Thread poster: AKIRAtrans
AKIRAtrans
AKIRAtrans
Belgium
Local time: 02:39
English
Nov 19, 2014

Hi,
Does anyone know a tool or a method to re-index a batch of translation memories? Re-indexing is recommended for Studio 2014 SP2, but this may take a while if you have a few hundreds of TMs to re-index...
Thanks, Lieven

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Reasonable approach Nov 19, 2014

Hi Lieven,

I sincerely believe you don't use all these few hundreds of TMs at once. Why not updating them as needed?

Natalia

AKIRAtrans
AKIRAtrans
Belgium
English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Reasonable approach Nov 19, 2014

Hi Natalia,
Thanks for your reply.
I had indeed thought about re-indexing on a usage-based approach. The 'disadvantages' of this are that I then have to rely on my colleagues/Project Managers not forgetting it, and that it'll take time and effort to keep track of which TMs have already been re-indexed and which haven't.
I was therefore hoping to be able to perform this task on all TMs at the same time in order to get it over and done with...
If no tool or method exists fo
... See more
Hi Natalia,
Thanks for your reply.
I had indeed thought about re-indexing on a usage-based approach. The 'disadvantages' of this are that I then have to rely on my colleagues/Project Managers not forgetting it, and that it'll take time and effort to keep track of which TMs have already been re-indexed and which haven't.
I was therefore hoping to be able to perform this task on all TMs at the same time in order to get it over and done with...
If no tool or method exists for batch processing, this will indeed be the approach that we adopt.
Lieven
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Re-Index Tms Nov 26, 2014

Hi Lieven,

That was a good idea... so we made one. Was pretty simple and we made it available free of charge via the OpenExchange.

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/reindextms-703.html#69496

This app allows you to drag and drop all your TMs into a single interface and click a button. It then does three things:
... See more
Hi Lieven,

That was a good idea... so we made one. Was pretty simple and we made it available free of charge via the OpenExchange.

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/reindextms-703.html#69496

This app allows you to drag and drop all your TMs into a single interface and click a button. It then does three things:

1. Checks the box to make the new alphanumerics is enabled
2. Re-indexes the TM
3. Does this to all the TMs at the same time

How efficient it is will depend on how many spare resources you have on your computer, but it does speed things up quite a lot by running them simultaneously and with you not having to open one at a time and manually do the clicks.

I also don't know what will happen if you throw thousands of TMs at it... but anyone does that let me know! For many users I'm sure this will be perfectly adequate and helpful for a one-off task.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

AKIRAtrans
AKIRAtrans
Belgium
English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Re-indexing multiple TMs Nov 27, 2014

You're a star, Paul!

Susanne Aldridge
Susanne Aldridge
Local time: 20:39
English to German
Updated Link for Re-Indexing App? Dec 7, 2021

Paul - the link doesn't seem to work anymore, I understand it's an old post but this is still something I'd love to see.
I am managing many languages, and many projects and it would be nice to select all my translation memories, click "Re-Index" and leave my desk for lunch or the day.
Selecting them one by one, watching the progress bar, and clicking OK multiple times is getting old And then do that for 5 to 14 languag
... See more
Paul - the link doesn't seem to work anymore, I understand it's an old post but this is still something I'd love to see.
I am managing many languages, and many projects and it would be nice to select all my translation memories, click "Re-Index" and leave my desk for lunch or the day.
Selecting them one by one, watching the progress bar, and clicking OK multiple times is getting old And then do that for 5 to 14 languages...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-indexing multiple TMs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »