Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Annette Hillesheim (X)
Annette Hillesheim (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
English to German
"save target only" and "finalize" do not work in SDL 2015 Oct 8, 2015

Hi!

I can not believe that this really basic function will not work - am I doing anything wrong?

I edited a simple Word document and wanted to save the monolingual file using "save file in target language" (I use the German Trados version therefore, this command may be different with an English user surface). But all I get is an unclean/bilingual Word file.

The batch tasks > Finalize leads to the same result: an unclean file.

Any ideas?
... See more
Hi!

I can not believe that this really basic function will not work - am I doing anything wrong?

I edited a simple Word document and wanted to save the monolingual file using "save file in target language" (I use the German Trados version therefore, this command may be different with an English user surface). But all I get is an unclean/bilingual Word file.

The batch tasks > Finalize leads to the same result: an unclean file.

Any ideas?

Annette
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
It happened to me with 2014 version Oct 8, 2015

Dear Annette,

You have probably received a bilingual file. It happened to me once under Studio 2014.

Try the following: in Word go to File>Options>Display. You may have Hidden Text checked. Unmark it and tell me if that reverts the file to a monolingual state.

If yes, you may run the Check for Issues function in Word (under File). You can then clean the hidden text.

[Modifié le 2015-10-08 11:27 GMT]

Annette Hillesheim (X)
English to German
I consider it a major bug in Trados, if this very basic function does not work Oct 8, 2015

Dear Ekatarina!

Thanks a lot!

Well, it is a good workaround to simply remove hidden text in Word. But my Trados has this problem not only with one bilingual file, but with several bilingual files from different sources.

Especially if you want to batch clean files it is very time consuming to open each individual file in Word and do search and replace.

But thanks again for your message, Ekatarina!

SDL Trados support people, any opi
... See more
Dear Ekatarina!

Thanks a lot!

Well, it is a good workaround to simply remove hidden text in Word. But my Trados has this problem not only with one bilingual file, but with several bilingual files from different sources.

Especially if you want to batch clean files it is very time consuming to open each individual file in Word and do search and replace.

But thanks again for your message, Ekatarina!

SDL Trados support people, any opinion on this?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Cleaning Bilingual DOC files... Oct 8, 2015

Annette Hillesheim wrote:

SDL Trados support people, any opinion on this?

... has never been a feature in Studio. The unclean file in Studio is the sdlxliff so when you clean it you end up with what you started with, the Bilingual DOC.

I know we handle TTX a little differently, but Bilingual DOC was always considered so old it wasn't even supported in Studio at all for a while.

However, we do have the OpenEchange and cleaning Bilingual DOC files can be done with the help of a little tool in there (or Workbench if you still have that?). It's called tw4winclean:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/tw4winclean-308.html#32012

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Annette Hillesheim (X)
English to German
Download is not available although I have a license Oct 8, 2015

Hi!

Thanks for your message.

The link you sent me is not available although I have a Trados Studio 2015 license which I bought via a proz group purchase.

The error message is: Learn why this download is not available
You have logged in successfully, but this app is not available for you to download because it is related to a license of SDL Trados Studio

Also, I am not talking about DOC, but DOCX. This is the format that my client wants t
... See more
Hi!

Thanks for your message.

The link you sent me is not available although I have a Trados Studio 2015 license which I bought via a proz group purchase.

You have logged in successfully, but this app is not available for you to download because it is related to a license of SDL Trados Studio

Also, I am not talking about DOC, but DOCX. This is the format that my client wants to see: clean .DOCX files.

Kind regards
Annette
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Strange Oct 8, 2015

If your client expects clean target, why don't they send you clean source? I don't quite get this workflow...

Studio (or any TM tool) will always spit out what it's been fed in.

Regards,
Stefan

Annette Hillesheim (X)
English to German
Off-topic, just to answer Stefan Oct 8, 2015

Hi Stefan!

I receive bilingual files for review, but the client wants clean files.

... any TM tool) will always spit out what it's been fed in.

This is actually not true, but I do not want to discuss other tools. Older Trados versions (with workbench) could handle this.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Well... Oct 8, 2015

Older Trados versions (with workbench) could handle this.

But only because these bilingual DOC files were the genuine working format of Workbench.
If you feed a bilingual XLIFF into Studio, you can produce a "clean" target.
What I'm trying to say is that any bilingual format must have a clean source it's been created from. If Tool A produces a bilingual file and you put this bilingual file in Tool B, then Tool B considers the bilingual as the "source", so the output will be bilingual, too.

If I were in your shoes, I would
- ask the client if he can do the clean-up on his end, or
- open the reviewed DOCX with Workbench and clean it up

Best regards,
Stefan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:10
English to Russian
Use Word Macros Oct 8, 2015

Hi Annette,

Even though I completely agree with Stefan (re: this behavior is normal for Trados – you get what you give, etc.), but I can suggest that you use a macro Trados_QuickCLean.
Hiding is hiding, it does not remove the hidden text. Even if you run 'Replace all' for hidden text, all tags will remain in place.
When you are done with translation, run Trados_QuickCLean. That's it.

*If you have very old Word (e.g. 2003), it may be called 't4win.quickcle
... See more
Hi Annette,

Even though I completely agree with Stefan (re: this behavior is normal for Trados – you get what you give, etc.), but I can suggest that you use a macro Trados_QuickCLean.
Hiding is hiding, it does not remove the hidden text. Even if you run 'Replace all' for hidden text, all tags will remain in place.
When you are done with translation, run Trados_QuickCLean. That's it.

*If you have very old Word (e.g. 2003), it may be called 't4win.quickclean' or something like that (I can't remember its exact name for that version).
**Ah, yes. tw4winclean. That is its name in older versions of MS Word
*** Sorry for stating that it is normal for _any_ CAT tool Not for any. Memory Queue can clean it without macros.
**********Can't stop being surprized at Trados ********** 3d-party tool can do what native tool cannot do

[Edited at 2015-10-08 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
My bad... Oct 8, 2015

The app was only marked as supported by 2009 and 2011 so this is why you received the message. I just added 2014 and 2015 to the list so this will synch up and become available to you in the next hours or so. Please try again later... sorry about that.

Also, I am not talking about DOC, but DOCX. This is the format that my client wants to see: clean .DOCX files.

This is clearly a file you have been given that did not come from the old Trados, so maybe it's a Wordfast file or something like that. The Studio filetype was really designed for Bilingual DOC as DOCX defaulted to TTX in the old days, not Bilingual DOC. However Studio will still handle that for you in terms of translating the Bilingual DOCX and giving you back the translated Bilingual DOCX.

Maybe the app will clean the DOCX too... haven't tested that. In fact Workbench won't clean the DOCX either, I think you'd have to save as DOC first. That may be an easy workaround for you if the content is simple and you don't lose DOCX features in the file during the conversion from DOCX to DOC and back again after cleaning it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why not Trados 2007? Oct 8, 2015

Excuse me, Paul, with all due respect, what makes you think it did not come from the old Trados?
Trados 2007 works fine with docx (MS Word 2007).
Workbench cannot clean it, true, but one can translate docx with Trados 2007 thus creating a bilingual docx.
I don't use it for years, but I asked my friend to test a short file. He still uses it.
All you need to make it work is just copy dotm file to Word Startup folder.

[Edited at 2015-10-08 22:52 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - you're right Oct 9, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

Excuse me, Paul, with all due respect, what makes you think it did not come from the old Trados?
Trados 2007 works fine with docx (MS Word 2007).
Workbench cannot clean it, true, but one can translate docx with Trados 2007 thus creating a bilingual docx.
I don't use it for years, but I asked my friend to test a short file. He still uses it.
All you need to make it work is just copy dotm file to Word Startup folder.

[Edited at 2015-10-08 22:52 GMT]

If there are people using Word to individually create Bilingual DOCX files so they can send them out for translation in a format that old Trados can't clean up then that's true. But my initial reaction is that it's more likely they don't.

Maybe you're right!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Respect Oct 9, 2015

I hope you understand I am here not to be right or prove things. Just too many questions for a non-economy-class product.
I respect your firm stand and titanic endeavor to defend SDL products. I think SDL is lucky to have you onboard.
Thank you for your help.

Annette Hillesheim (X)
English to German
Link on SDL site Oct 9, 2015

Thanks Stefan, Stepan and Paul!

Hi Paul,
I opened the link once more. In order to download the tool it I need to chose my software version. Unfortunately, all the options are hidden by a menue bar on the left side where you can "share" and click on a facebook icon, twitter icon and so forth. - Could you remove this bar so that the text beneath it is visible?

Thanks again!
Annette

[Bearbeitet am 2015-10-09 07:08 GMT] (I will always get confused
... See more
Thanks Stefan, Stepan and Paul!

Hi Paul,
I opened the link once more. In order to download the tool it I need to chose my software version. Unfortunately, all the options are hidden by a menue bar on the left side where you can "share" and click on a facebook icon, twitter icon and so forth. - Could you remove this bar so that the text beneath it is visible?

Thanks again!
Annette

[Bearbeitet am 2015-10-09 07:08 GMT] (I will always get confused about right and left)

[Bearbeitet am 2015-10-09 07:09 GMT]
Collapse

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
just zoom out Oct 9, 2015

Unfortunately, all the options are hidden by a menue bar on the right side where you can "share" and click on a facebook icon, twitter icon and so forth. - Could you remove this bar so that the text beneath it is displayed?

You just have to zoom out the page, just like on any other website with pop-ups etc.

[Edited at 2015-10-09 07:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »