Thread poster: Shannon Summers
Shannon Summers
Shannon Summers  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Member (2008)
French to English
Feb 26, 2015

This problem goes way back to when I started using 2009. With my very first install of 2009, terms in the term recognition window were listed in the order they appeared in the text - which was great! Loved it. For some reason, out of the blue, that stopped working. Terms weren't even listed in alphabetical order (even by termbase), but totally at random.

I hoped the issue would correct itself when I upgraded to 2011 - but sadly, no. I just dealt with it, also hoping it would be reso
... See more
This problem goes way back to when I started using 2009. With my very first install of 2009, terms in the term recognition window were listed in the order they appeared in the text - which was great! Loved it. For some reason, out of the blue, that stopped working. Terms weren't even listed in alphabetical order (even by termbase), but totally at random.

I hoped the issue would correct itself when I upgraded to 2011 - but sadly, no. I just dealt with it, also hoping it would be resolved in 2014. Wrong again. I'm a big user of MultiTerm termbases, so I'm at the point now where it's getting really difficult to find the term I'm looking for in the list - my window is the entire height of my screen and I still have to scroll.

According to the Studio 2014 product Help, it says terms are supposed to be displayed alphabetically. But they're not in my case. Never have.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, are there any solutions/fixes? It's starting to get quite annoying!
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:32
English to French
They seem to be listed in order of appearance in text in my case Mar 6, 2015

Hi Shannon,

Right now I have several very large termbases activated, and terms seem to be listed in order of appearance in text. Then when some word comes up in several termbases, the hits are grouped by termbase, in the order of the termbases defined in project settings.

I found your email because I wondered about the sort order, and it was by reading your message that I realized they are in order of appearance in text...
See more
Hi Shannon,

Right now I have several very large termbases activated, and terms seem to be listed in order of appearance in text. Then when some word comes up in several termbases, the hits are grouped by termbase, in the order of the termbases defined in project settings.

I found your email because I wondered about the sort order, and it was by reading your message that I realized they are in order of appearance in text

I have Studio 2014 SP2.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just more options... Mar 6, 2015

Shannon Summers wrote:

This problem goes way back to when I started using 2009. ....

....... I hoped the issue would correct itself when I upgraded to 2011 - but sadly, no...

... According to the Studio 2014 product Help, it says terms are supposed to be displayed alphabetically. But they're not in my case. Never have...

... as we moved from 2009 through 2011 to 2014. Take a look at File -> Options -> AutoSuggest and you'll see there are three options:

- sort by shortest suggestions first
- sort by longest suggestions first
- sort suggestions alphabetically

The default is the second one (longest first) as thius was the overwhelming feedback we had. So if you prefer alphabetically then just select that one.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Shannon Summers
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting! Mar 7, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Take a look at File -> Options -> AutoSuggest and you'll see there are three options:

- sort by shortest suggestions first
- sort by longest suggestions first
- sort suggestions alphabetically

The default is the second one (longest first) as thius was the overwhelming feedback we had. So if you prefer alphabetically then just select that one.

SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. I would've never expected to look in the AutoSuggest options for something related to MultiTerm (I would think that they're not related at all, but maybe I'm mistaken?).

The option selected was indeed the default one (longest suggestions first). After I chose "sort suggestions alphabetically", terms were listed in the order of appearance in the text, not alphabetically. But I'm ok with that too!

I just think it's interesting that there still seems to be a hitch/bug in the system, that terms still can't be sorted alphabetically (if someone really wanted it that way).

I'm fine with the order of appearance in the text (even if that's not what was intended for that option ).

Thanks for the tip!

Shannon

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I probably didn't answer your actual question... Mar 7, 2015

... now I reflect on it earlier in the day!

These options really control how the results are presented as autosuggestions and in reality this doesn't affect the term recognition. Apologies for that.

I don't recall how 2009 used to present these results in the early days but I'll see if I can track back to where any change was made. I'm also not aware of a setting to change this order in the term recognition window, but it won't be the first time I was wrong!
... See more
... now I reflect on it earlier in the day!

These options really control how the results are presented as autosuggestions and in reality this doesn't affect the term recognition. Apologies for that.

I don't recall how 2009 used to present these results in the early days but I'll see if I can track back to where any change was made. I'm also not aware of a setting to change this order in the term recognition window, but it won't be the first time I was wrong!

I'll try and post back next week sometime if I discover something useful to help with this.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Shannon Summers
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
One tip Mar 7, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

I'm also not aware of a setting to change this order in the term recognition window...

SDL Community Support

Hi Paul,

No problem for the confusion, funny

You're right that there is no "setting" on how to sort the term order, but in the Termbase Search Settings window, I have the "Search all termbases in parallel and group results by term" option checked, which, according to the product help "The terms in the list are sorted into alphabetical order" (which doesn't happen in my case).

Hope that helps you in your quest for answers!

Shannon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition in Studio 2014 not listed in alphabetical order

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »