Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:52
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Some more bugs worth solving before... Apr 24, 2015

Since we seem to be encouraged to name bugs we'd like to see resolved before new shiny "enhance user experience" features are added, let me add a few that cost me a lot of time every day:

• Autosuggest omits tailing tabstops, forcing me to manually add each and every instance of those segments
  • Auto Substitute doesn't insert a non-breaking space before the Euro sign (as it does for (some) other units), forcing me to manua... See more
  • Since we seem to be encouraged to name bugs we'd like to see resolved before new shiny "enhance user experience" features are added, let me add a few that cost me a lot of time every day:

• Autosuggest omits tailing tabstops, forcing me to manually add each and every instance of those segments
  • Auto Substitute doesn't insert a non-breaking space before the Euro sign (as it does for (some) other units), forcing me to manually edit each instance
  • Auto Substitute doesn't follow the German date format (no non-breaking space is used), forcing me to manually edit each instance
  • Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
    Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 16:52
    Member (2002)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    If I choose not to upgrade right now... Apr 24, 2015

... how compatible is a job done in Trados Studio 2011 when opened with Trados Studio 2015? And can a Studio 2011 package still be created with Studio 2015?

[Edited at 2015-04-24 22:23 GMT]

Samuel Murray
    Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Hot air Apr 25, 2015

SDL_Dan wrote:
    We are excited to announce that the next version, SDL Trados Studio 2015, is on its way!

When I saw the announcement and that this thread is 3 pages long already, I had high expectations that this post and this thread would contain some concrete information about what Studio 2015 would offer, but... alas... apart from one marketing-hype type of sentence, there is little actual news here. The web page that the announcement links to doesn't say anything about actual features.

One can also download a PDF file about features, and fortunately that PDF does contain some hints about what's in store:

* Fast review - it's faster because certain manual steps have been removed.
    * Intelligent TM update - thanks to some kind of functionality that evaluates the quality of the translation, and only adds those to the TM.
    * Typo checker - some kind of advanced spell-checker functionality.
    * Improved suggestions - of the type that reduces keystrokes, hmm, interesting.
    * Looks like you can now use any TM, regardless of language combination.
    * Some kind of PDF converter (don't we have this already in 2014).
    * Something for special characters.
    * Something to "deal with" long documents.
    * MultiTerm is "easier" and "more intuitive".
    * Some kind of terminology sharing functionality.
    * A new GUI, again... but some things can be moved around by you.

I should have known that a long thread doesn't mean lots of information, but simply a long discussion about one issue that isn't even the main issue, namely whether the early bird offer is fair to old birds.

[Edited at 2015-04-25 08:26 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
    Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
    Taiwan
    Local time: 04:52
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Issues explained! Apr 27, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

These things already work depending on what your specific example is?

No Paul, the QA checks don't work past the spellcheck. The number recognition issue has been mentioned endless times and that's so. It was never fixed. I spent hours trying to tune those and it simply won't do what i want. The CAT generates tons of false positives and often doesn't recognize the italian localization (comma for decimals, dot for thousands). It also mistakes product codes for other numbers and if you translate a, say, clothing catalogue or a car spare part catalogue you see dozens of thousands of false positives.
    If you activate term verification (based on Multiterm glossaries) it constantly throws errors of 2 main types. 1) Example: you have the term "Oil filter" in Multiterm and then you translate a segment like "The filter has to be drained of all oil before reuse" the CAT will throw a terminology issue because the correct term to use is "Oil filter".
    2) Sometimes it looks for terms when the term doesn't exist at all in the segment. This is a recent issue-
    3) Suggestion: Another CAT has a smart function that when you decide to ignore one type of error during QA (example...capitalization issue limited to a single word) it asks you "Do you want to ignore all notifications for the same type of issue associated to this specific term" (that is what it does..the message is different). Studio throws tons of similar messages that are false positives. You can't ignore them all because one of them may hide a real issue..but the one associated to Capitalization of a specific word can be removed...that would make life quicker.

Which ones? It's unlikely there is any software on the planet that does not have random errors/bugs so asking a question like this is something no one could ever say yes to.

Parsing errors
    Interface errors
    MT errors
    The whole range of them that fill the SDL support section.
    All software throw errors...some are better implemented and crash less and offer a smoother experience.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
    What does that mean exactly? It's clear that the way Studio attempts to make life easier by basing it's recognition patterns on the operating system of your computer can lead to problems that you have to find a way to work around. If this is what you mean then the situation here doesn't change. But give some concrete examples and we can look at the best approach to handle them. Half the battle is often resolved by understanding how things work and knowing how best to tackle them before you start.

Explained above in QA section. Another issue is that if i have a list of numbers where i need to put a comma like in

I select comma for the first one and all the others insert a dot. Could be wrong setting hidden in one of the countless submenus but again i have been trying to stop this and it never stops.

Or
    English
    1mm
    2mm
    3mm
    4mm

Italian has to become
    1 mm
    2 mm
    3 mm
    4 mm

Studio behavior

1 mm
    (automatically changes all the others into)
    2mm
    3mm
    4mm

(then you change 2mm)
    2 mm
    (and you have

1mm
    2 mm
    3mm
    4mm
    In short, spaces as it wants.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that the OpenExchange is part of the product. Using integrated applications that enhance the use of the product does not make this what we all like to call a workaround. Studio is unique in this respect because it offers all users an extended capability at no additional cost. Nobody calls apps for your iphone a workaround. What's the difference? Studio has been built around a platform to deliberately support the growth of a facility like this. A Terminologist would never need something like this because they need the power of MultiTerm as it is. A translator looking for a quick glossary creator will love it.
    So if you were to use the Glossary Plugin today you can create a termbase for a new project in two clicks and it's automatically added to your project. The same plugin provides a lot more capability you can use from within the product.

Deleting terms is already part of Studio capability in the core product.

No i don't agree Paul. i need to be able to interact with terms from the Editor as i work. this saves me from having to even fire MT in another window. I agree not all may need that but you'll agree that having one extra window and too many extra clicks is a time stealer and we don't have time. Studio is not used by "Terminologists" only. It's used by a variety of translators whom, while not always need that level of depth (in the way you handle terms inside the platform), they do need the capability to add, edit, remove terms in a snap. Today if i need to remove a term while translating i need to A) enter Multiterm from the separated software, B) Look for the MT database i need, C) look for the term i need, D) delete it. Wouldn't it be simpler adding a "Delete" button right inside the Workbench editor interface so we can interact with that straight away Wysiwyg instead?

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
    What incompatibilities? I have not come across a single example yet that could not be explained by poor preparation of the files. But personally, still living off a format that is now 8-yrs old is getting a little old hat. We hardly ever see problems of this nature posted these days and it's because anyone still using these old formats should be well aware of how to process them for anyone using a more modern tool, and that doesn't just mean Studio.

You know incompatibilities exist. Often i have been forced to open 2007 files with an alternative CAT, re-prepare them for Studio then put them into Studio because Studio wouldn't open 2007 files. This happens pretty frequently and causes lost jobs.
    I AGREE...it's badly prepared files (you should see the segmentation.......a single segment composed by something like 50 words surrounded by tags of all sorts, one per line, scrolling all day to have it done; split sentences due to bad extraction etc.
    I AGREE these guys refuse to embrace modernity and still want to use dynosaurs that don't fit (Including the customers insisting that i use TagEditor when Studio allows me to finish days ahead)...Still the problem exists.

Forgot:

Capitalized letters with accents. Italian, French, Spanish etc. use capitalized letters with accents. Studio (as far as i know so forgive me if i am wrong) won't auto-capitalize initial letters after a full stop or at beginning of sentence. This is an issue by itself for normal letters..it is a double hassle when you have to add accents so it goes like.
    A) type the low case, B) select the low case C) Shift+F3.

So i am wondering,

Have these been addressed?

Regards

Enrico

[Edited at 2015-04-27 11:21 GMT]

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    Quite a lot of points... Apr 27, 2015

... and hard for me to comment in this way. So, I recorded a short video to go through your points and try to put things into perspective from my point of view:

https://youtu.be/m5NuqpY9xow

Also added a little surprise at the end

Regards

Paul<
    ... See more
    ... and hard for me to comment in this way. So, I recorded a short video to go through your points and try to put things into perspective from my point of view:

Regards

Paul
    SDL Community Support
    Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
    Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2015)
    German to English
    Thanks for that Paul Apr 27, 2015

That video was extremely illuminating. There were a number of issues there that I had also been struggling with. The video meant that I could keep going back to see exactly what it was you meant. It has helped me a lot. Thanks.

Enrico C - ECLC
    Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
    Taiwan
    Local time: 04:52
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Interesting! Apr 28, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Regards

Paul
    SDL Community Support

Thanks for taking the time Paul, deeply appreciated.

A few comments:

A) The delete term in MT has been added and was basically invisible (It wasn't there) in the way my UI is setup. Now i see it. You're right. I am wrong. My bad!
    B) Number codes. The issue you spotted is exactly that. Multiplied by the thousands. I don't agree on the fact that to have codes recognized people have to use regex. Not everyone is acquainted with it and due to the peculiar way it works it's error prone (However in your website there are countless sections on this and there is a software that helps....). However, there should be specific options to make that happen. It would be better to add a field where you specify the format of the code (like in SPECIFY CODE FORMAT(S): XXX-XXX-XXX). The user inserts that and the CAT knows that in target form they have to show like that (I'd also suggest an onscreen popup offering the user to amend number format on the go, without having to access those menus and submenus...reason why many users don't find what they need).
    Just a suggestion to allow everyone to use the functions that are already there but not all can use.
    C) Number settings. We're both right. I setup numbers globally and (hoped) they'd work like that all the time (since my language combination is one and English variant irrelevant). Now i see that's not the case. Are you telling me that i have to set that up by language variant (it makes sense) but also by single project? Can't i just set that option to always work like that, anytime, with any project as a global default?
    D) Multiterm recognition. No, that is not how it goes. For the purpose of this i had to go recheck all my projects and found several occurrences (will drop you a screenshot to you, too so you understand what i mean).

Example 1
    MULTITERM TERM
    ENG: STARTING POSITION
    ITA:POSIZIONE DI AVVIAMENTO

English segment
    Move the ignition switch (A) to the Start position.

Italian segment
    Portare il commutatore di accensione (A) in posizione "Start".

Error message generated
    Target segment does not contain the translated term for "starting position" - "posizione di avviamento" expected.

Now, you'll see that STARTING POSITION and START POSITION are two different things. Yet it insists in considering it as a mistake.

Example 2
    MULTITERM TERM
    ENG: PROTECTIVE CAPS
    ITA: CAPPUCCI DI PROTEZIONE

English segment
    Heavy duty, non-slip protective boots (with toecaps) or non-slip work shoes (with toecaps):
    Italian segment
    Stivali protettivi antiscivolo per lavori pesanti (con protezione delle punte) o scarpe da lavoro antiscivolo (con protezione delle punte)

Error message generated
    "protective caps" - "cappucci di protezione" expected.

Note....the term "Protective caps is nowhere to be seen in the source.

This happens with Terminology verifier so set:

Check for possible non usage of target terms ON
    Ignore locked ON
    Check for possible forbidden terms (i use it to avoid using false friends as it helps when the brain is tired and doesn't focus well)

Another one without multiterm
    English 40[TAG]o[TAG]C.
    Italian 40[TAG]o[TAG]C.

Error
    Number modified/unlocalised.

Question: What localization would it expect here? What is the CAT logic to generate this?

In other cases (more sporadically) the term it's looking for in the source is non-existent altogether. To be more precise, if in the examples above you see that part of the term exists or both words that compose the term exist, although in different positions/order in the segment, in some cases none of these existed. Still, it insists in looking for things.

On the other hand, often concordance and Term recognition don't "see" things that are both in TM and/or the MT glossary.

These observations only relate to the video. The other issues i mentioned in previous post still stand. Will drop you a mail with some screenshots, unless Proz supports direct linking from local computers, which would make my life much better.

But really thanks for the video. I really appreciate you got into it and at least 2 of the issues are sorted.

Enrico

PS: Paul i have sent the email with the screenshots. I'd be glad if you could have a look and tell me what you think!

[Edited at 2015-04-28 09:34 GMT]

Dmitry Pakidov
    Dmitry Pakidov
    Russian Federation
    Local time: 23:52
    Term recognition bug Apr 29, 2015

Paul,

Any chance you could comment on whether the term recognition bug past the 250-ish character into a segment has been fixed in Studio 2015? If so, are owners of older Studio versions users entitled to a cumulative update addressing this bug?

Eileen Cartoon
    Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
    Italian to English
    Paul, a quick question Apr 29, 2015

Some of the things you indicated in the video I was unaware of and I thank you for such a clear explanation. However, when I tried one (Terminology checker) I found it greyed out and couldn't find a way to get in. I must say though that I tried on a file I had open and had received as a package. It comes with the TM attached but not the termbase, which I add to the project settings after the package was prepared, sent and then opened by me. Does this affect the process?

Thanks for a
    ... See more
    Some of the things you indicated in the video I was unaware of and I thank you for such a clear explanation. However, when I tried one (Terminology checker) I found it greyed out and couldn't find a way to get in. I must say though that I tried on a file I had open and had received as a package. It comes with the TM attached but not the termbase, which I add to the project settings after the package was prepared, sent and then opened by me. Does this affect the process?

Thanks for all your patience
    Eileen
    Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
    Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
    Member (2006)
    Spanish to Dutch
    + ...
    SDL is the best! Apr 29, 2015

At least that is what I think, working with the program since 2007 + all new versions/upgrades till 2014 + great feedback + great personal help, SDL, thank you again!

But ....I asked some honest questions on this forum to SDL_Dan, and to SDL_Steve (personally, as adviced by SDL_Dan), but I never got an answer.

I understand that everybody is interested in the new features, as am I. I am reading all the threads with much interest, but why don't I get an answer on an actu
    ... See more
    At least that is what I think, working with the program since 2007 + all new versions/upgrades till 2014 + great feedback + great personal help, SDL, thank you again!

But ....I asked some honest questions on this forum to SDL_Dan, and to SDL_Steve (personally, as adviced by SDL_Dan), but I never got an answer.

I understand that everybody is interested in the new features, as am I. I am reading all the threads with much interest, but why don't I get an answer on an actually a simple question? I consider this as 'impolite' (marketing strategy?).

No doubt that 2015 is a great upgrade, but why don't I get a straight response of a company which is selling itself as 'the best of the world'? (sorry for bringing it up again, not only on my behalf, but hopefully for more colleagues).

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 21:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 22:37 GMT]
    Collapse

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    Probably they don't know. Apr 29, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

No doubt that 2015 is a great upgrade, but why don't I get a straight response of a company which is selling itself as 'the best of the world'? (sorry for bringing it up again, not only on my behalf, but hopefully for more colleagues).

The release of Studio 2015 is not going to be in the next week or two... I don't know the actual release date but we are still in the private Beta stage and there are new features and fixes being added with each build.

The marketing build up is just that... a marketing build up. Specific answers to the many detailed questions are hard for the team to answer because they are not close enough to the detail. Irrespective of this, it doesn't actually make any difference whether they respond or not... does it? Right now there is a good upgrade deal on which in my opinion makes sense to take advantage of so even if you don't use it until there are updates to the new build. At least you'll have it for a sensible price. At least this is how I would view it.

I know there are many great new features and many more fixes... but I also don't know the full extent until we have released the final Beta build and have a definitive list of what was possible.

We'll try and come back to your questions when we're nearer the release date.

Regards

Paul
    SDL Community Support

Robert Rietvelt
    Member (2006)
    Spanish to Dutch
    + ...
    Answer Apr 29, 2015

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. You helped me a lot in the past (in a unique way (I may say) in comparison with any helpdesk of a CAT-tool), so I do appreciate that a lot, but although I understand your situation, I am stll waiting for an anwer on my question(s).

About the 'good upgrade deal' your talking about, please see my maths (also in this forum), that is exactly my problem (and the whole reason of my contribution).

Lets see how it is evolving. I
    ... See more
    Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. You helped me a lot in the past (in a unique way (I may say) in comparison with any helpdesk of a CAT-tool), so I do appreciate that a lot, but although I understand your situation, I am stll waiting for an anwer on my question(s).

About the 'good upgrade deal' your talking about, please see my maths (also in this forum), that is exactly my problem (and the whole reason of my contribution).

Lets see how it is evolving. I am curious! But if you could enlight me in mean time, please do, not only for me, but also for many of my colleagues.

Rob
    Collapse

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    I'll try... Apr 30, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I'm not a help-desk... probably why you think it's different!! I just answer questions when I have time. We have an SDL Community where we'd probably be more diligent in trying to answer everything, but ProZ is a public forum with no guaranteed SDL response for anything. The whole idea here is you seek help from your peers.

Robert Rietvelt wrote in a couple of places:

I upgraded my freelance version 2011 to 2014 at March 12 this year (a bit more then a month ago), and had to pay 171€. So, if I want to upgrade again it would mean 145 + 171= 316€

Not a 100€ saving, but a 71€ extra

I'm not familiar with pricing, but what I do know is that if you speak to SDL_Steve via his Chat desk then I'm sure he'll be able to clarify all. For me, I think it's difficult to provide a solution that satisfies everyone. I should think if you'd upgraded to 2014 when it was first released and then did it again to 2015 now then you'd have lower figures because you'd have taken advantage of the best times to upgrade.

There has to be a cut-off at some point. If we said ok, let's give everyone who upgrades to 2014 from March a free upgrade to 2015 then we'll have emails from users who did this in February etc... Sometimes the best approach is to do the things that have been suggested... contact the sales teams offline. I'll drop Steve an email in case he missed anything you already tried.

Regards

Paul
    SDL Community Support

Roy Oestensen
    Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
    Denmark
    Member (2010)
    English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
    + ...
    Your math is off ... Apr 30, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

It seems to me that you are comparing apples with oranges, which doesn't work well. For those who already have 2014, the savings are EUR 100.00. As someone else already pointed out, in your situation you have to compare the total upgrade from 2011 to 2015 with what a normal upgrade from 2011 to 2015 will be, which of course will be a totally different price.

It is unreasonable for you to compare the upgrade price from 2011 with the upgrade price from 2014.

Robert Rietvelt
    Member (2006)
    Spanish to Dutch
    + ...
    Not really Apr 30, 2015

@Roy

If I would upgrade 2011 to 2014 now, I get 2015 for free once it is released (see website SDL).

The maths are correct.

[Edited at 2015-04-30 07:58 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 is coming…Your Studio, your way!

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »