Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:37
French to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2015

Hello,

I have an English source file and a Finnish target file in Word and I wonder how I could align these two files in Studio 2014 and create a new TM?

I tried the Align documents feature but it doesn't work with Word format. Do I need to convert them first? I don't have other versions of Trados anymore so I can't use WinAlign either.

Thank you very much for your help!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:37
French to German
+ ...
Aligning works fine with Word documents Mar 6, 2015

Hi Katja

This is surprising because the alignment feature fully supports the Word format. In fact, it handles all file types supported by Studio.

How did you proceed? Did you click on the button "Align Documents" in the Welcome View, select "Align Single File Pair".
In this step, you need to first select a translation memory in which the alignment results will be stored. I strongly suggest you create a separate TM for that purpose only, call it something like "Ali
... See more
Hi Katja

This is surprising because the alignment feature fully supports the Word format. In fact, it handles all file types supported by Studio.

How did you proceed? Did you click on the button "Align Documents" in the Welcome View, select "Align Single File Pair".
In this step, you need to first select a translation memory in which the alignment results will be stored. I strongly suggest you create a separate TM for that purpose only, call it something like "Alignment TM xxx". Use the button "Create" to do this.

Please note that the buttons "Add" and "Create" are used for the TM and NOT for adding the files to be aligned. This is probably what you did wrong.

In order to add the files you want to align, click on the button "Browse" for the source file and select your source WORD file, do the same for the target file and then click on "Finish".

That's it already.

Good Luck.
Walter
Collapse

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was a problem with the files Mar 6, 2015

Hi Walter,

I had proceeded as you said but I got many error messages, eg. Segmented paragraph structure is invalid. Structure of marks in paragraph :'{0>

Then I saved these as .txt files and tried again and this time the alignment worked very fast!

Thanks for your help!

Katja

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most of the text is missing? Mar 6, 2015

Actually, when I checked the alignment now more carefully, most of the text is not there, only some titles which seem to be correctly aligned. Is it supposed to work with txt files, too?
Strange that I could not add the word files, though, it would have been much easier.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:37
English
Looks to me... Mar 6, 2015

... as though you are working with Bilingual DOC files. If they are translated do you really need to align them?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tables interfered? Mar 7, 2015

The doc files contained a lot of tables, maybe this caused the problem first. When I edited the files and removed the tables, alignment worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment in Studio 2014

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »