Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:53
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 20, 2014

Hello everyone!

I need to create a translation memory from a bilingual Excel file and I can't work out how to do it. The Excel file contains single terms and whole sentences and the language pair is Spanish>Portuguese.

I only found articles for previous Studio versions and most of them suggest using a CSV (Comma delimited) file. The problem is that (my) Studio won't recognise it as a translatable file type.

Is there an easy way to do this in Studio 2014?... See more
Hello everyone!

I need to create a translation memory from a bilingual Excel file and I can't work out how to do it. The Excel file contains single terms and whole sentences and the language pair is Spanish>Portuguese.

I only found articles for previous Studio versions and most of them suggest using a CSV (Comma delimited) file. The problem is that (my) Studio won't recognise it as a translatable file type.

Is there an easy way to do this in Studio 2014?

Thank you for your help!

Catarina Lopes
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:53
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Excel files probably are not allowed Dec 20, 2014

Hi!
As far as I can see from the following article:
Overview: Importing and Exporting Translation Memory Data
(http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/TM_View/TM_Data/Importing_Exporting_TM_Data/O_ImExpTM.htm)
what you are trying to do is not among the possibilities.
The a
... See more
Hi!
(http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/TM_View/TM_Data/Importing_Exporting_TM_Data/O_ImExpTM.htm)
The article says,¨
"Importing
Data can be imported in these formats:
Translation Memory Exchange Documents (*.tmx, * . tmz.gz)
SDL XLIFF Bilingual Documents (*.sdlxliff)
TRADOStag Documents (*.ttx)
SDL Edit Documents (*.itd)"

As far as I can see, you need an application called Oliphant to be able to create a tmx file from an Excel file. I have not used it myself, but have heard quite a few others mentioning it.

Another way would be to create two documents, one with the source column and another with the target column, and align the two. Of course, this can result in quite a lot of work, so probably the Oliphant path is much easier.
Collapse

Mohamed Zidan

Catarina Lopes
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Roy! Dec 20, 2014

Hi Roy!

Thank you for your reply!

I initially thought about the possibility of aligning source and target files, as you suggested. But, as this is quite a large file, I wondered if there was an easier way to create a TM from a bilingual Excel file.

I think this feature existed in previous versions of Studio.
... See more
Hi Roy!

Thank you for your reply!

I initially thought about the possibility of aligning source and target files, as you suggested. But, as this is quite a large file, I wondered if there was an easier way to create a TM from a bilingual Excel file.

I think this feature existed in previous versions of Studio. I found these articles:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4718.html
http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/10/creating-a-tm-from-a-termbase-or-glossary-in-sdl-trados-studio/
http://blog.cinciala.eu/?p=816

but keep having problems opening CSV files in Studio.

Thank you for the tip on Oliphant. I'll try it!

Have a good weekend!

Catarina Lopes

[Edited at 2014-12-20 21:06 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
No, csv would probably have been listed Dec 20, 2014

I take it the reason has not listed the scv format, is that they have not included it among the allowed formats. It's a pity since it would often make it much simpler to import a translation memory from another program. So I am not sure why they have removed that possibility

I have not checked, but there is a possibility you could import it as a term database instead, though having whole sentences in the term database doesn't make good sense.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
By far the easiest way... Dec 20, 2014

... is probably to use the Glossary Converter. This can convert your spreadsheet/csv directly to a TMX with a drag and drop.

Regards

Paul

adrwshn

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
CSV is listed... Dec 20, 2014

... and it should work. Perhaps you just need to configure your csv filetype appropriately?

Regards

Paul

Catarina Lopes
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paul! Dec 20, 2014

I used the Glossary Converter and it worked perfectly!

I didn't know Glossary Converter could convert to TMX. I thought it only created Multiterm termbases, which would probably not work as this Excel file has whole sentences.

This is a great tool! Thank you for your help.

I'll look into the CSV issue again and try to find out what went wrong.

Have a good weekend!

Catarina Lopes

Mohamed Zidan
Mohamed Zidan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2017)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks, it's a life saver Sep 15, 2018

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Hi!
The article says,¨
"Importing
Data can be imported in these formats:
Translation Memory Exchange Documents (*.tmx, * . tmz.gz)
SDL XLIFF Bilingual Documents (*.sdlxliff)
TRADOStag Documents (*.ttx)
SDL Edit Documents (*.itd)"

As far as I can see, you need an application called Oliphant to be able to create a tmx file from an Excel file. I have not used it myself, but have heard quite a few others mentioning it.

Another way would be to create two documents, one with the source column and another with the target column, and align the two. Of course, this can result in quite a lot of work, so probably the Oliphant path is much easier.

Steps for doing so.

https://thewordmatrix.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/creating-a-tmx-file-from-excel-or-other-formats/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a TM from a bilingual Excel file on SDL Studio 2014

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »