Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 17, 2014

Dear All,

I have Studio 2011.

A client of mine would like me to translate files for a Portuguese speaking African country, where the ending of the file would be PT-AO. My version of Studio does not support this, but Studio 2014 does.

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4878#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4878

... See more
Dear All,

I have Studio 2011.

A client of mine would like me to translate files for a Portuguese speaking African country, where the ending of the file would be PT-AO. My version of Studio does not support this, but Studio 2014 does.

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4878#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4878

I have explained to my client that the file could have the PT-PT ending and still have the Portuguese according to the "old" spelling rules which are still used in Portuguese speaking African countries. But my client really wants me to work on a package with PT-AO ending.

Is there any "workaround" I can use to resolve this situation? I do not want/wish to install new or demo versions of 2014 because I have a special license I bought two years ago which includes 2 x Studio 2011 plus 3 x Trados 2007.

Any help/suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ana Vozone
Collapse

It is the characters that are supported. Dec 17, 2014

Hi Ana,

it is the characters that are supported within the TM as opposed to individual language variations, so if the desired language (the African uses the same characters are standard Portuguese then you will be compatible.

A work around that could work for you, would be to create a new Translation Memory using standard PT to Brazilian PT and you will be able use this for your African variation, maybe put this in the name of the TM when you save it.

Hope
... See more
Hi Ana,

it is the characters that are supported within the TM as opposed to individual language variations, so if the desired language (the African uses the same characters are standard Portuguese then you will be compatible.

A work around that could work for you, would be to create a new Translation Memory using standard PT to Brazilian PT and you will be able use this for your African variation, maybe put this in the name of the TM when you save it.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Steven Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive.
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I open a PT-AO package? Dec 17, 2014

Thanks, Steve, but I do not think this would work.

My client wants me to work on a package the ending of which is PT-AO.

My Studio 2011 won't open this package,

Maybe I did not understand your suggestion, but I do not see how this will "technically" enable me to open the package.

Many thanks
Ana

AnyTM app in the Open Exchange Dec 17, 2014

Hi Ana,

We do have the following app on our OpenExchange site that may assist you with this language pair, however it is only compatible with Studio 2014 -

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudioanytmtranslationprovider-669.html#65697

If you would like, you can send us the
... See more
Hi Ana,

We do have the following app on our OpenExchange site that may assist you with this language pair, however it is only compatible with Studio 2014 -

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltradosstudioanytmtranslationprovider-669.html#65697

If you would like, you can send us the TM you have to try with this add-on before you consider upgrading to 2014.

Kind Regards,

Steven Barlow

SDL Customer Experience Executive
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Steve Dec 17, 2014

but, for the time being, I really do not wish to upgrade, as this particular case is a "one-off" situation, and I am not yet prepared to invest again on Studio software, as my Studio package is only 2 years old and I hope it lasts a few more years, after having paid around 500 euros...

I am still a great fan of Trados 2007, which was perfect for my needs. And because it did not work with Word 2010, I had to buy Studio.

It is hard for a translator to keep up with all the
... See more
but, for the time being, I really do not wish to upgrade, as this particular case is a "one-off" situation, and I am not yet prepared to invest again on Studio software, as my Studio package is only 2 years old and I hope it lasts a few more years, after having paid around 500 euros...

I am still a great fan of Trados 2007, which was perfect for my needs. And because it did not work with Word 2010, I had to buy Studio.

It is hard for a translator to keep up with all the updates, not only Studio, but Windows, Word, etc. It seems that by the time I finally got all programs interacting well, they suddenly became obsolete. It's a pity!

Many thanks for your help and suggestions, anyway!
Ana
Collapse

rui duarte
rui duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to French
+ ...
PT-AO unconstitutional and irrational Dec 17, 2014

AO, specially for Portuguese Euro-Afro-Asiatic usages and accent, are destroying orthography in Portugal. Besides, it's unconstitutional. And in Africa, mainly in Angola and Mozambique (not only) the so-called "old" (the legitime and usual) spelling it's the one used. Selling things to these countries written according to AO90 is insulting. For instance, the huge editorial empire Porto Editora has to prepare normal orthographic versions of school books, because they don't accept AO90.
I do
... See more
AO, specially for Portuguese Euro-Afro-Asiatic usages and accent, are destroying orthography in Portugal. Besides, it's unconstitutional. And in Africa, mainly in Angola and Mozambique (not only) the so-called "old" (the legitime and usual) spelling it's the one used. Selling things to these countries written according to AO90 is insulting. For instance, the huge editorial empire Porto Editora has to prepare normal orthographic versions of school books, because they don't accept AO90.
I don't any translator who would do this job. At least, I won't.

The so-called Lince so-called "official" conversor can be used by those interested with MS Word files. But the software even violates the AO90!
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sure it's a language issue? Dec 18, 2014

Hi Ana,

if I understand correctly from your words...

Ana Vozone wrote:
My Studio 2011 won't open this package,

Maybe I did not understand your suggestion, but I do not see how this will "technically" enable me to open the package.
Ana

Your problem really is opening the package the client sent you, right? Would your client have created the package in Studio 2014, while you are using 2011? If so, that might be the proeblem, unrelated to the language.

Can you investigate? You could always ask your client to send you the individual files to translate and an existing TM, from which you would then create the project in your Studio 2011.

Hope this helps.

José B. Ruivo

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... but still unable to open the files Jan 6, 2015

Thank you, José Ruivo.

However, I have searched for more information, namely on the SDL Support page, only to find out that apparently I will have to buy a Support Package to resolve this situation.

I.e., SDL are not providing any more support to Studio 2011 users... this is what it seems, anyway.

So, my question is: What is the meaning of PT-AO? PT-Angolan, or PT-Acordo Ortográfico? If only I knew what the AO means, I could discuss possible solutions wit
... See more
Thank you, José Ruivo.

However, I have searched for more information, namely on the SDL Support page, only to find out that apparently I will have to buy a Support Package to resolve this situation.

I.e., SDL are not providing any more support to Studio 2011 users... this is what it seems, anyway.

So, my question is: What is the meaning of PT-AO? PT-Angolan, or PT-Acordo Ortográfico? If only I knew what the AO means, I could discuss possible solutions with my client.

I really only need to know what AO stands for in Studio 2014...

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Happy New Year!
Ana
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
Jan 6, 2015

[Edited at 2015-01-06 19:19 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:55
English
PT-AO and support Jan 6, 2015

Ana Vozone wrote:

So, my question is: What is the meaning of PT-AO? PT-Angolan, or PT-Acordo Ortográfico? If only I knew what the AO means, I could discuss possible solutions with my client.

Hi Ana,

Studio 2011 is still supported. But free support tends to be limited to Licensing and Installation. We do have a free community forum you could use at http://bit.ly/sdlcommunity logging in with your MySDL credentials and this can provide more than just licensing and installation... but without the guaranteed responses.

Anyway... PT-AO is Portuguese-Angola. I think Acordo Ortográficon is simply PT-PT but I could be wrong on this point!

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Open in zip program and edit in text editor? Jan 7, 2015

Ana Vozone wrote:
But my client really wants me to work on a package with PT-AO ending. ... Is there any "workaround" I can use to resolve this situation?

Isn't it true that you can simply open the package in a zip program (e.g. 7-zip), and then open each SDLXLIFF file inside it using a good text editor (I use Akelpad) and change the language codes via find/replace? Or will this affect TM matching from a TM contained inside the package?

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening in Zip and editing in text editor Jan 13, 2015

Many thanks, Samuel, for your suggestion, but it does not work at all, I am afraid...

This whole thing of PT-AO seems to be an unnecessary feature added by SDL to embellish their software and make it unusable by Studio 2011 users... i.e., this is something to force Studio 2011 users translating into African Portuguese to buy Studio 2014! Shame on SDL!!!!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Or... Jan 13, 2015

Ana Vozone wrote:
This whole thing of PT-AO seems to be an unnecessary feature added by SDL to embellish their software and make it unusable by Studio 2011 users...

Or, it could be that they received requests from 2011 users that PT-AO be supported in the next version of the program, and so they added it. Either way, I think it is silly for a CAT tool to support only a limited number of language codes.

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but Jan 13, 2015

considering that Portuguese speaking African countries use the same spelling as pre-Acordo Ortográfico European Portuguese, and therefore it is basically a matter of turning on or off the "new rules", I do not see why PT-PT should not be compatible with PT-AO in Studio...

You are probably right about PT-AO possibly having been added following a request from PT-AO translators, but still...

In any case, many thanks for your comments!
Ana

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Wrong... Jan 14, 2015

Ana Vozone wrote:

You are probably right about PT-AO possibly having been added following a request from PT-AO translators, but still...

Hi Ana, Samuel,

This is actually the result of PT-AO being introduced, along with a number of other languages, in Windows 8. Studio as you probably know uses the languages of the operating system you have, so if a user with Win8 and Studio 2014 creates a Project they will have these languages available. If a user of Win 7 and Studio 2014 receives the project they will not be able to handle it, as you have found out with Studio 2011.

So, when Studio 2014 SP2 was released a fix was provided to do something we don not normally do. We added the languages for Win8 into the installer of Studio 2014 SP2 to cater for the differences in operating systems.

Studio 2011 has not been changed in this way. At the moment I'm not sure if there has been a fix provided for Studio 2011, or if there will be one. If I find one I'll post back here with the appropriate details.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese for African countries PT-AO

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »