Font size in lists
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:09
Mar 30, 2015

I'm currently running Studio 2014 in VMware fusion.

Is there a way to increase the line space in the project list and perhaps also set a bigger font?

Thanks!

Hans

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You're not the only one to want this Mar 30, 2015

2nl wrote:
Is there a way to increase the line space in the project list and perhaps also set a bigger font?

I don't know how to do this but I would like it to be possible.

Some of the fonts in Studio 2014 are stupidly small, the comment dialog boxes being another good example. I would like SDL to pay more attention to ergonomics. Being able to change the size of the font in the editor is a good start, but it's only a start.

Dan

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Finnish to French
Resolution and size of display? Mar 30, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:
Some of the fonts in Studio 2014 are stupidly small, the comment dialog boxes being another good example.

What is the resolution and physical size of your display? I believe Hans is using a 27" "Retina" display (5120 x 2880 pixels).
I'm interested in this issue as I have a new laptop with a 14" 2560x1440 display on its way.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nothing exotic Mar 30, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
What is the resolution and physical size of your display? I believe Hans is using a 27" "Retina" display (5120 x 2880 pixels).

Nothing exotic - two 24" monitors each at 1920 x 1200, but I dislike straining to see small text. Also I am planning to get a 40" 4K monitor within the next 12 months and I want to be able to adjust the fonts.

Dan

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Mar 30, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I'm interested in this issue as I have a new laptop with a 14" 2560x1440 display on its way.

I just looked it up for you:

I have Studio in Win 8.1 at 2552x1484, fonts increased to 200%, 13". Studio (and memoQ) look good. Except for this projects list and the language selectors.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I don't think it is possible Mar 30, 2015

Windows is notoriously bad at DPI scaling. Things have improved over the years, but not enough.
Unfortunately, at this stage there is no way to edit these display settings in Studio, they are pretty much controlled by the screen resolution and DPI scaling value in the OS.

Is 2552x1484 the native resolution of your screen?

Edit: I haven't had the chance to test it, but when thinking about this problem just now, I had an idea that perhaps is worth testing. In Window
... See more
Windows is notoriously bad at DPI scaling. Things have improved over the years, but not enough.
Unfortunately, at this stage there is no way to edit these display settings in Studio, they are pretty much controlled by the screen resolution and DPI scaling value in the OS.

Edit: I haven't had the chance to test it, but when thinking about this problem just now, I had an idea that perhaps is worth testing. In Windows 8.1 there is a new setting to control only the font size of specific item (it is don’t through the Display settings in the Control Panel). Maybe choosing one of the item there will affect the font size in Studio. However, this is a global setting, so it might not be desirable due to its affect on other programs.

[Edited at 2015-03-30 13:57 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
@Shai Mar 30, 2015

Shai Navé wrote:

No it's the resolution of Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop.

Edit: I haven't had the chance to test it, but when thinking about this problem just now, I had an idea that perhaps is worth testing. In Windows 8.1 there is a new setting to control only the font size of specific item (it is don’t through the Display settings in the Control Panel).

I've tested that before. But I didn't succeed in finding a scaling that solved the list problem.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Ask on SDL Community Mar 30, 2015

I see. Does it at least keep the same aspect ratio (16:9, 16:10, etc.) of the native resolution?

I think you should also post this on SDL Community Support (which should become the go to community for everything SDL related - they monitor it closely). This has been reported in the past multiple times, but any additional report can only contribute to the effort.
... See more
I see. Does it at least keep the same aspect ratio (16:9, 16:10, etc.) of the native resolution?

I think you should also post this on SDL Community Support (which should become the go to community for everything SDL related - they monitor it closely). This has been reported in the past multiple times, but any additional report can only contribute to the effort.

It is time for both Windows and Studio to scale properly. High resolution and high pixel density screens are already the norm.

[Edited at 2015-03-30 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font size in lists

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »