monica.m
Italy
Local time: 02:46
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 31, 2014

Hi,

I'm looking for help in translating Excel files with Studio 2011.

Can somebody give a hint where I can find a tutorial or instrucions?

Thanks a lot.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
More details needed Dec 31, 2014

Is it the first time you've translated an Excel file in Studio and you need basic help?
Have you got specific problems with a particular file? If so, what are they?

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Basic help Dec 31, 2014

Yes, basically I need to know how to get translation in the second column (or in desired column), how to translate with already existing text... yes how to manage translation of excel files.

Thank you.

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 07:46
English to Vietnamese
References Dec 31, 2014

dsd-sl wrote:

Yes, basically I need to know how to get translation in the second column (or in desired column), how to translate with already existing text... yes how to manage translation of excel files.

Thank you.

These links may be useful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277702-excel_to_sdlxliff_source_and_target_on_each_string.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277418-excel_handling_multiple_columns_where_text_should_be_translated.html

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 31, 2014

Thank you Linh

I wish you and everybody a happy and successful New Year

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
@dsd-sl Jan 1, 2015

Give it a try with this application, SDL Open Exchange - free

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/excellingstudio-708.html#70414

With Excelling Studio you can prepare complex Excel files for translation in SDL Trados Studio. The tool reads data from the columns and rows of excel files and converts them to a special XML f
... See more

With Excelling Studio you can prepare complex Excel files for translation in SDL Trados Studio. The tool reads data from the columns and rows of excel files and converts them to a special XML format. After finalizing the studio project, Excelling Studio will read the XML files back into the excel file, thus automatically generating a multilingual target excel file.

HTH
Collapse

Sean Boatwri (X)
Sean Boatwri (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Source Excel-file won't update Mar 20, 2015

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:

With Excelling Studio you can prepare complex Excel files for translation in SDL Trados Studio. The tool reads data from the columns and rows of excel files and converts them to a special XML format. After finalizing the studio project, Excelling Studio will read the XML files back into the excel file, thus automatically generating a multilingual target excel file.

HTH

I followed the instructions in detail, but the source Excel file won't update at the end. The attributes also show that the file has remained unchanged since before going through the Excelling Studio export, translate, import-process. Anyone else experience issues like this and know a solution? I love the concept of the program if i can just get it to work!

Excelling Studio won't update source file Mar 30, 2015

I also can't get Excelling Studio to update the source Excel file. I am using it together with Studio 2014. I don't know if that is the problem.

eivind
eivind
Local time: 08:46
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Excelling Studio Apr 14, 2015

Excelling Studio has an interface that is quite confusing, and the documentation is not too great either. In my opinion, it's probably only worth using if you are processing large and complex files. Their market is not really individual translators but translation service providers who receive ridiculous files from clients (we've all seen these, I think) and wish to provide clean, easily translatable files to their vendors; the price of the licensed version, which lets you save more than one con... See more
Excelling Studio has an interface that is quite confusing, and the documentation is not too great either. In my opinion, it's probably only worth using if you are processing large and complex files. Their market is not really individual translators but translation service providers who receive ridiculous files from clients (we've all seen these, I think) and wish to provide clean, easily translatable files to their vendors; the price of the licensed version, which lets you save more than one configuration, demonstrates this: €1,250. Yikes!

Excelling Studio does not seem to work with Excel 97-2004 documents (*.xls files), only *.xlsx. It does work with Studio 2014.

Anyway, here's how I made it to work:

1) Install the software, and make sure you enable the Excelling Studio XML file type definition that it creates in Trados Studio (Options > File Types). (Note that File Types settings are also project-specific!)

In Excelling Studio:
2) Go to the "Configuration" tab and create a configuration. This part is relatively straightforward, though the various functions can be quite useful. I recommend testing with a simple two-column source+target excel file first to make sure everything else works.

Next you create the xml file:
3) Go to the "Export" tab. Select the
   a) configuration in the list,
   b) the Excel file and
   c) an output location.
In the chosen output directory, a text log file will be created along with individual folders for each language definition. The file you need to translate is the xml file in the language folder.

Translate the xml file:
4) Add the xml file to Studio, and translate it as you would any other file. Do note that if you haven't enabled the file type definition, this will seem to work, but the output file will not be compatible with the next steps without any error indication! Do make sure that the "File Type Identifier" under "File Details" is shown as "Excelling Studio XML".

"Export" (from Studio)
5) Save the Target XML (again, check that "Save as type" in the dialog is shown as "Excelling Studio XML") into the language folder in the project folder (this is usually the default location, I think).

"Import" (into the Excel file):
6) Open Excelling Studio again, and go to the "Import" tab.
7) Select the
   a) configuration in the list,
   b) the Excel file from step 3b and
   c) the Studio project folder (the parent directory of the language folder from step 5).

8) Click "Import"

This should work.

Here's hoping SDL will implement at least some basic Excel parsing soon to bring it up to par with memoQ.

[Edited at 2015-04-14 04:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-14 04:47 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel files with Studio 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »