SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
English to Arabic
Can I skip version updates Apr 16, 2015

Hi Meyers,

Meyers wrote:

What is you purchased Studio 2014 in 2014?

Can you skip the update this year and pay the yearly update fee only in 2016, and get all the updated made in 2015 and 2016?

SDL never force you to upgrade. You only need to upgrade when you want/need to or of course like the new features.

During the course on any given release, hot fixes and Service Packs are always free of charge (like SP1 and SP2 in Studio 2014)-If you were to skip updating in 2015 and waited until 2016 of course you would get the most up to date service release.

Kind regards

Steve

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Local time: 09:59
English to Dutch
feature source above - target below Apr 16, 2015

Thank you Steve

I hope the developers listened to the translators and finally the feature source above - target below is included?

Thanks

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Really? Apr 16, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:
SDL never force you to upgrade.

Recently I had to re-install my W7 together with SDL 2009 in my laptop (the 2nd 'free' installation apart from the desktop one) and found out that now I don't have that extra license (which is seen in the login area/Licenses) ... Times are changing...

[Edited at 2015-04-16 19:04 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why not? Apr 16, 2015

Radian Yazynin wrote:

Recently I had to re-install my W7 together with SDL 2009 in my laptop (the 2nd 'free' installation apart from the desktop one) and found out that now I don't have that extra license (which is seen in the login area/Licenses) ... Times are changing...

I can see it in your account. Why do you think you don't have it?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Strange indeed, and thanks Paul Apr 16, 2015

Yesterday I had been checking my account - there was Available 0 of 0, so after several attempts of unsuccessful activation I had to leave all as is, while today, after your note, it is 0/1. Maybe some problem with the server? Anyway thanks for helping me out! The issue is closed.

Darko Kolega
Darko Kolega  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2009)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Studio 2015 Apr 16, 2015

I just purchased 4 licences foer new release and look forward to use it - I don't understand anyone arguing about releases, it is not expensive at all and with normal job load one can earn it in less than a week. So good luck in this season and I wish you regular jobs so you can upgrade your tools (toys:)

sunny greetings from Dalmatia

eivind
eivind
Local time: 15:59
English to Norwegian
+ ...
above below above below above below Apr 17, 2015

Meyers wrote:

Thank you Steve

I hope the developers listened to the translators and finally the feature source above - target below is included?

Thanks

This would be worth the update price. Any other features? Not sure.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
above below above below above below above below above below Apr 17, 2015

If this "above below" materializes, (to say nothing of the awful column firmly stuck in-between source and target lgs.) I might reconsider the idea of switching to memoQ.
I'm not holding my breath, though.

Sandra

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Let's place bets! Apr 17, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

If this "above below" materializes, (to say nothing of the awful column firmly stuck in-between source and target lgs.) I might reconsider the idea of switching to memoQ.

Sandra

Let's place bets! I'll bet 100 bucks that Studio 2015 will (again):

• not be able to merge segments across paragraph marks;
  • not be able to skip faulty segments while exporting the target files (instead of just refusing to produce anything at all);
  • still not be able to reliably detect and suggest all terms contained in a termbase, no matter how long the source segment is.

• Anyone?

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-17 11:37 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
    Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2007)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    There is plenty more to bet on: Apr 17, 2015

Studio 2015 will (again):

• still not be able to provide "AutoSuggest" with on-the-fly suggestion of words and phrases while typing, like Deja Vu does, without an add-on dictionary and without a special tool.

• Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
    Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
    Israel
    French to English
    + ...
    Upgrade yes, but... new version? Apr 17, 2015

As others have remarked, this seems to be a paid bug-fixing release rather than anything new and awesome that deserves to be called a new version.
    In this case, I'd rather try alternatives than pay for patches that should have been included in what I already paid for.

Sandra

BTW, Erik, your wishlist actually consists of problems that should have been solved long ago...

[Edited at 2015-04-1
    ... See more
    As others have remarked, this seems to be a paid bug-fixing release rather than anything new and awesome that deserves to be called a new version.
    In this case, I'd rather try alternatives than pay for patches that should have been included in what I already paid for.

Sandra

BTW, Erik, your wishlist actually consists of problems that should have been solved long ago...

[Edited at 2015-04-17 12:30 GMT]
    Collapse

Erik Freitag
    Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Exactly. Apr 17, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

[Edited at 2015-04-17 12:30 GMT]

Yes, that's my point exactly.

Anyway, I'm still not able to find any information about what the new version actually encompasses - attempts to download the so-called "preview sheet" consistently fail. Can anybody share their information on this?

Meyers (X)
    Meyers (X)
    English to Dutch
    Above - Below 1 segment Apr 17, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

Sandra

I agree. The column with the percentages in the centre is very irritating.
    Source left - Target right is irritating too, I think.

At least they could give the option of Above - Below, for at least the segment you are working on, just like in MemoQ.

AndersonT (X)
    AndersonT (X)  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 03:59
    German to English
    Bummer... Apr 17, 2015

So I guess I paid and studied to get 2014 SDL-certified basically for naught as certifications expire once a new version is out.

YAY!!! Please milk me, because you know, of all the "professional" trades translators really have the best income!!! Money and time to burn, I say!!!

(Not that being certified would have gotten me any extra work to begin with... :/ )

Dmitry Pakidov
    Dmitry Pakidov
    Russian Federation
    Features of the new version Apr 17, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

I'm still not able to find any information about what the new version actually encompasses - attempts to download the so-called "preview sheet" consistently fail. Can anybody share their information on this?

Here’s a mirror.

The new website section contains zero factual information about the actual features of this “new” version and instead contains only vague and ambiguous wordings that might as well be applicable to any Studio version released so far, and the “preview sheet” isn’t much better in this respect, although it does give you some clues about what to expect:

- AutoCorrect feature
    - Ability to process noneditable PDF files
    - User interface is to adapt to the way you use the program (somehow)
    - New user interface style (if I were to guess, it’s probably going to copy the MS Office 2013 style)
    - New user interface languages: Korean, Italian and Russian

To be honest, such manner of presenting information about something that is posed to be a whole new product version rather than a content update is rather worrying, as I’d call such behaviour typical for a situation when a company has nothing to offer and is just milking the franchise.

[Edited at 2015-04-17 15:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015?

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »