Is there any reason not to upgrade from Studio 2014 to Studio 2015 now?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:41
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 27, 2015

If I upgrade now, I'm given a 100 USD discount (normally 275 USD, now only 175 USD).

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Probably Apr 27, 2015

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

If I upgrade now, I'm given a 100 USD discount (normally 275 USD, now only 175 USD).

Nobody knows, as nobody knows what Studio 2015 brings. Also, past experiences show that SDL is notorious for releasing new versions that are half-baked at best. It's usually a good idea to wait for the first or even second Service Pack before switching to a new version, as usually the initial releases are very buggy.

OTOH, if you can continue using 2014 after the upgrade (I don't know if you can) until the worst issues with 2015 have been ironed out) and if you plan to upgrade anyway, the early bird offer may be a good option.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-27 09:42 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
To answer the question specifically. Apr 27, 2015

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

No there isn't. It has not been released yet which means you will not be able to use it until you process the upgrade after release anyway. So if, for any reason at all, you decide you are not ready then it will sit in your account waiting for you to process it and you can continue using whatever version you use today.

What problems, imaginary or otherwise, come with the first release are irrelevant to this question. It's all economics!

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Apr 27, 2015

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-27 18:05 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does anyone know if... Apr 27, 2015

... Studio 2015 will still be compatible with Studio 2011?

I very rarely use any of my CAT tools (not required by most U.S.-based agencies) so it would not be very economical for me to upgrade if not absolutely necessary.

[Edited at 2015-04-27 14:13 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Group buy of Studio 2015 Apr 27, 2015

I just signed up for a group buy (upgrade) for Studio 2015. Here is the link if anyone else is interested (2 lots left, deadline on 1st May):

http://www.proz.com/tgb/959

Only 115 USD for upgrading from Studio 2014 (including Plus-version) compared to regular upgrade price 275 USD, other prices for other combinations like upgrade from Studio 2011 to Studio 2014.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Putting off updates is usually more expensive Apr 28, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
I very rarely use any of my CAT tools (not required by most U.S.-based agencies) so it would not be very economical for me to upgrade if not absolutely necessary.

[Edited at 2015-04-27 14:13 GMT]

It is often cheaper to take advantage of the first upgrade offer, especially if it is an early-bird because the longer you wait, the higher the upgrade price will be. And unless you decide not to use the SW anymore, you'll eventually have to upgrade one day (either because the SW is not supported anymore or because it even does not run anymore on the current OS) and then the upgrade price can get very high because you'll be jumping over several versions.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »