. Up to now they've been problem-free, so I haven't had to resort to using MemoQ, my tool of choice for most translation projects.

I tried a workaround like the one you suggested, but got no joy: for some reason Workbench rejected all 1200 TUs from the TMX file. MemoQ, however, readily accepted them, and I was able to re-edit the TTX files (the client only wants TTX), making only adjustments for tags.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:00
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Exchanging TMs Jul 5, 2015

So you could handle it. Great!

About the problem regarding to exchanging tmx files, sometimes I solve this using Olifant. It's freeware (http://okapi-olifant.software.informer.com/3.0/).

It can open/import/merge tm files. Then you can export tmx files choosing specific compatibility formats (workbench, sdlx etc.).

This software saved my life sometim
... See more
So you could handle it. Great!

About the problem regarding to exchanging tmx files, sometimes I solve this using Olifant. It's freeware (http://okapi-olifant.software.informer.com/3.0/).

It can open/import/merge tm files. Then you can export tmx files choosing specific compatibility formats (workbench, sdlx etc.).

This software saved my life sometimes when I had problems exchanging tm files between different cat tools.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
English
The reason for this problem... Jul 5, 2015

Kevin Fulton wrote:

... assuming you just mean you can't save the final XML target file and not the TTX (as you can't with any tool other than Trados) then it's because the TTX was created with a custom filetype that Studio is unaware of. You'd need the ini and the original source file to do this.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Can't save TTX Jul 5, 2015

Thanks for getting back to me on a Sunday, Paul.

I regularly receive files of this type from an agency, and I've not had problems in the past.

Although the files were originally in XML, the end client supplies TTX files (and ini) which I edit in Studio (as SDLXLIFF files), then save as TTX to return. When I opened the first file (and subsequent files in the project), I immediately got a message that the file type was not recognized. Rather than stop right then and there
... See more
Thanks for getting back to me on a Sunday, Paul.

I regularly receive files of this type from an agency, and I've not had problems in the past.

Although the files were originally in XML, the end client supplies TTX files (and ini) which I edit in Studio (as SDLXLIFF files), then save as TTX to return. When I opened the first file (and subsequent files in the project), I immediately got a message that the file type was not recognized. Rather than stop right then and there (it was on a Friday, so I knew I wouldn't get support from the agency or the end client), I proceeded, hoping to find a remedy.

When trying to find a workaround, I was dismayed to discover that Workbench wouldn't import the TMX file, rejecting all 1290 segments as "invalid". This may be due to ineptitude on my part when setting up the export parameters, but MemoQ swallowed the TMX file whole without as much as a pause or hiccough.

The files have been sent off, so I'm not going to fiddle with them any further. Do you have any suggestions regarding what to do when I get the same error message when I open one of these files in the fuiture? Although I have Trados 7 on an old laptop, I'd rather not have to work on it if I don't have to.
Thanks again, Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX file type definition not found

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »