Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Finnish to French
No real need to have two full versions (2014 & 2015) Jul 7, 2015

Anna Davies wrote:
To continue using an older version, you should consider purchasing a full license instead of
an upgrade.

Why? This is unnecessarily expensive. If you really need to continue using the older version, just install it on the PC you intend to use, activate it, then upgrade (actually, you can wait for one month before upgrading, since you're able to use 2015 in trial mode for 30 days).
Anna Davies wrote:
And this is how they get you!

I don't really see why they would "get you". So far the newer version has always been better than the previous one, so there is no real incentive to keep the old one. And you can still keep it on the one PC onto which it was activated before the upgrade.

The only reason I can think of (to keep the old version) is if you need to access a client's online server that runs on the old version. Otherwise just upgrade to 2015 and forget about 2014. It's not like 2014 is some invaluable gem you have to stick to at all price.

[Edited at 2015-07-07 10:15 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:08
English to Russian
Because such deactivation manner is unexpected and uncontrolled... Jul 7, 2015

Dominique,
Can you tell me the way to move all my projects from 2011 to 2015, so that I could complete the work for my clients before they terminate me?

Such behavior is unfair. When I paid money, nobody warned me of this. I am to decide if I need the older version. And if so, I must have been warned before paying the bill, but not after deactivating and removing my apps.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Just keep 2011 Jul 7, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:
Can you tell me the way to move all my projects from 2011 to 2015, so that I could complete the work for my clients before they terminate me?

You have 2011 up and running: just keep it that way for as long as you need it (why would you want to deactivate it if you need it?). Even if you have purchased 2015 as an upgrade (= replacement) to 2011, you can still keep 2011 after taking 2015 into use, so where's the problem? What you can't do is move 2011 to another computer. If you know you are going to switch to a new computer in a short while, just wait until that happens before starting to use 2015.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Another reason Jul 7, 2015

[quote]Dominique Pivard wrote:

I don't really see why they would "get you". So far the newer version has always been better than the previous one, so there is no real incentive to keep the old one. And you can still keep it on the one PC onto which it was activated before the upgrade.

The only reason I can think of (to keep the old version) is if you need to access a client's online server that runs on the old version. Otherwise just upgrade to 2015 and forget about 2014. It's not like 2014 is some invaluable gem you have to stick to at all price.

[Edited at 2015-07-07 10:15 GMT]

I would say, keep the older version till all the bugs and 'childdeseases' are solved/cured. Why do they always come with Service Packages? The best thing to do would be to wait till SP2 is out, so you know your version is working correctly. (by the way, I didn't wait, but still got 2014 running besides 2015, just in case).

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
German to English
+ ...
Order states: Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Jul 8, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi All,

Just a confirmation for everyone if you experience problems upgrading (and are 100% sure you have purchased the upgrade) but don't see the 'upgrades available' button.
Some users have been able to purchase the wrong upgrade-
i.e you were originally using a PLUS license, but then purchased a 'standard' freelance (or Vice Versa) upgrade- in which case the 2015 upgrade is not automatically released.
This is a very quick and easy fix - so please let me know and I will resolve this for you straight away.

KR
Steve

I too have purchased an upgrade (can retrieve my order fine) but have no "Upgrades Available" button.

If I click on Check for Upgrades, I'm taken to a purchasing screen.

I do need the Plus version as I run the software on two machines I know this is what I had, and I am pretty sure that I checked that this was what I was ordering - but the invoice doesn't state anything further than what I have written in my title here.

Steve can you help?

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
It seems my question doesn't deserve an answer Jul 8, 2015

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

Hey, hello, SDL Community,

I have two separate accounts, one of them containing a licence for Studio 2014 Starter, which I got for free at the Proz Conference in September, and one with Studio 2014 Freelance Plus, which I brought later. I now use the second one, Starter being installed on another computer.

Today, I was nicely surprised with a message in my mailbox, that I am being given, again for free, a Studio 2015 Starter licence valid for the remaining few months of my previous licence. I am curious and would gladly have a look at this new version, although for the time being I don't plan to purchase a Freelance licence. So my questions are:

- Do I have to deactivate the licence of Studio 2014 Starter from the other computer in order to be able to install 2015 on the one I use regularly? It seems to me that 2015 is independent from 2014 (a new licence, not an upgrade?)

- More importantly: can I install a 2015 Starter version alongside the 2014 Freelance, and will the latter be affected in any way if I then deinstall the 2015 Starter?

Thank you in advance.

Please, people from SDL, be kind, answer to my question.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Order states: Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Jul 8, 2015

Hi Francesca

All sorted- I have processed the release invoice- you will be able to upgrade at any time now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kr

Steve

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Like lightning! Jul 8, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Francesca

All sorted- I have processed the release invoice- you will be able to upgrade at any time now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kr

Steve

Thanks so much Steve - all there now! Very grateful

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
It seems my question doesn't deserve an answer Jul 8, 2015

Hi Ekaterina,

My apologies- your posting seems to have slipped through the net.

Your TWO accounts (maybe better if we can merge these?) and both accounts are showing you to be using 2014 still and not 2015.
You are indeed entitled to a free upgrade to 2015 of the Starter license for which you can process in your account.
However as the 2014 license was purchased back in February, you would need to purchase an upgrade for this version.
Both the Studio S
... See more
Hi Ekaterina,

My apologies- your posting seems to have slipped through the net.

Your TWO accounts (maybe better if we can merge these?) and both accounts are showing you to be using 2014 still and not 2015.
You are indeed entitled to a free upgrade to 2015 of the Starter license for which you can process in your account.
However as the 2014 license was purchased back in February, you would need to purchase an upgrade for this version.
Both the Studio Starter and Freelance versions are independent licenses and may NOT be installed on the same machine.
However you can keep 2014 Freelance installed on the same machine as 2015 Freelance (if you decide to upgrade) by simply NOT returning the license from the Studio software- BUT processing the upgrade in your account.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 8, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Both the Studio Starter and Freelance versions are independent licenses and may NOT be installed on the same machine.
However you can keep 2014 Freelance installed on the same machine as 2015 Freelance (if you decide to upgrade) by simply NOT returning the license from the Studio software- BUT processing the upgrade in your account.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Steve

Thank you Steve,

Please leave the accounts for the time being. After the Starter version expires in 3 months I will no longer use this account and will probably close it.

Thank you for your clarifications. I will then install the upgrade on the computer where it belongs. I only don't use that one so much.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Studio 2015 - my way Jul 8, 2015

Just for starters: could you please bring back the "black" color scheme, which is really a beautiful two-toned dark grey?

I really need this for ease on my eyes and for contrast between different sections in my lay-out and also with my other desktop windows.

The contrast in 2015 between white, light and "dark" grey is... barely noticeable.

Hope hope hope...

[Edited at 2015-07-08 14:56 GMT]

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
French to German
+ ...
With Lianne Jul 8, 2015

Please... The new color scheme is not so clearly visible.

Geneviève

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Getting rid of old colour schemes doesn't make sense Jul 8, 2015

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
Just for starters: could you please bring back the "black" color scheme, which is really a beautiful two-toned dark grey?

The experts in ergonomy at SDL know what's good for you, so you have to trust them

Seriously, this is basic human psychology: no matter how atrocious any given colour scheme may have been in the older version, some weirdo out there was bound to like it. So why not add the new schemes (White, Dark Gray, Light Gray) on top of the old ones (Blue, Black, Silver) rather than replacing them altogether? Especially with all the marketing hype emphasizing how customizable the new Studio is...

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My way with font sizes too Jul 8, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Seriously, this is basic human psychology: no matter how atrocious any given colour scheme may have been in the older version, some weirdo out there was bound to like it. So why not add the new schemes (White, Dark Gray, Light Gray) on top of the old ones (Blue, Black, Silver) rather than replacing them altogether? Especially with all the marketing hype emphasizing how customizable the new Studio is...

That's indeed what I said: "My way."

I also have an issue with the font size in the editor. It's perfect in Studio 2014: I use Segui UI size 12 min/max. The lower case i in 2014 is 2 mm. In 2015 with the same settings it is 1,8 mm.

https://db.tt/dAxKSbM0

https://db.tt/CiIhay9T

[Edited at 2015-07-08 22:05 GMT]

Corbett AM
Corbett AM  Identity Verified
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
Confused about licence - why a trial? Newbie speaking here Jul 8, 2015

As a complete newbie to buying Trados, (I had very basic training over 4 years ago as part of a Master's course when I also created an SDL account but that was it as I could never afford it) I finally decided to invest today after taking part in the virtual webinar on Studio 2015. It is quite a chunk out of my pocket as I don't yet make much money in translation but I thought it is now or never. The special one-day offer helped of course. 495 instead of 6 hundred and something. Of course th... See more
As a complete newbie to buying Trados, (I had very basic training over 4 years ago as part of a Master's course when I also created an SDL account but that was it as I could never afford it) I finally decided to invest today after taking part in the virtual webinar on Studio 2015. It is quite a chunk out of my pocket as I don't yet make much money in translation but I thought it is now or never. The special one-day offer helped of course. 495 instead of 6 hundred and something. Of course the VAT upped it another 100 or so quid but that is my own fault for not yet registering for VAT (because I don't make enough money yet but that's a whole other thread). The vat amount is ridiculous to me. However, I can make up the VAT in the next payment I am due from one of the agencies I work with.

I am in the middle of downloading but I see in the instructions that it says the licence is only a trial and then after 30 days I have to PAY for it?

It said nothing about that in the SDL website or anywhere else about the licence only being a trial.

Also, in the licences page of my sdl account (whicih I have had since my student days), there is nothing mentioned about a trial licence. It just says I have one available and there is a very long, I assume licence, number (with my order number underneath).

Can someone kindly put this newbie in the know about this. I really am shocked that I will have to fork out god knows how much for a licence in 30 days when I will still only be getting over the shock of paying for this licence-less first jump into Trados territory.

I hope I won't be laughed off the thread.

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 has arrived! Your Studio, your way.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »