Trados Studio 2014 on Mac - Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine
Thread poster: Silvia SG
Silvia SG
Silvia SG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2015

Hi All,

I am working on Trados Studio 2014 and I have installed it on a Macbook Air so it is running on Parallels.
I have the latest version of Office but when I try to confirm the translation of a segment it shows a message saying "unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine".
It is definitely installed and I opened word docs on Trados recently.
I also had Trados installed on Mac before and I know the function to confirm segments used to work.<
... See more
Hi All,

I am working on Trados Studio 2014 and I have installed it on a Macbook Air so it is running on Parallels.
I have the latest version of Office but when I try to confirm the translation of a segment it shows a message saying "unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine".
It is definitely installed and I opened word docs on Trados recently.
I also had Trados installed on Mac before and I know the function to confirm segments used to work.

If you have any suggestion it would be great.

Thanks!

Silvia
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:37
French to German
+ ...
MS Office must be installed in the same VM Mar 6, 2015

Hi Silvia

Just to make sure: in order for Studio to recognize the presence of WORD, you need to have installed MS Word (the Windows version) in the same virtual machine as Studio.

It is not going to work if you have only the Mac version of MS Office, such as Office:mac 2011, installed on the Mac host (even though this allows you to open Word documents).

Is this the case?

If yes, what happens when you go to "File - Options - Editor - Spellcheck
... See more
Hi Silvia

Just to make sure: in order for Studio to recognize the presence of WORD, you need to have installed MS Word (the Windows version) in the same virtual machine as Studio.

It is not going to work if you have only the Mac version of MS Office, such as Office:mac 2011, installed on the Mac host (even though this allows you to open Word documents).

Is this the case?

If yes, what happens when you go to "File - Options - Editor - Spellchecker" and try to change the spellchecker back to Hunspell and again back to MS Word. When you select "Word" in the drop-down list, Studio should take a few seconds to locate MS Office. Does this succeed or do you get an error message at this point?

If you do get an error when switching to MS Word, then something is wrong with your MS Office installation and we'll need to look into it in more depth.

Walter
Collapse

Silvia SG
United Kingdom
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio 2014 on Mac - Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine Mar 6, 2015

Hi Walter,

Thanks for getting back to me!
I think you are on the right track, the spellchecker works only on the Hunspell option otherwise it does not work and I have realised today that although I have office available it does not actually show in the Virtual Machine program list.
I thought the issue was that I am using Office 365.
However, SDL said that even though Office 365 might have some issues the "confirm segments" function should not have any problem.
... See more
Hi Walter,

Thanks for getting back to me!
I think you are on the right track, the spellchecker works only on the Hunspell option otherwise it does not work and I have realised today that although I have office available it does not actually show in the Virtual Machine program list.
I thought the issue was that I am using Office 365.
However, SDL said that even though Office 365 might have some issues the "confirm segments" function should not have any problem.
But if I understand correctly from what you say, I need to make sure Office is installed correctly on Windows.

I will look into this properly and will let you know if I sorted it.

Many thanks
Collapse

Silvia SG
United Kingdom
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados Studio 2014 on Mac - Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine Mar 6, 2015

Hi Walter,

It is now sorted.
As you said, Office was not installed on Windows but on Mac only and therefore Trados would not see it.
It seems fine for now!!

Thanks!!

Elena Sepúlveda
Elena Sepúlveda  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
trados Studio 2014 on Mac - Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine Jun 30, 2016

Hi Silvia,
I found your message. It looks like I have a similar problem to the one you had, although in OS. Windows 10 in a PC. I used a software to transfer one PC to another and it seems it placed programs in different partitions or locations.
I presume you need to have Microsoft Office 2016 in the same location within the hard drive, but
How do you install Word 2016 where you need it to be?
When I activate Setup for M.O. 2016 it starts the procedure and does not ask wh
... See more
Hi Silvia,
I found your message. It looks like I have a similar problem to the one you had, although in OS. Windows 10 in a PC. I used a software to transfer one PC to another and it seems it placed programs in different partitions or locations.
I presume you need to have Microsoft Office 2016 in the same location within the hard drive, but
How do you install Word 2016 where you need it to be?
When I activate Setup for M.O. 2016 it starts the procedure and does not ask where it should be installed.
Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Silvia SG
United Kingdom
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word on Mac for Studio Jun 30, 2016

I am not sure about that. I can explain to you how my Mac is set up though.
I have Windows 8 (still no 10 and not sure I want it) running on Parallel. I then have Office 365 as it is the only one currently compatible and I have it installed on both sides, the Mac side and the Windows side.
What I know is that if I have to install something that needs to run on Windows, I need to download it and install it whilst on Windows, otherwise it won't work.
I have been using Studio reg
... See more
I am not sure about that. I can explain to you how my Mac is set up though.
I have Windows 8 (still no 10 and not sure I want it) running on Parallel. I then have Office 365 as it is the only one currently compatible and I have it installed on both sides, the Mac side and the Windows side.
What I know is that if I have to install something that needs to run on Windows, I need to download it and install it whilst on Windows, otherwise it won't work.
I have been using Studio regularly and I had not had this issue any more.
Not sure this can help...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 on Mac - Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »