Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2015

I am a newbie to Trados, just downloaded a trial version of Studio 2014.
Multiterm seems not to be installed, and I can find no information on how to import my voluminous glossaries, which are in tab-delimited .TXT format, to Studio.
Is Multiterm something you have to buy separately?
Without it, is Studio 2014 lacking in any glossary function?? That seems impossible, but...

thanks,
Susan

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The answer to my question is... Mar 18, 2015

Indeed, the trial version of Studio can't deal with glossaries, according to the salesman. (So much for the "fully functional trial version.") But if you buy the product, then you get Multiterm, which is how this stuff is handled.
Maybe this answer will be of use to some other poor soul who tries to find an answer to a simple question on SDL Trados's Rube-Goldberg-like "documentation system."

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:49
English to Russian
Using MultiTerm glossaries in SDL Trados Studio in the absence of MultiTerm Mar 21, 2015

Hi Susan,

You may use Glossary Converter, a stand-alone application developed by Gerhard Kordmann and freely available at http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconverter-476.html (you will need to obtain an SDL ID by creating an account first, if you don't have one already).

Regards,
Vladimir

[Edited
... See more
Hi Susan,

You may use Glossary Converter, a stand-alone application developed by Gerhard Kordmann and freely available at http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconverter-476.html (you will need to obtain an SDL ID by creating an account first, if you don't have one already).

Regards,
Vladimir

[Edited at 2015-03-21 06:32 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Converter Mar 21, 2015

Thanks, Vladimir. That's good to know. (I have a license now.)

Susan

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Converter Mar 26, 2015

Glossary Converter is only converting the first two columns of my tab-delimited text glossaries: the target and source terms; it is not showing the third column, which is "comments."

Also, while it works for DE-EN, it is not working properly for RU-EN: the terms that are in the glossary (red-lined in the segment) do not show up in the Termbase window unless I specifically search for them.

Finally, Glossary Converter does not seem to go directly from .TXT or .UTF8 to the
... See more
Glossary Converter is only converting the first two columns of my tab-delimited text glossaries: the target and source terms; it is not showing the third column, which is "comments."

Also, while it works for DE-EN, it is not working properly for RU-EN: the terms that are in the glossary (red-lined in the segment) do not show up in the Termbase window unless I specifically search for them.

Finally, Glossary Converter does not seem to go directly from .TXT or .UTF8 to the SDL format. First I have to save it in LibreOffice .CALC, then save that as .XLSX, and then go from Excel to SDL format. I haven't found a way to avoid this.

Any suggestions?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
English
Check the option... Mar 26, 2015

... to always show the field values before converting. If you don't then it will automatically convert based on whatever it recognises... most likely the languages.

Also, if the TXT is a tab delimited file then it should work without a problem. If it doesn't then the most likely explanation is that the file is not formatted as you think it is.

Regards

Paul<
... See more
... to always show the field values before converting. If you don't then it will automatically convert based on whatever it recognises... most likely the languages.

Also, if the TXT is a tab delimited file then it should work without a problem. If it doesn't then the most likely explanation is that the file is not formatted as you think it is.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't do it Mar 29, 2015

I am still getting no hits unless I specifically enter my source term in the Termbase Search box in Studio, and I am not getting the "Comments" column at all, which I think I have properly identified as a Field.

SDL Community wrote:

Check the option to always show the field values before converting.

How do I do that? I can't find anything like that in the Glossary Converter "help."

It looks like a tab delimited file, acts like a tab delimited file in OmegaT ... how would I know if it is not? Or what else could the problem be?

Thanks,
Susan

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Send me a sample... Mar 30, 2015

... of your file.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some problems solved... for the record Mar 31, 2015

Paul kindly helped me offline. For the record, for future newbies:

1. There is no need to convert .TXT to .XLS(X) - the fact that the Glossary Converter tile says "in: xls(x), csv, sdltb" does not mean that those are the ONLY file formats accepted, although it implies so. Tab-delimited TXT works fine.
2. My SDL termbase, made from this file opens, properly in Multiterm, showing the third (Comments) column once I had defined what it is (Index level, Text content). I had actuall
... See more
Paul kindly helped me offline. For the record, for future newbies:

1. There is no need to convert .TXT to .XLS(X) - the fact that the Glossary Converter tile says "in: xls(x), csv, sdltb" does not mean that those are the ONLY file formats accepted, although it implies so. Tab-delimited TXT works fine.
2. My SDL termbase, made from this file opens, properly in Multiterm, showing the third (Comments) column once I had defined what it is (Index level, Text content). I had actually done that, and checked "Always show field definition dialog" in GC under User Interface. But I only tried to use it in Studio, didn't open it in Multiterm.
3. In Studio, for some reason my screen did not show a window for Termbase Recognition, only for Termbase Search. I didn't realize these were two different things. That's why my terms did not pop up, even when they were red-lined in the source text column of the editor. When I reset the windows and selected Termbase Recognition, the terms popped up --although still without the third (Comments) column. This problem remains unsolved.
4. In Studio, the file I happened to be using as a text for German>English testing was mislabeled by the client with the filename blah-blah_EN although it was actually in German. When I renamed it as blah-blah_DE, Studio gave me the option to select source and target languages properly (which it did not do before), and after that the terms in the glossary were recognized and they popped up. But without the third column. Paul tells me that once the source and target languages have been set for a translation, they cannot be changed. Strange, but true.

Susan
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A few answers... Mar 31, 2015

Susan Welsh wrote:

The tile also shows ... which generally means more info that does not fit in the space provided. If you look in the help for the Glossary Converter it says this in the section on Excel - "Xls, xlsx, txt and csv files are supported for input."

Susan Welsh wrote:

3. In Studio, for some reason my screen did not show a window for Termbase Recognition, only for Termbase Search. I didn't realize these were two different things. That's why my terms did not pop up, even when they were red-lined in the source text column of the editor. When I reset the windows and selected Termbase Recognition, the terms popped up --although still without the third (Comments) column. This problem remains unsolved.

In the Term Recognition window click on the second icon from the right called "Hitlist Settings". In there you can specify what information you wish to be displayed in the term recognition window.

Susan Welsh wrote:

4. ...Paul tells me that once the source and target languages have been set for a translation, they cannot be changed. Strange, but true.

Perhaps worth reviewing this very nice explanation about a number of things appropriate when working with Studio. Once the bilingual file has been created you've made your cup of tea!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah ha! Mar 31, 2015

That did it! (Hitlist) Now I can see my Comments and all my problems are solved (at least those pertaining to this Forum posting!) Thanks, Paul
I had looked at the Hitlist dialogue before and my eyes glazed over.

None of this stuff is in the users' manuals that "ship" with Studio, and there is no users' manual at all for Multiterm, according to what the SDL representative told me. Maybe the videos would have answered my questions, but you can't "look up" things in a video. Sur
... See more
That did it! (Hitlist) Now I can see my Comments and all my problems are solved (at least those pertaining to this Forum posting!) Thanks, Paul
I had looked at the Hitlist dialogue before and my eyes glazed over.

None of this stuff is in the users' manuals that "ship" with Studio, and there is no users' manual at all for Multiterm, according to what the SDL representative told me. Maybe the videos would have answered my questions, but you can't "look up" things in a video. Sure would be nice to have a **real** users' manual for translators.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe in here perhaps... Mar 31, 2015

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2014/client_en/screen_layout/Editor_View/TermRecWin.htm

But you're right, there isn't a simple step by step for using terminology in the provided documentation. You might be interested in the Studio Manual by Mats Linder which does do a better job of explaining this aspect... and
... See more
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2014/client_en/screen_layout/Editor_View/TermRecWin.htm

But you're right, there isn't a simple step by step for using terminology in the provided documentation. You might be interested in the Studio Manual by Mats Linder which does do a better job of explaining this aspect... and many others:

http://tradosstudiomanual.com/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Mar 31, 2015

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing my glossaries to Studio 2014

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »